Helicopter tours at Grand Canyon?

The Chernabog

Earning My Ears
Hello Adventurers,

We’re looking forward to our Arizona and Utah Adventure starting on July 4th this summer.

I had a question about on your own time at the Grand Canyon. Does anyone know if there are helicopter tours available at that location. Would love to take a chopper tour into the canyon.

Thanks!

Not sure what exact location you are referring to. There are helicopter and airplane tours out of Grand Canyon airport located about 9 miles south of the Grand Canyon Village. There are also tours out of Las Vegas and Flagstaff.

July 4th week will most likely be very busy and could be difficult to book. Keep in mind that tours cannot fly below the rim level inside the national park boundaries. For some that limitation may not meet their expectations.

We were there in December & didn't see a see any planes or helicopters. We assumed they weren't allowed to fly over.

We were there in December & didn't see a see any planes or helicopters. We assumed they weren't allowed to fly over.

There are strict flight rules as to altitudes and areas allowed in order to maintain quiet for those visiting the canyon.

As the others have stated, no helicopter tours will take you "into the canyon". At least not in the National Park where you will be with ABD. It's just not allowed. When I was there ten years ago, there were helicopter tours out of the small airport in Tusayan (a town outside the park) but we flew over the canyon, not into it. As far as I know, there's nothing actually at the Canyon, Tusayan would be the closest.

Sayhello

Yep, back this week. NO heli-tours AT the Canyon. Also, own your own time is more limited than one would think. Especially with pace of this trip (very busy) you may appreciate a little down time.

Helicopters seen in the Grand Canyon NP were likely medical evac helicopters. At one time, air recuses were almost daily.

In the last few years, Forest Rangers in the Canyon have taken additional training and have a full medical kit available. Rangers can even start an IV as required. The goal is to get injured person to walk/ride out as much as possible. This has greatly reduced the need for Evac helicopters.

-Paul

I wanted to revisit this question leading up to my trip this March. If helicopter tours don't make sense over the Grand Canyon, has anyone tried them in Sedona? Is there enough OYO time in those places to book something like that? Also, is there anything else I need to be thinking about advanced reservations for? I'm a little over a month out from the trip.

I wanted to revisit this question leading up to my trip this March. If helicopter tours don't make sense over the Grand Canyon, has anyone tried them in Sedona? Is there enough OYO time in those places to book something like that? Also, is there anything else I need to be thinking about advanced reservations for? I'm a little over a month out from the trip.
It looks like you still do have most of the afternoon and evening of Day 2 OYO in Sedona. I have no idea if they do helicopter tours out of Sedona, but it's a gorgeous area, and if they *do* run them, it could be a lot of fun.

It looks like the Enchantment Resort is not on the "main drag" in Sedona like the Amara Resort was, but I'm assuming you'll have some way to get to the main drag. Or if you set up a tour ahead of time, they *might* come get you.

ETA: A quick google provided Guidance Air, which got some really good reviews. They leave from the Sedona airport.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Enchantment Resort is definitely not on the main drag. It took a good 20 mins to get out there when we took an Uber back. We did have quite a bit of OYO time in Sedona.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!