Help decide on DDP with opp or DXDP

momabbate

DIS Veteran
I am trying to plan meals to decided what will be better for our Oct trip. It will be with DH and Me, plus DD, her DH and DGS, He will be turning 6 during trip. Two separate reservation. Two separate plans. Don't think we will share credits, understand that we can. I always thought of us as foodies. Honestly I am a very adventurous eater. DH not so much. I am having trouble finding him Apps to eat. Any ideas? Can you split a flatbread pizza for app?

Personally, I think the DDP vs DxDP comes down to using the QS credit or not using them. We have visited WDW with DDP (twice) OOP (twice) and DXDP (5 times). I tend to prefer DxDP because we will sit down for a TS, but we don't use that many QS.

If you think you'll use the QS credits, then DDP is a good choice. If you fall in between, you may want to look at going completely OOP. If you want to spend the time doing more TS and barely any QS, then DxDP is a great choice. I think it's worthwhile to jot down where you think you'll be eating.i

Personally, I think the DDP vs DxDP comes down to using the QS credit or not using them. We have visited WDW with DDP (twice) OOP (twice) and DXDP (5 times). I tend to prefer DxDP because we will sit down for a TS, but we don't use that many QS.

If you think you'll use the QS credits, then DDP is a good choice. If you fall in between, you may want to look at going completely OOP. If you want to spend the time doing more TS and barely any QS, then DxDP is a great choice. I think it's worthwhile to jot down where you think you'll be eating.i

I agree, if doing QS DXDP is not a good choice. Main concern is finding apps for DH. We normal skip breakfast. This trip it will be main meal with DGS. Most will be character breakfast. DH and myself would like lunch and dinner at TS due to making me take it easy this trip. (have had hip replaced and it is starting to hurt this winter)

If you prefer TS experiences, the DxDDP is probably the way to go. Even if you don't use every single piece of every single meal, there's still value in the plan and it means you never have to "settle" for quick service. The basic DDP doesn't sound like a great fit since you want to take it easy and be waited on at meals.

As far as apps for your husband, it really depends on the restaurant but most have something that isn't too adventurous - soup or salad or flatbread or shrimp cocktail. And of course, you could always throw some more "American" restaurants into the mix, places like 50s Prime Time and Sci-Fi and The Plaza where the menu would be familiar and acceptable even to picky eaters. Which restaurants are you considering that you're having a hard time finding app options for your husband?

If you prefer TS experiences, the DxDDP is probably the way to go. Even if you don't use every single piece of every single meal, there's still value in the plan and it means you never have to "settle" for quick service. The basic DDP doesn't sound like a great fit since you want to take it easy and be waited on at meals.

As far as apps for your husband, it really depends on the restaurant but most have something that isn't too adventurous - soup or salad or flatbread or shrimp cocktail. And of course, you could always throw some more "American" restaurants into the mix, places like 50s Prime Time and Sci-Fi and The Plaza where the menu would be familiar and acceptable even to picky eaters. Which restaurants are you considering that you're having a hard time finding app options for your husband?

Thank you, so most places allow flatbread for app.

Unless you are doing a lot of character meals, signature dining, or tend to order the more expensive items, it is difficult for two adults to save money on the deluxe plan. If you think you will tend to split apps and deserts, or maybe not want them at all, you might be better not using a plan. It sounds like you plan to eat 3 TS meals a day in order to take is easy, but that being the case, you may not want 3 full meals with apps, entree, and dessert.

We have done the deluxe plan and are doing it again next trip for half of a split stay, but we tend to schedule only 2 meals a day with one being a signature. We also do share credits with others for a day or two of the trip which helps get even more value.

I would plan out your restaurants, and then price out your wish list of food, and see if the DxDP makes sense. We did the DxDP for a week long trip once, and even just eating twice a day (1TS breakfast or lunch and signature dinner), it was way too much food for us both, and we ended up wasting a lot, I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if we tried 3 1TS meals each day with all that food. We are now much happier to pay OOP, we still eat exactly what we want, but we only eat what we want, and if we simply aren't too hungry at a particular meal, we will order accordingly. We are doing the DxDP for one night of our upcoming split stay, but we are spreading the credits out over two days, and even then, I think we might not want all of the food included.

When it’s just my husband and me we always eat our evening meal at TS each day and sometimes breakfast he also has medical issues and likes the down time for meals. We’ve done the compare and always find it cheaper to pay OOP. Don’t forget you will be there during the F&W in Epcot which is a foodies dream trip. Since your husband isn’t a fan of apps maybe OOP is the way to go.

Yes, if they serve them.

Thanks, that really is the answer I was hoping for.

Unless you are doing a lot of character meals, signature dining, or tend to order the more expensive items, it is difficult for two adults to save money on the deluxe plan. If you think you will tend to split apps and deserts, or maybe not want them at all, you might be better not using a plan. It sounds like you plan to eat 3 TS meals a day in order to take is easy, but that being the case, you may not want 3 full meals with apps, entree, and dessert.

We will have 4 character meals, 3 of them being breakfast. We hardly ever split food, taste yes but not split.

We have done the deluxe plan and are doing it again next trip for half of a split stay, but we tend to schedule only 2 meals a day with one being a signature. We also do share credits with others for a day or two of the trip which helps get even more value.

I don't think 2 meals is enough for us. We might split some with daughter and her family. Plus pick up some food for the drive home.

I would plan out your restaurants, and then price out your wish list of food, and see if the DxDP makes sense. We did the DxDP for a week long trip once, and even just eating twice a day (1TS breakfast or lunch and signature dinner), it was way too much food for us both, and we ended up wasting a lot, I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if we tried 3 1TS meals each day with all that food. We are now much happier to pay OOP, we still eat exactly what we want, but we only eat what we want, and if we simply aren't too hungry at a particular meal, we will order accordingly. We are doing the DxDP for one night of our upcoming split stay, but we are spreading the credits out over two days, and even then, I think we might not want all of the food included.

That is what I been doing. I came out 300 ahead doing DXDP then out of pocket. Thread was more to ask what hubby might be able to get. We are big eaters at home so 3 full meals is not that big of a change.

When it’s just my husband and me we always eat our evening meal at TS each day and sometimes breakfast he also has medical issues and likes the down time for meals. We’ve done the compare and always find it cheaper to pay OOP. Don’t forget you will be there during the F&W in Epcot which is a foodies dream trip. Since your husband isn’t a fan of apps maybe OOP is the way to go.

When I tried one run threw we came up $300 ahead. I was mostly seeing what other choices he might have.

Thank you all for taking the time to post. If I run into more questions I will make sure to ask here. Great advice from others who have done DXDP.

Sounds like the DxDP would be a great option for you guys then!! When we were on the DxDP pretty much anything that wasn't a dessert or entree was included as an appetizer. There are a lot of delicious flatbreads, especially at the signature restaurants, so hopefully he can find something that he will enjoy. Have a great trip!!!

Sounds like the DxDP would be a great option for you guys then!! When we were on the DxDP pretty much anything that wasn't a dessert or entree was included as an appetizer. There are a lot of delicious flatbreads, especially at the signature restaurants, so hopefully he can find something that he will enjoy. Have a great trip!!!

That was what i was hoping. I'm not looking for getting something for nothing, but if I am going to pay for DXDP I want to be able to order what we want.

Just throwing this out there as one possible option for your group.

If booking the Deluxe plan for all 5 in your group seems like it would be too much food (and possibly a waste of money) you could choose the Deluxe plan for only one of the rooms and pay OOP for the other.

Your DGS(6) will cost considerably less than an adult and will be able to order adult entrees if on the Deluxe plan. If DGS prefers inexpensive kids’ entrees such as chicken nuggets, pay OOP for those and use his credits toward one of the adults’ meals.

Deluxe Dining for three guests will entitle you to 9 TS credits per day. You could use these credits to pay for 2 meals per adult/per day. Save the 1 remaining credit (the 9th) from each day to pay for another meal every 4th day.

Just throwing this out there as one possible option for your group.

If booking the Deluxe plan for all 5 in your group seems like it would be too much food (and possibly a waste of money) you could choose the Deluxe plan for only one of the rooms and pay OOP for the other.

Your DGS(6) will cost considerably less than an adult and will be able to order adult entrees if on the Deluxe plan. If DGS prefers inexpensive kids’ entrees such as chicken nuggets, pay OOP for those and use his credits toward one of the adults’ meals.

Deluxe Dining for three guests will entitle you to 9 TS credits per day. You could use these credits to pay for 2 meals per adult/per day. Save the 1 remaining credit (the 9th) from each day to pay for another meal every 4th day.

Thank you,
Sorry I should not have included my DD family. We will be at WDW at same time. Will only be eating 4 meals with them. They are doing DDP, only ones on DXDP will be DH and myself. I do not see this as being to much food for us. I was just asking to make sure if we wanted a pizza or flatbread for app we could.

I am making the same decision currently. The last 3 years we have done DxDP (myself and under 10yo son). We got a lot of value out of it because my son would almost always order off of the adult menu. Plus, you get a lot of value with under 10 yo kids if you do a lot of character dining as well (that would apply to either plan). This year, he is 10 and a Disney adult, so I am seriously considering going with the regular DDP + OOP. We will still eat the same (we are 3 meals a day type people with 2 -3 of those being TS). We have not done many QS in the past, so there is an opportunity to try some if we stay on the regular DDP. I also like the thought of being able to order off of the plan for things like sharing a pizza at Via Napoli or having an appetizer as my entree at a few places. So my plan with regular DDP + OOP is to use my TS credits on the higher priced meals (mostly character meal buffets) and pay OOP at locations where I can see us ordering not as we would on the dining plan (i.e. not getting appetizer/entree/dessert for both of us).

It's a tough call though because when I compare the pricing, it actually looks like I would save just under $100 by upgrading to the DxDP, but I kinda want to take the opportunity to try some OOP stuff to see if I actually will order that differently than I would on the plan.

I am making the same decision currently. The last 3 years we have done DxDP (myself and under 10yo son). We got a lot of value out of it because my son would almost always order off of the adult menu. Plus, you get a lot of value with under 10 yo kids if you do a lot of character dining as well (that would apply to either plan). This year, he is 10 and a Disney adult, so I am seriously considering going with the regular DDP + OOP. We will still eat the same (we are 3 meals a day type people with 2 -3 of those being TS). We have not done many QS in the past, so there is an opportunity to try some if we stay on the regular DDP. I also like the thought of being able to order off of the plan for things like sharing a pizza at Via Napoli or having an appetizer as my entree at a few places. So my plan with regular DDP + OOP is to use my TS credits on the higher priced meals (mostly character meal buffets) and pay OOP at locations where I can see us ordering not as we would on the dining plan (i.e. not getting appetizer/entree/dessert for both of us).

It's a tough call though because when I compare the pricing, it actually looks like I would save just under $100 by upgrading to the DxDP, but I kinda want to take the opportunity to try some OOP stuff to see if I actually will order that differently than I would on the plan.

See all our trips we have done DDP. We had to cancel our last trip that was going to be DXDP. Our other trips we end up not ordering something due to it not being on plan. DH doesn't understand paying extra if we have a plan. I'm sure we will end up withDXDP.

Based on how you like to eat seems like the deluxe will work well for you and your DH. We did DXDP last trip, pretty much broke even though a few credits were left back due to an unexpected illness. Enjoyed it enough that I'm "scheming" how to do it again for our July trip when more people are coming, LOL.
We spend the vast majority of table credits at signature dinners eaten nightly and the rest on favored TS restaurants like VN for early lunches which nicely offset the snack credit breakfasts we tend to have.

I was thinking doing more signature, now only looking at one. I still think this is what we are doing. I have 29 days before ADR day. Took half day today to work on the plan.

I was thinking doing more signature, now only looking at one. I still think this is what we are doing. I have 29 days before ADR day. Took half day today to work on the plan.

You still have time to mull over it so that a good thing:).
Can you tell us what eateries you are considering? That and what dishes you think interest you can better tell you if you should expend the extra money for deluxe or regular dining plan. If your husband doesn't like most of the appetizers offered and you are planning on only one signature I don't think you'll get true value w/ the deluxe plan.

You still have time to mull over it so that a good thing:).
Can you tell us what eateries you are considering? That and what dishes you think interest you can better tell you if you should expend the extra money for deluxe or regular dining plan. If your husband doesn't like most of the appetizers offered and you are planning on only one signature I don't think you'll get true value w/ the deluxe plan.

Sorry it took so long to get back. I went back and added more signatures.

this round I got

Arrival day:
Chef Mickey 95.06

MK Morning: Crystal Palace Breakfast 49.98
California Grill 161

AK Morning: Tusker House 59.98
Yak and Yeti 104.18
Sanna 100

Ep Morning: Akershus 86.92
Yachtsman 144

DH Morning: 1900 Park Fare: 58
Mama Melrose's: 90.5
Ohana: 76.40

Sad day: T-Rex 90.97

total:1,116.99
difference: (43.01)

Didn't include drinks with all meals, didn't include snacks or refillable mug or tax. I think if I add all that I could come ahead. There are places I would like to add but didn't. Am going to try doing less Signature and see what I get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter