Help me choose! AKL, Riviera, or old faithful, POR?!

The only thing I don’t like about AKL is the lack of walking and running areas. I have found the buses to be very good there- better for example than Beach Club/ Boardwalk, and Contemporary.
Beach club/boardwalk is brutal. We jist did beach club last summer for access to hs but whenever we had to grab busses I knew we were going to be waiting.
But again buses are like a hand of cards.

Considering the bounce back free dining might be the last discount to look forward to ( Anniversary crowds ,etc, next year) I would keep it for this year and plan to “check out” the Riviera to see the holiday decorations. The money you save this year can = return visit sooner.
The Riviera resort is beautiful beyond words and very relaxing to wander thru in the evening.
Be sure to ask for the Daily Resort Recreation Guide at the lobby :

SkyLiner Rally Scavenger Hunt Sunday Noon MWF 3:00 self led adventure to follow clues throughout the SkyLiner Resorts
Begins at the Eventi Room

Also stop at the DVC desk in lobby they have Art Scavenger Hunt Guide self led to focus on the impressive art collection of the Resort. Be sure to look at the foreign Disney movie posters also.

And get Mickey&Minnie Minnie French postcards for sale in the gift shop... very cute.

Riviera Grand Prix Noon-1:00 Guests can assemble their own cars and race them down the Minaco inspired track at the Movie Lawn
Watch unless you want to buy that kit in the gift shop($$&)

Opening Regatta 30 minutes prior to the pool open assemble at the feature pool to see who has the fastest ship in the Mediterranean .(remote control)
I think the lifeguards have a unique way to open each resort every day. I know I have only remembered for the POP Century ( they all arrived with tie dyed hippy dippy wigs) . I wonder if the AK lifeguards have a fun Open? I keep meaning to check out different activity guides at all the resorts.

Finally in the evening they don’t just have movies & smores
They have Cote D’Azur Campfire!

I can only describe the RR as Rivieraaaah

Last edited:
I stayed at POP, POR, OKW, CSR, YC and AKL. I really fall in love with POR as it was so peaceful. But if the money is no issue, than I would always choose AKL above POR. I really love to have a balcony to enjoy my coffee in the morning or my beer in the evening, and with the view on different animals each time (I booked a Standard view, but my room request of partial Savanah View really was a full one) I use it quite more often than the balcony at YC or OKW. As for the busses I never had better experiences than with AKL, never waited more than 10mins even with rope dropping or closing the park. Keep in mind, that when it is further to 3/4 parks than POR or CSR, with just one (okay two with Kidani, but this is so near) bus stop you don't waste time on the bus for the internal route through multiple bus stops, which can easily consume 10mins at resorts like POR, CSR or OKW before heading to the park or after entering the resort.

Also, I feel like AKL is Disney theming at its finest. IMO, AKL is the most impressive, exquisite lobby and the details all around the resort are impressive to say the least.
this is why we love AKL so much. The theming and dining is amazing, and it just feels like a restful oasis away from the parks. I think with a trip as long as the OP's it would be a great place to be for some downtime.

I was considering POR as well. Which side is better? I’m worried about long walks back to room after parks though. Also is it a noisy resort when you are trying to sleep at night?

We've stayed there so many times. Sometimes the walk has been on the longer side, however it's so very quiet and peaceful I've never minded. We have stayed in the mansion rooms and Alligator Bayou, and prefer Alligator Bayou!

We found bus service at AKL to be just fine. Think about it this way, at the end of the night, WDW can increase the number of buses running, that can't be said for the monorail. AKL is a very fun resort, easily the best value of the deluxes if you have kiddos that enjoy that sort of thing.

I haven't seen the Riviera up close but from what I have seen it looks ... nice. But like a really lower-case n, nice. Kinda bland, or not bland but just not quite Disney enough. Like if they set bedrooms up inside the California Grill. A wonderfully magical Disney restaurant but I wouldn't want to sleep there.

POR is my go-to resort. It's always a safe bet. But if you enjoy the dining plan, sometimes factoring in the cost of upgrading it, the price difference between POR and AKL is small enough to make the decision that much tougher.

This resonates with me! One of the reasons we really love POR is because it feels like Disney, not just like a nice hotel I could stay in anywhere. When I showed my oldest son (12) photos of the Riviera last night his first comment "It doesn't really look like Disney, it looks nice mom, but not super Disney-ish."

All of your responses to this thread have been so helpful, seriously. I appreciate your feedback!

I have stayed at POR and AKL but never Riviera. Riviera is so expensive that it's hard to justify. Perhaps staying on DVC points would be more affordable, but I doubt many owners are renting out points yet. We are going to AKL for our upcoming trip, and I was torn between AKL and POR. AKL was $675 more that POR but we aren't visiting AK this trip so I thought it would be nice to be able to see the animals and the dining is far superior at AKL. Also, I feel like AKL is Disney theming at its finest. IMO, AKL is the most impressive, exquisite lobby and the details all around the resort are impressive to say the least. POR is great, but for us on this occasion, we picked AKL. It's been 17 years since I last stayed there and my husband has never been. We are looking forward to it!

Yes the cost does seem prohibitive the more I consider it. I agree that AKL is Disney theming at its finest, it is my favorite resort to visit, the details are just incredible and I haven't really had a chance to explore it as much as I'd like when just visiting for a meal. Thank you for your feedback!

Considering the bounce back free dining might be the last discount to look forward to ( Anniversary crowds ,etc, next year) I would keep it for this year and plan to “check out” the Riviera to see the holiday decorations. The money you save this year can = return visit sooner.
The Riviera resort is beautiful beyond words and very relaxing to wander thru in the evening.
Be sure to ask for the Daily Resort Recreation Guide at the lobby :

SkyLiner Rally Scavenger Hunt Sunday Noon MWF 3:00 self led adventure to follow clues throughout the SkyLiner Resorts
Begins at the Eventi Room

Also stop at the DVC desk in lobby they have Art Scavenger Hunt Guide self led to focus on the impressive art collection of the Resort. Be sure to look at the foreign Disney movie posters also.

And get Mickey&Minnie Minnie French postcards for sale in the gift shop... very cute.

Riviera Grand Prix Noon-1:00 Guests can assemble their own cars and race them down the Minaco inspired track at the Movie Lawn
Watch unless you want to buy that kit in the gift shop($$&)

Opening Regatta 30 minutes prior to the pool open assemble at the feature pool to see who has the fastest ship in the Mediterranean .(remote control)
I think the lifeguards have a unique way to open each resort every day. I know I have only remembered for the POP Century ( they all arrived with tie dyed hippy dippy wigs) . I wonder if the AK lifeguards have a fun Open? I keep meaning to check out different activity guides at all the resorts.

Finally in the evening they don’t just have movies & smores
They have Cote D’Azur Campfire!

I can only describe the RR as Rivieraaaah

Thank you, great ideas and information, I appreciate it!

this is why we love AKL so much. The theming and dining is amazing, and it just feels like a restful oasis away from the parks. I think with a trip as long as the OP's it would be a great place to be for some downtime.

I'm finding myself leaning this way, eliminating Riviera as an option, thank you!

Thank you all SO much for your thoughts, input, responses! I decided to stick with our AKL reservation for the full trip!

although you decided where you wanted to goi'm going to be the odd one out and suggest going to riveria! my friend stayed there a week ago and absolutely loved it. my family has stayed @ AKL 2 times and the transportation isn't too bad, just inconvenient if you miss a bus to MK :sad2: besides that, AKL is a beautiful resort

although you decided where you wanted to goi'm going to be the odd one out and suggest going to riveria! my friend stayed there a week ago and absolutely loved it. my family has stayed @ AKL 2 times and the transportation isn't too bad, just inconvenient if you miss a bus to MK :sad2: besides that, AKL is a beautiful resort

I've been known to change things up last minute so I will 100% keep that in mind! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter