Help me choose??

QueenDoOver

Dis Diva
Finally my dream has come true and I will be taking my family to Disney World next August. We are staying the 14th to the 27th and will be in a DVC unit the entire time. I just really can't decide which one would be the best for the family. I would love to hear your opinions and why you think we would enjoy a specific resort.

We are a family of four. Mom and Dad are pushing 50 and not in the best walking shape, although we are trying to change that. Add to that we are from the pacific northwest and not used to high temps and humidity. We are an experienced Disney family and have spent a 9 day trip at Disneyland. We love the shows, and the rides. We want to experience the water parks this trip, and probably some of the water sports too. Kids are both boys, age 16 and age 9, almost 10 when we go on the trip. My oldest is a bit adventurous and anxious to experience more than the "theme park" experience.

We will have a car at least part of the time. We will likely be in either a 2 bedroom or possibly a grand villa depending on who of our friends and family decide to come along. (I know a grand villa may not be a possibility)

We all love to have pool time. Last year at DLH in July, I could barely pull my son out of the new monorail themed pool area to go back to the parks. He just played and swam until he passed out on the lounge chair and was happy to just go back for a few hours at night. I suspect we will be doing some of that this trip, thus the long trip.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Tracey

I'd do a split stay. One week at Beach Club Villas (my home resort) because it has the best pool and great location to 2 parks. I'd then spend a week at Kidani because it's a beautiful and unique resort, still has one of the better pools. I've done a grand villa and a 2 bedroom here and I just love this resort.

We go every summer and do a split stay between BWV or BCV and BLT. It allows us to be close to 3 or the 4 parks. It also makes it feel like two vacations.

We only go for 5 or 6 nights so in your case, I think it would be an ideal choice to split between two places.

Good luck!

Finally my dream has come true and I will be taking my family to Disney World next August. We are staying the 14th to the 27th and will be in a DVC unit the entire time. Add to that we are from the pacific northwest and not used to high temps and humidity.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Tracey

would you consider the fall - does you son have a winter or fall break from school.

if you are NOT used to the high temps and humidity - August is a killer. Now it can be done. You go to the parks early when it gets to hot or humidity or someone just can't go on - you leave - come back at night - when it is cooler and less humid. this is a problem if you want to plan during the day. You can forget that in August.

if you child is into the monorail - then go with BLT. Although might go with VWL or AKV (jambo house) - because your parents might enjoy their lobbies a little more. lots of people watching that these resorts.

if you go in fall then would go with BWV or BCV - both are close to Epcot and the food/wine

Yay for you, Tracey!

I *loved* the Boardwalk pool slide. The big scary clown one. Doesn't look as creepy in person as it does in pictures, it turns out. And it's very fun. And I really loved Boardwalk, much to my surprise.

But we also love Old Key West, because it's so laid back, and the units are SO big.

August is going to be hard. Do not underestimate that heat. Our September trip was very very difficult. We were glad the whole time that it wasn't freezing, like it was in December, but that didn't make our *bodies* feel better about the heat. I highly recommend "wicking" material for all clothing, right down to underwear. Cotton's just awful for that. And you really cannot drink enough water. It's going to be a challenge to make it through with the August heat, but you can do it. :)

I wouldn't recommend OKW since your parents have problems walking. Only a few of the buildings have an elevator so your parents might have to walk the stairs if you are unable to get a first floor villa.

I would recommend AKV (Kidani Village), BCV and BLT. AKV for the savanna view and 2BRs with three bathrooms. Kids just love their pool and water play area.

BCV and BLT because each are within walking distance to a park. I chose BCV over BWV because of the pool, Stormalong Bay. SAB is almost like a mini water park. BLT is also a monorail ride from two other deluxe resorts and a ferry ride to Ft. Wildernesss and Wilderness Lodge, so you have a large selection of restaurants to choose from.

I am not a fan of split stays, because I like to unpack and enjoy the time I'm there. It is a great way to see a couple of different resorts, though.

It all depends on what you're looking for:
Old Key West: Most space inside each unit by far. Beautiful, peaceful grounds. Can take a boat to DTD. Condo style resort - not hotel style.
Saratoga: Beautiful grounds. Can walk to DTD or take a boat. IMHO, has one of the best sit down restaurants at WDW - Turf Club. Nice zero entry pool for little kids. Condo style resort.
BWV: In the heart of the Boardwalk. Close to restaurants and BW activities. Walking distance to HS and Epcot. Kids liked the clown-themed pool. Hotel style resort.
BCV: Absolutely beautiful resort. Great pool - arguably the best DVC pool on property. Right beside Epcot. Feels both in the heart of things, but peaceful at the same time. No grand villas here. Hotel style resort.
VWL: Beautiful, wooded setting. Main lobby feels very grand. Nice workout facility and close to MK. We like Whispering Canyon (sit-down restaurant) here. Hotel style resort.
AKV: Animals are amazing. AKV has a rich, dark theme that feels very exotic. Main lobby feels very grand as well. We don't care for the dining options there, but we are DEFINITELY in the minority. Many people just visit AK so they can eat at Boma. Hotel style resort.
BLT: Can't beat the location. Lots of dining options at the Contemporary. Can hop a monorail to MK or walk. Hotel style resort.

We have stayed at all of the resorts except for BLT. They all offer a different vacation experience, as they are very unique and have their own vibe, so to speak. I'd go out and look at the virtual tours so you can see what appeals to you, but based on your comments, BCV may be your best bet. The animals at AKV are kind of hard to beat, too. Being from the west, VWL may not have the same "wow" factor that it does for me (since DH and I are from Ohio).

Have fun deciding and planning your trip! You will have an amazing time no matter where you stay! You really can't go wrong IMHO. :thumbsup2

BWV would be perfect for the boys (there is soooooo much to do: street performers, carny games, community hall, etc). you can alsoo give them a bit of freedom here. your parents would most likely love the convenience of 2 parks just a walk or short boatride away, as well as activities close at hand (jellyrolls, belle vue lounge, atlantic dance, dining, etc)
BLT would be good for a split stay. the walk to MK might be a bit long, but the monorail would be fun for the boys.
BCV has a huge, themed pool, but we find the pool too crowded and resort too noisy for our tastes (it tends to have very many little kids).
AKV would be good for a split stay also. the decor and animals are fascinating, but might become boring for an extended trip.

Thank you, thank you!

You have confirmed my thoughts! I think I will prioritize BCV and BWV, and then try for a split to AKV, or BLT. Honestly, would be happy for anyone of the resorts at all, but I want to try for best fit:)

I know that the heat is going to kill us! I think we probably have equal tolerance Molly! What is wicking clothing and where is a good place to get it???

We're from the PNW and have done trips in Feb (1x), May/June (1) and Aug/Sept (3x).

While the Spring/Summer trips were hot they were all do-able. The great thing with going end of Aug/Beg Sept is lower crowds. We have never waited more than 10-15 minutes in line (this does not include TSM! :rotfl:). The downside is it can be difficult to get dining reservations with FD, (granted it seems FD is nearly year round now).

We've stayed in a 2BR at Kidani, SSR and BLT. While we enjoyed SSR, it truly is a lovely resort we preferred Kidani and BLT for different reasons each. We definitely liked the layout better and having the extra bathroom at Kidani and BLT was a bonus, especially in the mornings with 7 people getting ready.

Our last trip we fell in love with BWV. :love: There a lot to do having the Boardwalk there and 2 parks within walking distance.

I suggest going to All Ears and as a group sit down and look at photos of the various rooms and resorts and see what appeals and what doesn't. From there you can narrow it down to your top 3 choices and affordability of points.

Let me echo the "be careful of the heat and humidity". We were there August 2010...never again! I collapsed at the MK and got a "fast pass" to the Celebration Hospital. This included a ride through the off-stage area behind Main Street. The ER at the hospital was jammed both with us tourists and a bunch of WDW Cast Members.

BTW, Mickey didn't charge me for the ambulance ride. I think it's one of the only things they give away for free.

I know that the heat is going to kill us! I think we probably have equal tolerance Molly! What is wicking clothing and where is a good place to get it???

wicking just lets the sweat evaporate more easily than cotten does. Don't even know if you can find it up north?

would try internet. It is expensive.

I just drink water - lots and lots of water. even when you don't think you need anymore - kept drinking. the humdity can fool you.

I just drink water - lots and lots of water. even when you don't think you need anymore - kept drinking. the humdity can fool you.

This :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And if you can each have a glass of gatorade or some sort of beverage with electrolytes before you leave the room, if you return to your room for a break have another and most definitely have one at the end of the day. You really need to keep hydrated. Pop won't do it. it needs to be water.

As a hint all counter service spots will give you free water, just ask for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter