Help Me Plan? One Day Visit 1/29

SteelSonny

Earning My Ears
I have a pretty good sense of how to maneuver Disney with my family but I'm stressing out about Universal.

We're going on Monday, 1/29 which looks to be a pretty low crowd day but staying at Disney and driving over so no early admission. My son (4) and daughter (8) are HP nuts.

I'm generally hearing that the early rush to Harry Potter attractions tends to be early and I definitely don't want to fry my son with waiting in lines. First instinct is to get there at opening and hit all the other ones I think they'll love -- Spidey, Minions, Jurassic, Seuss, Playareas etc and then move towards Potter after lunch as they clear out.

However, we only have one day and I'd probably be stressed risking getting it wrong and having it be crowded late.

Anyone with experience about crowd flow that can steer me right? Thanks!

Go to HP first! For a true HP fan, those areas are going to take most of the day - at least they did for me on my first trip. That way you can add on the other "would be nice" areas if you have time, but aren't trying to jam the important HP stuff into the later part of the day. Also, keep in mind that the Universal parks close MUCH earlier than Disney. You won't have as much "later in the day time" as you think.

The day that you are going is the day of the Celebration of Harry Potter ends so I'm not sure how that is going to impact the crowd levels in the parks, but I've done several "off-peak" trips and I've never found a "rush to HP." Maybe right after the HP areas opened, it was that way, but not any more. I tend to advise heading to the Hogsmead/Islands of Adventure side first as that area is smaller and tends to feel more crowded faster, but the reality is that you are going at a slow time of year and shouldn't have any trouble. Get there early (yes, well before opening as it is a HIKE from the parking to the actual parks) and have a great time!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I’m kind of glad you said this. As much fun as they’ll have everywhere else we’re there for HP and don’t want to miss out or rush or have my son tired out.

Good thoughts on Hogsmead. Ahead of my next question. :)

I like to compare the HP worlds to fine dining - you want to take your time, enjoy the experience and look for the hidden flavors. Most of the HP world is just exploring and definitely does not involve waiting in line (although the ride lines are exquisite in their detail and can be explored again and again even without riding the ride itself). You want to take the time to play with the wand stations (or watch others if you chose not to buy one), talk to the conductor of the Knight Bus, watch for Kretcher at Grimmald Place, explore Knockturn Alley, eat at one (or both) of the restaurants. explore the gift shops (make sure to look all around including up to catch the details), get one (or more) butterbeers, etc. I always cringe at people who are determined to do EVERYTHING in both parks in one day. Can it be done? Yes. But do you miss something by rushing around? Yes.

Relax and you will have a wonderful time. The HP areas are truly magical!

Just a heads up that your day at the park could have crowds

The Potter gala event ends Sunday the day before you do the dark side

There will be peeps that will extend their stay after the Potter package

Just go early and have a plan for the day
Hope you have a great day there!

Just a heads up that your day at the park could have crowds

The Potter gala event ends Sunday the day before you do the dark side

There will be peeps that will extend their stay after the Potter package

Just go early and have a plan for the day
Hope you have a great day there!

Thanks! Yeah, we are in Orlando from Friday to Monday. I switched plans to go to Universal on Monday to avoid the Celebration. Hoping there won't be too many holdovers. TouringPlans doesn't seen to anticipate it, but we'll see!

I like to compare the HP worlds to fine dining - you want to take your time, enjoy the experience and look for the hidden flavors. Most of the HP world is just exploring and definitely does not involve waiting in line (although the ride lines are exquisite in their detail and can be explored again and again even without riding the ride itself). You want to take the time to play with the wand stations (or watch others if you chose not to buy one), talk to the conductor of the Knight Bus, watch for Kretcher at Grimmald Place, explore Knockturn Alley, eat at one (or both) of the restaurants. explore the gift shops (make sure to look all around including up to catch the details), get one (or more) butterbeers, etc. I always cringe at people who are determined to do EVERYTHING in both parks in one day. Can it be done? Yes. But do you miss something by rushing around? Yes.

Relax and you will have a wonderful time. The HP areas are truly magical!

Thanks! Will do.

We have a pretty serious love affair with The Simpsons in our family too. So if we get there, soak in HP and maybe some Jurassic Park, the rest is gravy :)

I raised 4 sons on the simpsons

I love the show

And my boys did also watching their reruns

They loved the Simpson section at the darkside

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter