Hello from Michigan! :)

reluctantredhead

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! :)

I never noticed that the "welcome" board was here before, so I apologize if I've committed a faux pas by posting elsewhere first!

I'm a longtime lurker...I think I first discovered this board 10-12 years ago, and I had a different user ID then. I'm pretty shy by nature, so I only posted a few times though. My computer crashed a couple of years ago so I got a new one, and my password and ID were saved in the old one. I couldn't remember them when I tried to go on the site recently with my new computer, so I just created a new ID...I hope that's ok!

So...we've recently moved from Orange County, CA (where we were longtime AP holders) to a small town in Michigan, and we're having MAJOR Disney withdrawals! What precipitated my coming back to the Disboards is that H and I are taking a trip to WDW for his birthday in April, and we're contemplating a trip the week before Christmas as well. We went to WDW for our honeymoon 24 years ago, and have been back once or twice a year almost every year since then. One of the years we made multiple trips we bought APs, and we're looking to do that again, since we'll probably be going back in December and my H will be attending a conference in Orlando in June, which we might make a WDW trip out of as well.

Anyway, thanks to the Disboards for being so welcoming and for providing such incredible information over the years! I hope I can come out of my shell a little more and be a more regular poster, because I've realized that I actually have some info to share too. Sometimes I get intimidated because I don't like near WDW or make dozens of trips a year like many on this board are able to do...but I'll try to chime in when I think I can add something of value! :)

Welcome! Or maybe I should say welcome back! Don't be shy, I haven't been here very long myself and I only get to Disney once a year. I'll be there in June as well!

Another fellow Michigander here as well (we, too, are "new" to the state, having moved here just a year ago from Canada).

Welcome (back) to the boards!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

Nice to see so many Michiganders on here! So far, other than being so far from Disney, we really like it here! The weather is certainly a big change, but we were getting tired of the two So Cal seasons of "hot" and "unbearably hot" anyway, lol!

Hi everyone! :)

I never noticed that the "welcome" board was here before, so I apologize if I've committed a faux pas by posting elsewhere first!

I'm a longtime lurker...I think I first discovered this board 10-12 years ago, and I had a different user ID then. I'm pretty shy by nature, so I only posted a few times though. My computer crashed a couple of years ago so I got a new one, and my password and ID were saved in the old one. I couldn't remember them when I tried to go on the site recently with my new computer, so I just created a new ID...I hope that's ok!

So...we've recently moved from Orange County, CA (where we were longtime AP holders) to a small town in Michigan, and we're having MAJOR Disney withdrawals! What precipitated my coming back to the Disboards is that H and I are taking a trip to WDW for his birthday in April, and we're contemplating a trip the week before Christmas as well. We went to WDW for our honeymoon 24 years ago, and have been back once or twice a year almost every year since then. One of the years we made multiple trips we bought APs, and we're looking to do that again, since we'll probably be going back in December and my H will be attending a conference in Orlando in June, which we might make a WDW trip out of as well.

Anyway, thanks to the Disboards for being so welcoming and for providing such incredible information over the years! I hope I can come out of my shell a little more and be a more regular poster, because I've realized that I actually have some info to share too. Sometimes I get intimidated because I don't like near WDW or make dozens of trips a year like many on this board are able to do...but I'll try to chime in when I think I can add something of value! :)
Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

Nice to see so many Michiganders on here! So far, other than being so far from Disney, we really like it here! The weather is certainly a big change, but we were getting tired of the two So Cal seasons of "hot" and "unbearably hot" anyway, lol!
Are you above or below the bridge.

I assume you mean the Mackinaw Bridge, right?

Below, but barely...I'm pretty sure our area is referred to as the "Upper Lower Peninsula." We're on the pinkie finger part of the Mitten. :)
That’s a beautiful area. I’m in Marquette.

Marquette is in the Upper Peninsula, right? And that's what "Yooper" means, yes? We're still learning the lingo. :)

We live in Traverse City...and yes, it is absolutely gorgeous! We hope to make it to the UP soon...we've heard it's amazing!

Oh...and one more thing. H and I have now lived in 9 different states (and both Northern and Southern California, the deep South, the pacific Northwest, the East Coast, and other areas of the midwest), and we have NEVER met nicer, friendlier, or more helpful people than the ones we've met since we moved to Michigan. And we've met a lot of nice people over our many travels together! But seriously...the people here are just amazing! :)

Marquette is in the Upper Peninsula, right? And that's what "Yooper" means, yes? We're still learning the lingo. :)

We live in Traverse City...and yes, it is absolutely gorgeous! We hope to make it to the UP soon...we've heard it's amazing!
Welcome (back)! We are also in the west side of the mitten...Grand Rapids area, to be exact. DH was born and raised in Traverse City so we've been back there many times. We own some hunting property in the Kingsley area so we are up there every fall...soooo beautiful.

Yes, right on Lake Superior. You would be a troll (under the bridge, get it).Airfare to Orlando is crazy from up here.

Yes, right on Lake Superior. You would be a troll (under the bridge, get it).Airfare to Orlando is crazy from up here.
Haha, that's right...I remember reading about the "troll" thing...I love it!

Airfare from TC to ANYWHERE is insane!!! From a tip on another discussion board I frequent, though, we found incredible airfares (under $300 pp/RT) from GRR to Orlando...nonstop even! Unfortunately we had to postpone our trip due to a surgery I now have to have, but we still got a decent rate (I think about $450 out of TC, which is decent for TC, lol) for April.

Probably a dumb question, but where do you guys in the UP fly out of?

Haha, that's right...I remember reading about the "troll" thing...I love it!

Airfare from TC to ANYWHERE is insane!!! From a tip on another discussion board I frequent, though, we found incredible airfares (under $300 pp/RT) from GRR to Orlando...nonstop even! Unfortunately we had to postpone our trip due to a surgery I now have to have, but we still got a decent rate (I think about $450 out of TC, which is decent for TC, lol) for April.

Probably a dumb question, but where do you guys in the UP fly out of?
We have Marquette International Airport. Sounds grand, but it’s a small airport, only morning and evening flights. It makes it tough to make connections, especially in winter. There is also an airport in Escanaba, iron Mountain and Houghton. Marquette’s is about a 20 min. Ride from town, Esky 1 hr and Iron Mountain 1.5 hrs drive. Green Bay, WI is 4 hrs away but prices are better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter