Has the DIS UNPLUGGED podcast gone sour?

While I understand that, their popularity has literally grown 100-fold with their current format and cast. They are more popular now than ever. But I would be sad if I had a favorite that left the team. The fact remains that The DIS is and always has been a great team filled with panelists that everyone relates to, and losing any of them is sad news. One day, the format and guests will outgrow what I'm searching for. Life changes for all of us. Singledom, married life, kids, middle age, retirement, elderly, then death. It happens, and we all move on to the services and entertainment that fit our particular stage in life. What we found interesting as a young single adult usually has very little interest to us we age. The same happens with books, movies, television, sports, food and every other form of entertainment. <shrug>

But one could argue that the popularity grew mostly because of the ease of access, and how more people are comfortable with a podcast.

And yeah, a more diverse voice would be beneficial.

Gosh. The op is wondering if anyone else feels the same and people have to jump all over it. It’s not exactly a back and forth when someone just bristles at any criticism of the podcasters and says “no,you’re wrong”

Totally agree with this. A forum should be able to host discussions about why you may like something AND why you may not. That honestly isn’t possible here regarding the podcast. If you dare to voice a shred of disappointment in something you’ll inevitably get pounded on by the listeners who worship the ground they walk on. I’ve noticed thus on several threads in the past.

Again, I’ve been a huge fan of the podcast for years, but I’m not a drinker of the Kool Aid for anything whether it be this or Disney. There are always positives and negatives.

Agree @mjaclyn but I will say I think the pushback comes from other posters and not the moderator @*NikkiBell* who over and over makes it clear she isn't going to edit, delete or stop people from giving feedback (positive or negative.)
I think she is pretty great. In fact, of all the moderators I do not think this forum could have a better one.

Totally agree with this. A forum should be able to host discussions about why you may like something AND why you may not. That honestly isn’t possible here regarding the podcast. If you dare to voice a shred of disappointment in something you’ll inevitably get pounded on by the listeners who worship the ground they walk on. I’ve noticed thus on several threads in the past.

Again, I’ve been a huge fan of the podcast for years, but I’m not a drinker of the Kool Aid for anything whether it be this or Disney. There are always positives and negatives.

I’m sorry to hear you feel negative comments can’t be shared here because I work pretty hard at making sure that they can regardless of whether or not some posters give me grief over it.

I encourage everyone to share their honest thoughts on this forum. As long as you follow posting guidelines, they’re welcome. In fact, I’ve expressed my criticism of the show here as well.

Agree @mjaclyn but I will say I think the pushback comes from other posters and not the moderator @*NikkiBell* who over and over makes it clear she isn't going to edit, delete or stop people from giving feedback (positive or negative.)
I think she is pretty great. In fact, of all the moderators I do not think this forum could have a better one.

Thanks.

(Your check is in the mail. LOL JK)

I really do enjoy listing to the pod casts -it is part of my morning routine to listen to it when getting ready for work. But i do sometimes get the sense that because the members of DIS are in the parks frequently or they get to experience the festivals year after year - they lose sight of what is enjoyable about the festivals or special events. Hearing DIS members mentioning how Food and Wine or Flower and Garden is just the same ole thing -- doesn't excite me-- because if this is my first visit it will be new and exciting for me. Why would i care if they served the same foods last year if this will be the first time i get to experience it. I do listen/watch a variety of pod casts/vlogs and i feel that some of these other people can present the constructive criticism with a little nicer spin and avoid sounding like they are just a burnt out frequent disney visitor.

Hearing DIS members mentioning how Food and Wine or Flower and Garden is just the same ole thing -- doesn't excite me-- because if this is my first visit it will be new and exciting for me. Why would i care if they served the same foods last year if this will be the first time i get to experience it.
I certainly see your point here, but what else can they do? Unless every year and every festival they find someone who is a newbie to report on it, that's what you're going to get. And if Disney is just dragging out the same old stuff year after year after year, I think that's worth talking about. They always include info on what's new and different as well, so it isn't like they just focus on what's the same.

I think you're absolutely right, though, that the overall perspective of people who live in Orlando and visit the parks regularly is considerably different than folks who only go once a year or less. For those folks, something being pretty much the same as the last time they saw it isn't really a big deal. In fact, a lot of people look forward to that and appreciate the consistency. It doesn't come off as being stale or tired when you only experience it rarely.

I certainly see your point here, but what else can they do? Unless every year and every festival they find someone who is a newbie to report on it, that's what you're going to get. And if Disney is just dragging out the same old stuff year after year after year, I think that's worth talking about. They always include info on what's new and different as well, so it isn't like they just focus on what's the same.

I think you're absolutely right, though, that the overall perspective of people who live in Orlando and visit the parks regularly is considerably different than folks who only go once a year or less. For those folks, something being pretty much the same as the last time they saw it isn't really a big deal. In fact, a lot of people look forward to that and appreciate the consistency. It doesn't come off as being stale or tired when you only experience it rarely.

But here’s the thing, Disney isn’t just dragging out the same stuff every year. For example, I go to Flower & Garden each spring and am always impressed with how they enhance it. Are there some similarities? I guess so, but I’ve never had the feeling that it was boring or unworthy of my time because of it. I feel that way about other special events too.

I think kniquy does raise a good point. Many Floridians are blessed with being able to visit the parks quite often. That can remove a certain level of excitement for some of them. If one is talking about an experience, whether on a podcast or in casual conversation, people pick up on that.

I spend 3-4 weeks each year at WDW. Are there things that I don’t do every trip? Of course. However, that doesn’t mean I see little value in them and would dissuade others from experiencing them (either intentionally or unintentionally based on my tone, etc.). When locals are on a podcast, I imagine that it can be challenging at times to get excited about another hard ticket event or festival. Still though, I think that challenge should be kept in mind when discussing them for an audience that very well be made up of first timers or those who cannot visit very often.

This will be my first Flower and Garden experience in a couple weeks. I do follow what is at the festival every year of course. It doesn't seem much of the actual flower and garden related stuff changed this year. I wish Disney would change/mix up the topiaries a bit more than they do but I am excited to see them in person. The focus has also seemed to go more on the food especially this year with there being no festival center and no seminars. I am still excited to check it out though!

I’m sorry to hear you feel negative comments can’t be shared here because I work pretty hard at making sure that they can regardless of whether or not some posters give me grief over it.

I encourage everyone to share their honest thoughts on this forum. As long as you follow posting guidelines, they’re welcome. In fact, I’ve expressed my criticism of the show here as well.

Thanks.

(Your check is in the mail. LOL JK)

Sorry Nikki! This wasn’t aimed at you. I’ve just had the experience in the past when I’ve voiced an unpopular opinion about the show there were innumerable comments trashing me and telling me just “don’t listen”. I don’t want to stop listening! LOL If it were me I would want to know (respectfully of course) what my listeners like and don’t like. You’d think it would make for a better show.

My experience happened years ago so you may not have been the moderator at the time.

Sorry Nikki! This wasn’t aimed at you. I’ve just had the experience in the past when I’ve voiced an unpopular opinion about the show there were innumerable comments trashing me and telling me just “don’t listen”. I don’t want to stop listening! LOL If it were me I would want to know (respectfully of course) what my listeners like and don’t like. You’d think it would make for a better show.

My experience happened years ago so you may not have been the moderator at the time.

Don’t let the uber fans affect what you post; I have seen the type of situation you are referring to many times. I think some posters become a little too invested and feel inclined to defend or jump on any naysayers. However, in order for progress to happen, comments from both sides are necessary. That is with anything - podcast or elsewhere.

This will be my first Flower and Garden experience in a couple weeks. I do follow what is at the festival every year of course. It doesn't seem much of the actual flower and garden related stuff changed this year. I wish Disney would change/mix up the topiaries a bit more than they do but I am excited to see them in person. The focus has also seemed to go more on the food especially this year with there being no festival center and no seminars. I am still excited to check it out though!
Epcot is always at its most beautiful during Flower and Garden, that's for SURE! It always makes my heart soar to see the "quilt" and floating plants in that section. Never been that time of year, and not so sure I could take the temps,. especially if it's at all humid. But I def enjoy hearing others enjoy it, and seeing all the vlogs/pics.

Are you implying that RunDisney events aren't pleasurable? You get to wake up at 3am, sometimes in freezing cold weather, and go get sweaty and exhausted with a few thousand of your closest friends. :teeth:
I ROLL a LOT more, and a LOT faster than I will EVER run! :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter