Has anyWine seen my Poutine? A friendly January 2020 dining report * The Plaza Part 2 4/24**

Now the taste was good; spicy but not as good as the regular Refreshment Port BM. The problem here was those pieces of cracker floating around in there like you'd put in a bowl of soup - hence the name of the drink. First they kept getting in the way every time I took a sip which was just annoying but after about 10 minutes or so Jenny and I both agree the sogginess was off-putting. I only drank about half of this and trashed the rest which is not normal for me.
Yeah, those crackers totally ruined what should have been a great start to our day of drinking...

REALLY Jenny, we can't take him anywhere!
What the heck is he doing??? Is he licking the statue???

We ended up in Germany and I wanted to stop and listen to the band for a bit. Apparently they've been there in the past? But were new to me and they were rockin'
They were really good and Joe and I liked them too.

My mom is German and my great-grandmother was right off the boat and whatever you picture when you think of an old, immigrant German full bodied woman, that was her! And these guys sounded like my GG when she got angry and started yelling in German lol. I say that in a good way with love ❤
SAME!!!!!! We are like soul mates. LOL! :love2:

The wine was good; not as sweet as what I usually drink which would be either Reisling or Moscato but good enough that I wished the cup was bigger!
Me too. I think Joe liked it too and even said he wanted a bigger glass. LOL!

This is artist Trevor Carlton. We saw him last year and thought his performance was fantastic so we suggested to Jen and Joe that we watch and they agreed it was awesome
OMG!!!! He was sooooo good and I'm soooooo happy you had us watch him. That's something I would definitely do again!!!

Festival of the Arts looks kind of cool. I would love to see some of the artists, especially Paige O'hara there someday :lovestruc

We were there for opening and since the booths weren't open yet, we visited space Jesus and then went in to the Odyssey building to do the Epcot Experience. If you haven't done this yet it's an exhibit showing all that's coming to the park and it's pretty neat!

I kind of can't wait until it's all done. Seeing the pictures of all the construction going on there at the moment kind of breaks my heart. I'm hoping it's not as bad as the pictures make it seem when we go in March!

Mary Poppins will be there eventually!

:love:

We all were in the mood for a late morning Bloody Mary so we turned right and went toward the Refreshment Port where we ALWAYS find one. For every festival and even when there's no festival there's a different incarnation of a Bloody Mary there!

Oh, my! They better be there for F&G…all the Bloody Mary's I keep promising Mike are going away…ie, California Grill Brunch >:(

If this one doesn't come back, I'll never live it down!

Mediterranean Flatbread with Zaatar, Olive Oil Artichoke, Olives, Mozzarella and Feta Cheese

That looks good, but then, I love everything on it 😋

We left WDW before the Festival opened. We've been there in prior years and lets just say, it is better than no event at all. ;)

It looks like you had nice weather that day.

We ended up in Germany and I wanted to stop and listen to the band for a bit. Apparently they've been there in the past? But were new to me and they were rockin'
It sounds like something we should try to listen to if they are there all year long. :)
Out of all 4 festivals I think the food options are weakest at the Arts but so far they were better than the previous year and I do really enjoy all the other activities and entertainment the festival brings.
I'm impressed with how creative the food is. I don't think I would buy most of the choices, though. I'm not very adventurous.

Mmm, the flatbread does look tasty. I have recently become a big fan of artichokes, too!

VERY weird to have crackers floating in bloody marys, I don't care how on theme it is LOL

I'd love to see the F.Arts at some point, but the timing is just not great for the teacher in me! SOME day!

Sushi Donut: Donut-shaped Sushi featuring Salmon, Tuna, Shrimp, Cucumber and Sesame Seed over a decorated plate of Wasabi Aïoli, Sriracha and Eel Sauce

Chad would have loved this. He loves all types of Sushi. Me, I only liked the fully cooked versions. I'm really sad we didn't get much F.ARTS time. It was our first time trying out this festival but we had such a short visit and the boys were with us. I'm hoping next year, we can squeeze another adult only trip into our trip schedule. It's really up to my parents but this year we are only planning one as opposed to our 2 last year so fingers crossed.

Yes he watches that too! :laughing:
And now what about the newest one "Save My Skin"???
What the heck is he doing??? Is he licking the statue???
:rotfl2: I think it looks like he's smelling her :P
SAME!!!!!! We are like soul mates. LOL! :love2:
:love:
OMG!!!! He was sooooo good and I'm soooooo happy you had us watch him. That's something I would definitely do again!!!
I do love the performances at this festival and his is so fun!
I kind of can't wait until it's all done. Seeing the pictures of all the construction going on there at the moment kind of breaks my heart. I'm hoping it's not as bad as the pictures make it seem when we go in March!
I know lots of people are complaining and it looks sad on the approach. BUT, from WS you really don't notice other than Ratatouille which is so exciting so it hasn't bothered me much.
Oh, my! They better be there for F&G…all the Bloody Mary's I keep promising Mike are going away…ie, California Grill Brunch :(
If they'd release the menus we'd know! I hate the thought of those wonderful BM's not being there anymore.
We left WDW before the Festival opened. We've been there in prior years and lets just say, it is better than no event at all. ;)
I do really like the activities and performances. Besides the artists on stage there are some other performers we've watched and the living statues are fun to see.
It sounds like something we should try to listen to if they are there all year long. :)
I feel like every time there's a new band or entertainment group in WS - the next time we're they're their gone :(
I'm impressed with how creative the food is. I don't think I would buy most of the choices, though. I'm not very adventurous.
The presentations are wonderful but I do feel the actual taste and offerings overall are better at the other festivals.
VERY weird to have crackers floating in bloody marys, I don't care how on theme it is LOL
It was just yucky lol
I'd love to see the F.Arts at some point, but the timing is just not great for the teacher in me! SOME day!
I don't know how Renee @ArielSRL managed but I know January isn't a good time for teachers!
Chad would have loved this. He loves all types of Sushi. Me, I only liked the fully cooked versions.
Yeah I'm not a sushi or seafood person so it was out for me but it sure looked pretty lol
I'm hoping next year, we can squeeze another adult only trip into our trip schedule.
You can never have enough adult only trips!

Usually we only see the bears out here so I was excited to see Br'er Rabbit. We met him YEARS ago at AK.
Awesome meet! I hope we see more rare characters out and about!
We had to stop back at our room to get all fancied up for dinner but first, one of many trips to Roaring Fork for the stars of the WDW snacklife:
I have a magic bar question for you since you are the resident expert. Are there nuts in them? If so, what kind? I am deadly allergic to everything except peanuts and almonds.
We were so full from dinner and the additional amounts of wine and bourbon we consumed that we did not get dessert, but instead sat for a long time catching up and enjoying a few HEA fireworks simply by turning around in our seats. I did get a cappuccino:
Fabulous dinner but did your filet actually cost $72???? :eek: Or was that for the ribeye upgrade?
We were there for opening and since the booths weren't open yet, we visited space Jesus and then went in to the Odyssey building to do the Epcot Experience. If you haven't done this yet it's an exhibit showing all that's coming to the park and it's pretty neat!
Putting this on the list for July!
The paintings are for sale at the end but um, they're a bit out of our budget especially if we wanted to continue eating and drinking! Out of all 4 festivals I think the food options are weakest at the Arts but so far they were better than the previous year and I do really enjoy all the other activities and entertainment the festival brings.
Looks like you had an awesome day!

lobster were nice and chunky
I like his description of the lobster!! :)

Now the taste was good; spicy but not as good as the regular Refreshment Port BM. The problem here was those pieces of cracker floating around in there like you'd put in a bowl of soup - hence the name of the drink. First they kept getting in the way every time I took a sip which was just annoying but after about 10 minutes or so Jenny and I both agree the sogginess was off-putting. I only drank about half of this and trashed the rest which is not normal for me.
I got this too! I think I just got it for the cup, LOL.
I ended up eating this with a spoon like a gaspacho as that was the only way I could eat the croutons and the microgreens before they all got in the way.

Huh! Looks good and another breakfast option in Epcot is always welcome.
Oh that looks good! I like that there is another hot breakfast option in Epcot!

I love sparkles! And the wine really got my creative juices flowing as you see in my masterpiece behind me.
We got this too, very yummy, and what a fantastic drawing behind you! :thumbsup2

Ooohhh I want to hear more about the yummy looking magic bars!
Hello and :welcome: Don't worry there will be more magic bar mentions for sure lol. It's like a happy mix of so many sweet things :goodvibes A perfect go-to breakfast, late night snack, after drinking snack............

Now I don't think he watches that one because I haven't heard him talk about it.
I want to say last week was the first episode? It's kind of like Dr Pimple Popper but like, worse cases.....
have a magic bar question for you since you are the resident expert. Are there nuts in them? If so, what kind? I am deadly allergic to everything except peanuts and almonds.
Well it does have tons of coconut all over it :ssst: Otherwise I'm honestly not 100% sure! They aren't obvious but I've always thought I taste some type of nuts; I never ask since I don't have any issues with any nuts. The crust is like a heavier and a bit sweeter graham cracker crust/blondie brownie cross? so I don't think any nuts there. Then you have little chocolate pieces like broken m&m's, small pieces of chocolate chips, the coconut and again I swear something else I can't place. Since they are supposed to be at POR too and we're there for 1 night in April I'll ask!

Fabulous dinner but did your filet actually cost $72???? :eek: Or was that for the ribeye upgrade?
Ha ha no and I didn't even realize I posted the price! That was the price for the ribeye upgrade which I don't get :)
I like his description of the lobster!! :)
I did think of you when I wrote it!
I ended up eating this with a spoon like a gaspacho as that was the only way I could eat the croutons and the microgreens before they all got in the way.
Good idea, I just got frustrated and kept turning the cup to try getting them out of the way :laughing: I did enjoy the presentation.
Oh that looks good! I like that there is another hot breakfast option in Epcot!
Me too! If it's still there in July and we have the opportunity I'd definitely try it!

Tonight is all about catching up on Real Housewives of the Jersey Shore 👊 And while doing so I'm trying to figure out dining for our September trip with our DGD and it's soooooo hard!! I'm not used to thinking much about dining reservations ahead of time but I am used to suggesting dining for first timers and people with small kids, so I don't know why I'm drawing blanks 😭 My DIL wants BOG lunch and San Angel Inn along with just about every MK snack she sees on Pinterest but otherwise she's leaving it all up to me! I know we are NOT doing CRT; probably Akershus and I'm seriously considering Bon Voyage since I want the food but don't want to do the characters just Steve and I and the boys flat out refuse. We are doing 5 parks days with MK twice; I'd love to do a signature with them but rather stick with in park dining other than Bon Voyage and probably a meal at either WCC or in DS on arrival day depending on what time our flight gets in. My DIL is so excited since it's her first trip too and that makes me so happy!!!

Now let's get back to the after F.ARTS party!
So after Epcot we got back in our Joe/UBER vehicle and rode over to AK to continue our eating and day into evening drinking. We ventured deep into the jungles and rainforests on a safari and then visited some kitties while Jenny and Joe flew with banshees:

Look at this little guy waiting for his food to drop! Or for some human to break into his area, whichever happy event occurs first.
I need to share this because I'm not sure *** with my face:

About half past hanger time we headed over to one of our homes away from home at our "home", Nomad Lounge! It was PACKED outside and inside too; remember this was a holiday weekend. We were also meeting a few more friends so needed lots of space! We found it by Steve honing in on a chair when he noticed a family getting ready to leave and sat there talking to them about Starbucks lol. Hey it did the trick! Eventually when everyone arrived it looked like this minus a few:

That's Renee @ArielSRL , Melinda @pepperandchips , Renee's adorable son Will next to me, the young and beautiful Molly @Mollydolly334 with Su-Lynn @chunkymonkey behind her and then our trip buddies Joe and Jenny @Jenny Sanders
:grouphug: Renee's other son AJ was missing as he was busy chatting about dinosaurs with Mr. pepperandchips:

And somewhere in there were my Steve , Su-Lynn's Steve and Renee's DH Chad! It was a big ol' noisy group and we drank and ate for awhile. I was really wanting to try something I'd heard raves about so I got a pre-dinner dessert:

Churros
Vanilla Crema, Chili-Strawberry

I know that's a great picture but I assure you these are delicious and blow away the park churros. They were fresh, hot, soft and sweet and both sauces were great. The vanilla was no overly sweet and the strawberry chili had a kick to it that wasn't overpowering.
I don't know why I don't have pictures of our drinks but I know I had a couple of these:

Hightower Rocks
Casa Dragones Blanco Tequila, Watermelon, Sweet-and-Sour, and Lime Juice

Courtesy of Disney Food Blog! I don't remember what anyone else had except Melinda had some type of bourbon with soda and an orange?? And I think Steve had bourbon also and then Jenny go the bread service and we had sliders at the table too. We were having lots of fun but a few people were thinking ahead to dinner and asked if I'd see what was open so I jumped on the app and booked 7 of us dinner for 8:00 at a new to Steve and I restaurant!

The cool thing was that it was also new to @Jenny Sanders and I want to say @Mollydolly334 ? Melinda and her DH were with us also but it wasn't their first go-round. To start I went with a Reisling and pretty much everyone else stuck with the color scheme:

By this point we were all pretty hungry despite our pre-dinner snacks at Nomad and I was happy when they brought out bread:

I cannot remember what kind of bread this was but OMG was it good! Seriously it rivals the kalamata olive bread at Citricos that I dream about :love:

Most of us started with apps and both Molly and I got the

Wisconsin Burrata
Pear, Marcona Almonds, Blueberry-White Balsamic Vinaigrette

First of all it was pretty much required that Molly get this being from Wisconsin; I think it's against the law if someone from there and there's an item on a menu with Wisconsin CHEESE and they don't get it, right?
So to stay out of jail she got it and I'm glad I did too because this was some of the smoothest and creamiest burrata I've ever had. Wisconsin I salute you and your cheesy knowledge! Loved the salad with almonds under it too.

Steve got a shrimp appetizer - are you surprised? But you'll have to wait until the next update to see it because I'm at my picture limit here. So control your drooling until then!

Nomad Lounge was awesome but Flying Fish was pure Heaven! The food, service and company were top notch!!!!
I miss you all so much❤️

My DIL is so excited since it's her first trip too and that makes me so happy!!!
I love this! Can't wait for you all to have an incredible time!
I need to share this because I'm not sure *** with my face:

I'm sorry but :rotfl2:
Hightower Rocks

So I am getting this next time for sure.
I don't remember what anyone else had
I had a sangria...maybe Serengeti Sangria (or did I just make that up...lol). It wasn't nearly as good as the other sangria I've had here (the one in July was good) and other places at Disney though. Boo.

Looks like a fun trip!! One of these times maybe we will overlap LOL!
homes away from home at our "home", Nomad Lounge!
Ours too. In fact we got a Tables In Wonderland card this year as we tend to hang in the lounges much more than actual restaurants. Think we made our money back already just in the 8 days in January :rotfl2: . Snow Leopard is my drink at Nomads.

Maybe we will be able to finally see F.Arts (love this) next year-Disney Alumni Homecoming weekend is Jan 22-24 next year.

Great photos so far...I have had that Wisconsin Burrata at Flying Fish and concur it is delicious. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your food. This is our one and only restaurant must do for next month. Frank had a drink there back in October that he insists was still one of the BEST mixed drinks ever...he can't wait to order it again. I'll have to find out what it was though.

Hm maybe since we have to miss out on Tiffins this next trip we can swing into Nomad Lounge instead as we've never been there either and those churros look great...my family would love them...I'm not a big fan unless there is chocolate for dipping.

You plans for your Fall trip also sound so fun! You are going to have such a great time.

I know we are NOT doing CRT; probably Akershus and I'm seriously considering Bon Voyage since I want the food but don't want to do the characters just Steve and I and the boys flat out refuse.
Jimmy's favorite restaurant continues to be CRT, LOL. I selfishly hope he never outgrows his love of his favorite girl, 'ella!!

We really love Akershus as a substitute though, especially when I'm trying to pinch dining credits. We had a spectacular server there in December, and we enjoyed our breakfast. Never tried lunch or dinner there because I'm afraid of being adventurous with Norweigian food! But the princess interaction is really great, especially when they invite the kids to do the Princess Promenade through the restaurant. (Yes, my 10 year old son did participate and bowl over a child or two to be close to Cinderella)!

We loved our breakfast at Bon Voyage--the food was delish, as was my peach bellini. You really can't go wrong at any of them, but for the most princess bang for your buck, I'd do Akershus!

I'm seriously considering Bon Voyage since I want the food but don't want to do the characters just Steve and I and the boys flat out refuse.

I say do it! The food is great for it being a character meal and they're always very fun there!

Hightower Rocks

Oo I want this!

Wisconsin Burrata
Pear, Marcona Almonds, Blueberry-White Balsamic Vinaigrette

I wasn't previously aware that Wisconsin had their own burrata but now I must try it.

So glad I found your dining review! Sometimes I forget to switch TR boards. I'm a longtime lurker, intermittent poster, but I couldn't pass up commenting on your earlier post...

Steve's looks like water, tasted like vodka! Huckleberry vodka to be exact. Steve asked what kind of flavored vodka they had and the answer was this. They use it in some of their signature drinks like the Huckleberry Punch AND Geyser Point is the only place on property that you can get it. Steve really enjoyed it even though it was a bit on the sweet side with a tropically-berry taste.

So I know Steve is limiting his mule intake, but we can buy huckleberry vodka at our local liquor store. It makes a fantastic mule! Just in case he needs an idea for the next trip... 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter