HELP! First time in Japan plus Disney during Golden Week!

boris

Earning My Ears
Hey,

so I recently booked a flight to Haneda Airport to visit Tokyo Disney, my most wanted park trip ever.
I will be staying either at Ambassador Hotel or the Hilton.

I know I picked one of the busiest times, but I have strong reasons for that:

First I wanted to make sure, that all the headliner attractions are open, that is one of the biggest points!
Another reason is my job schedule.

The holidays are on April, 29th (Sunday) and May, 3rd until 5th (Thursday-Saturday).

I plan to visit DisneySea on April, 30th and May, 3rd, Disneyland on May, 1st and 2nd, 2018.
The crowd calendar shows that 3 of those days have normal crowds (yellow coloured means 30.000 people) and it predicts a crowded day on May, 2nd (red means 50.000 people).
I am prepared for long wait times for rides (2-3 hours), food or restrooms. I will be at the entrance at least one hour before opening.

So has anybody experienced the parks during that time frame?
Would love to hear some thoughts.
Is it really that heavy in terms of crowds?
I assume I can wait to buy park tickets until check-in as the two mentioned hotel options would guarantee admission, right?

Last edited:
Is that Golden Week? Honestly, I would expect the crowds to be higher than yellow, but maybe not. I'm sorry I don't have any firsthand experience with those crowds, but I'll state the obvious: You'll want to go in with a strong touring plan, arrive wellllll before rope drop, and I'd bring in my own food and drink so as to not waste park time on that.

Hopefully someone else will come along with better, more specific advice for you.

I have experienced heavy crowds at Tokyo Disneyland.

You just need to be prepared. tdrexplorer.com is a great starting point for planning your days in the parks.

You need to effectively use Fast Passes. You should try to eat outside of "peak" eating times (and probably avoid the quick service stands entirely as the lines will be too long). For lunch, you should look to eat at 11am at the latest. For dinner, you should try to eat at 5pm or after 7:30pm. I don't think you'll have an issue with the bathrooms. You should definitely be at the parks early (at LEAST an hour before scheduled opening).

To my understanding Hilton Tokyo Bay does provide guaranteed admission, but you may want to double check. I normally buy online and exchange the printed A4 tickets for regular tickets on my first day.

Otherwise, you will need to prioritise what you want to see and do in each park. There are some "obvious" plans of attack for each park - Disneyland: Fast Pass for Monsters Inc and then standby for Pooh's Hunny Hunt; DisneySea: Fast Pass for Toy Story Mania and then standby for Finding Nemo (or vice versa). But, whether they're suitable for you is questionable (e.g. many Americans skip Toy Story Mania because they have their own local versions).

The good thing about Tokyo is that even though the parks can get extremely crowded, everyone is ridiculously polite and respectful. So, you can be in the middle of a crowd, but there is minimal (if any) pushing, jostling, shoving, etc. It makes the experience much more tolerable.

I find the crowds at Disneyland LA (and Shanghai Disneyland) to be worse because they're unorganised chaos. The crowds in Japan are orderly.

I only visited TDR the exact day after Golden Week, when the crowds where SUPER LOW, and the rides were all no more than a 10 min wait. I will say that the night before, when we got to the resort, the trains, and stores were inundated with tons of people. This was a Wednesday night I believe.

My advise is for you to stay at the Embassador Hotel so you can take advantage of the Happy 15 head start on property hotel guest get. Those 15 minutes can be the difference between a great experience (more available fast passes), and long lines.

Here is the Crowd Calendar I've used:
http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

According to that calendar, the heavy crowds don't kick in until the 3rd.
Apr 30: 38,000
May 1: 35,000
May 2: 35,000
May 3: 56,000

My first instinct is to say that Disney Sea should be your priority since it is unique in the world, meaning that you shoudn't do that park on the busiest day. However, that depends on where you are from.... maybe you don't have easy access to the Disney parks in the US? If so, then I can see where you'd want to avoid DL on it's busiest day.

BTW, Pooh's Hunny Hunt is closed the first two day you are there. This is the highlight of DL, and a ride that you should do twice.

First I want to thank you all for your feedback!

I have been to Disneyworld and Disneyland Paris 4 times and 2 times at Disneyland Anaheim (I recently visited all of them in 2017!).

I do not care for shows, Buzz, Toy Story, Nemo, the small Fantasyland Rides or Star Tours at Tokio Disney.
I will pack some snacks and water, so that I do not have to stand in line for meals.
So my plan looks like that (assuming to be at the entrance at least 1 hour before opening):

April, 30th: Disney Sea with 25,000 other people (normal crowds)
08-09am: get FP for Journey
09-11am: Journey stand-by
11-12am: get FP for 20,000 Leagues
12-03pm: Tower stand-by
03-04pm: Indy single rider
04-05pm: Raging Spirits single rider
05-06pm: Sindbad stand-by
06-07pm: FP Journey
07-08pm: FP 20,000 Leagues
time left: 2 hours until closing

May, 1st: Disneyland with 35,000 other people (normal crowds)
08-09am: get FP for Monsters (one ride is enough for me as I am not into Monsters)
09-11am: BTM stand-by
11-12pm: get FP for Space Mountain
12-02pm: Mansion standy-by
02-03pm: Splash single rider
03-05pm: Pirates stand-by
05-07pm: Jungle Cruise stand-by (only if time permits)
07-08pm: FP Monsters
08-09pm: FP Space Mountain
time left: 1 hour until closing

May, 2nd: Disneyland with 35,000 other people (normal crowds)
08-09am: get FP for Pooh
09-11am: Pooh stand-by
11-12pm: get FP for BTM
12-01pm: Splash single rider
01-03pm: Space Mountain stand-by
03-04pm: Mark Twain (only if time permits)
04-06pm: Western Railroad (only if time permits)
06-08pm: Roger Rabbit (missed the one in Anaheim but will only do it if time permits)
08-09pm: FP Pooh
09-10pm: FP BTM

May, 3rd: Disney Sea with 37,000 other people (crowded but not as heavy as TDL)
08-09am: get FP for Tower
09-11pm: Journey stand-by
11-12pm: get FP for Journey
12-01pm: Ragings Spirits single rider
01-02pm: Indy single rider
02-03pm: Transit Steamer
03-04pm: Electric Railway
04-05pm: FP Tower
05-06pm: FP Journey
time left: 4 hours until closing

As you can see, my priorities are Journey, Tower, Indy, Raging Spirits, Splash, Space, BTM and Pooh which I want to do at least 2 times each. I like the classics (Mansion and Pirates) and the relaxing rides as well (so that I can enjoy the atmosphere and look around).

Again, if there is enough time, I might do the Gondolas at Disney Sea or explore the Mermaid Lagoon or the Treehouse or things like that. I would take that as a bonus.

If all goes well, I may try to visit one of the parks for a half day on Sunday, 29th. My plane touches down at 06:25am at HND and with picking up my pocket wifi, suica card and limo bus ticket, I might check in at noon. Maybe I will do TDL or TDS for a few hours to check the slow rides with big capacities or those with hardly any wait (Railroad, Sindbad, etc.).

After visiting Disney, I will take the first bus to Fuji-Q-Highland (I will buy the ticket online in advance) and stay for one night at the onsite hotel to do the park on two consecutive days (I will have early entry to get fastpass tickets for the big coasters). Again, I am prepared for waiting in long lines, but if I can do the 3 most wanted thrill coasters at least once during my two days there, I am fine.

How does my itinerary sound to you?

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there, have you thought about Nagashima Spa Land? That's the amusement park I hope to make it to in the future in Japan. Steel Dragon 2000 is generally considered one of the best roller coasters in the world.

The plan isn’t bad, but you may want to double check tdrexplorer.com for further information.

I’m not sure a FP for 20,000 Leagues would ever be necessary. At least, I’d prioritise a FP for Tower of Terror over 20,000 Leagues.

Similarly, two hours to grab a FP for Pooh and then ride it in standby is pretty generous. I think you could do both in an hour.

Basically, the plans aren’t bad. But, be prepared to go with the flow and change things up on the day.

Have fun!

You are spending a lot of time in Disney and it seems you don't really care about most of it...... my advice is to do and see as much as you can. During medium attendance days, you don't need to spend two days in each park. I've been twice, and I did everything I wanted to in a day each at a much busier time. To give you a sense of it, here is my rundown on my second visit to TDR:

Monday, August 20, 2012
Arrived at 7:20am
Park opens at 8:30am
Rated as a "46" day on this TDR crowd calendar: http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

Journey (we did not run, most people running to Toy Story Mania)
Aquatopia
DS Got FPs for TOT while we waited for Storm Rider (9:30am FP for 2:20pm entry)
Storm Rider
Indiana Jones (Single Rider Line)
Got FPs for 20,000 (11:30am for 1:35pm entry)
Lunch Vulcania
Mermaid Show
Got FP for Magic Lamp (1:30pm for 1:55pm entry)
Sindbad
20,000 Leagues with FP
Magic Lamp Theatre with FP
Won Lottery for BBB (applied at 3pm)
Tower of Terror with FP
Big Band Beat (3:30pm show)
Duffy Show at Cape Cod Cookout
Got FP for Raging Spirit (4:50pm for 9pm entry)
Mystic Rythyms (5:20pm show)
Made Reservation at Magellan (6pm)
Fortress Exploration
Dinner at Magellan (6:30pm)
Fantasmic (8:10pm)
Raging Spirit with FP
Leave Park 9:30pm (Park closes at 10pm)

Overall impressions: themeing is the thing here, just how amazing it all is. Make sure you do Fortress Exploration and Triton's Kingdom. Get a map of FE in English, you have to ask for it. That way you don't miss any of it. The entrance to Triton's Kinddom is easy to miss. All of it is worth seeing.

Some rides are unique: Aquatopia, Sindbad, Poohs Hunny Hunt. Some folks, including me, think the PHH is the best ride in all of Disney. If you really don't want to do these things, then I guess I am wondering why you want to spend so much time (and money) there.

Raging Spirit will not have a single rider line, that is almost guaranteed. IJ and Splash Mountain will be the only rides that do. RS is a ride to do at night when it is more spectacular and mysterious. During the day it is just lame and slow. Ask for front row at Journey, it makes a difference. Do Journey at least once during the day and once at night. 20,000 is no more of an adult ride than Sindbad or Finding Nemo. It's not as cool as Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

There isn't a big difference between MK and Tokyo's DL. PHH and the new Monster. Inc. ride are the big differences, with only PHH being a great ride. Monsters Inc is fair.

Anyway, i suppose you know your own mind, I simply recommend that, as long as you are there, don't miss out. It's hard to predict what you won't love if you've never done it before.

Last edited:
Well, I definitely want to do Pooh, Sindbad, that's what I already mentioned.... And Pooh is really one of my most wanted rides!
I am just preparing for the worst, so my itinerary seems as if "I do not care", but that is not true. I really care but I had to set priorities in case the parks get really crowded, despite the crowd forecast. If I get to experience the little details (on top of my must do's) which make the park so unique, I am more than happy, hope that explains my plans.

Good idea.

"Hope for the best,
Expect the worst,
Some drink champagne,
Some die of thirst..."

Single Rider for Raging Spirits was open both days we went and it was a Monday and Tuesday with crowds of 40-50 so you may get lucky. I think we were the exception.

I think your plan sounds doable and also quite relaxed, you've got the musts covered and you'll probably have room for more. We managed to do everything except StarJets (rip) and Buzz on our first day (though Jungle Cruise and Big Thunder were closed) and we weren't really rushing around like mad. We managed to do every ride in TDS in a day too. Even if your crowds and ride times are double I think you'll be able to squeeze more in, especially if you're willing to cut low capacity rides like Dumbo and aren't interested in visiting characters houses.

Well, my trip itinerary has changed a little as I managed to get a room at the Ambassador Hotel.
And believe me, it was very hard to book a room!
The booking window opened at 3:00 am (German time zone) / 11:00 am Japan time, so I had to wake up in the middle of the night.
Unfortunately, the booking site got too much traffic, so that I was not able to make a reservation in time - BUMMER.

Thank god I booked a vacation package a few days before (actually the booking window for those open 1 month earlier than the room only package).
But it is definitely pricey!
So in the end, I am doing the first two nights at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay with two additional nights at the Ambassador (tickets, breakfast and fastpasses included).
You can only book that package for at least 2 people, but as I am traveling by myself, I have to pay the price for two and therefore receive 10 (!) fastpasses (no fixed time). That was confirmed via the online reservation service by phone.

Updated schedule:

April, 30th: Disney Sea with 25,000 other people (normal crowds)
09-11am: Journey stand-by
11-12am: get FP for 20,000 Leagues
12-03pm: Tower stand-by
03-04pm: Indy single rider
04-05pm: Raging Spirits single rider
05-07pm: Sindbad stand-by
07-08pm: FP Journey
08-09pm: FP 20,000 Leagues
time left: 1 hour until closing

May, 1st: Disneyland with 35,000 other people (normal crowds but armed with any-time fastpasses)
08-09am: get FP for BTM
09-10am: Splash single rider
10-11am: any-time FP Monsters
11-12pm: get FP for Space Mountain
12-02pm: Jungle Cruise
02-03pm: Treehouse
03-05pm: Pirates
05-06pm: FP BTM
06-07pm: any-time FP Haunted Mansion
07-08pm: FP Space Mountain
08-10pm: Roger Rabbit

May, 2nd: Disneyland with 35,000 other people (normal crowds but armed with any-time fastpasses)
08-09am: get FP for Pooh
09-10am: any-time FP Pooh
10-11am: Splash single rider
12-01pm: get FP for Space Mountain
01-02pm: any-time FP BTM
02-04pm: Mark Twain
04-06pm: Western Railroad
06-07pm: FP Pooh
07-08pm: FP Space
08-09pm: any-time FP Pooh
09-10pm: any-time FP BTM

May, 3rd: Disney Sea with 37,000 other people (crowded but armed with any-time fastpasses)
09-10am: Ragings Spirits single rider
10-11am: Indy single rider
11-12pm: any-time FP Journey
12-01pm: any-time FP Tower
01-02pm: Transit Steamer
02-03pm: Electric Railway
03-04pm: Fortress Explorations
04-05pm: any-time FP Tower
05-06pm: FP Journey
leave to get the Fuji-Q-Bus from Tokyo Station at 08:20pm......

If you don't want to do the package, you can currently book April 30 with a May 3rd check out at the Ambassador through Japanican. It's 128,889 for 3 nights before tax (room only), but it will sell out so decide quickly. You can also book the nights of the 30 and 1st at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel through Japanican, but Miracosta is gone.

I'm not sure why you've booked 4 nights.... April 30 (1 night) May 1 (night 2) May 2 (night 3) May 3rd you're leaving for Tokyo Station.... so the night is spent... Fuji Yoshida/Gotemba? You might want to make sure you booked the correct nights. ^^; Unless you are staying on April 29th in the Tokyo Disney area.

I'm sure you can use all the passes, I looked into a package as well, but the rate was more than 2x the room rate booking on my own and included a breakfast I was not going to eat. :(

I'd still prioritise a FP for Tower of Terror over 20,000 Leagues. ToT standby times can be up to three hours. I don't think the standby times for 20,000 Leagues ever gets that bad.

Also, the maximum wait time for something like Sindbad is probably going to be 15 to 30 minutes. You don't need to allocate two hours for Sindbad.

Some of the other times are very generous. It won't take you an hour to grab a FP for Pooh. Monsters Inc takes most of the FP crown upon opening. You would probably be able to grab a FP for Pooh AND ride Pooh by standby within an hour.

Have you been reading tdrexplorer.com? It will provide you with good information about each of the parks. disneytouristblog is also a good resource.

I'd still prioritise a FP for Tower of Terror over 20,000 Leagues. ToT standby times can be up to three hours. I don't think the standby times for 20,000 Leagues ever gets that bad.

Also, the maximum wait time for something like Sindbad is probably going to be 15 to 30 minutes. You don't need to allocate two hours for Sindbad.

Some of the other times are very generous. It won't take you an hour to grab a FP for Pooh. Monsters Inc takes most of the FP crown upon opening. You would probably be able to grab a FP for Pooh AND ride Pooh by standby within an hour.

Have you been reading tdrexplorer.com? It will provide you with good information about each of the parks. disneytouristblog is also a good resource.

I was going to say the same about ToT - I ran for it when it opened while my partner got Toy Story fastpasses. I was on in 10 minutes and then I came out the queue was 2 hours and that was a low crowd day.

Thanks again for your feedback which helps a lot!

To make things clear, I will arrive at the resort on Sunday, 29th, so I am staying 4 nights in total until I leave for Fuji-Q-Highland. There are no affordable resort hotels available for the 29th, so I had to split my stays. In the end, the package makes a price difference for about 400$ , but as I get 10 anytime fastpasses, breakfast and admission tickets, it justifies the amount for me.

Sure, I would rather grab a fastpass for Tower but I assume there might be no fastpasses available anymore at 11am, so I think 20000 Leagues would be the better choice.

Again, the schedule is not set in stone, so if there are fastpasses for Tower, I will definitely pick one of those. I am just preparing for the worst.

Last edited:
I would encourage you to walk through the underground Mermaid Lagoon. You don't need to ride the rides, see the show, or eat there, but it's worth a look. I think it's the most spectacularly themed area of any of the Disney parks I've been to.

Agree with a PP that Raging Spirits is rather blah and a single nighttime ride should be more than enough. It looks a lot more thrilling than it really is. Also, the line is completely unpredictable. I've seen it reach 180 minutes during slow times and I've seen it at under an hour on a Saturday during the start of Halloween (generally a busy time).

I'm kind of shocked that the crowds are expected to be that low during Golden Week, especially since you said the hotels seem to be filling up. I've been in the parks on yellow and red days and I've never had trouble booking a room a couple of months before my trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!