Help! Need info on ECV

hyland113

Earning My Ears
Hi Just found out my mom tore something in her knee. We are leaving for Disney Sat 11/5. On top of that she has Crohn's and it's acting up. The only way I can see her coming with us and having a good time is to rent an ECV. Well first she's nervous because she has never ridden one ( I have to say she's not the most coordinated) and she feels embarrassed(she knows getting on and off the bus will cause peaple to wait and she feels she looks healthy and people will be annoyed) I told her I've seen people who look healthy in ECV's and no one knows what other peoples problems or pains are and they should mind their business. My question is do you think she can handle one? Should we just rent it in the park or rent one for the week? Any advice or suggestions are really appreciated. This was going to be a big family trip and I want my mom to be able to enjoy it.

hyland113 said:
I told her I've seen people who look healthy in ECV's and no one knows what other peoples problems or pains are and they should mind their business.
you are right.
The ones in the parks are slower, larger and a bit more "bulky" to drive. They are also less manouverable. The off site rental ones are smaller and easier to steer. Both have a steering handle (sort of like steering a bike).
The parks should typically not be that busy when you are going (it gets busier around Thanksgiving), so that will help.
For the buses, have her practice moving around with the ECV before you leave the resort; things like parallel parking next to curbs. If she is comfortable getting into a position forward and backward, that will help with the buses and when she is directed to a specific place in the parks. If worse comes to worse, another adult can drive the ECV into the bus for her or you can out it into "freewheeling mode" so it can be pushed onto the bus.

If she can drive a car, she already has the navigation skills to drive an ECV. Just a little differnt type of car.

I'm sure that some of the regula poster who drive EVs will be along soon to give you some pointers and encouragement.
Hope you all have fun.

Oh thank you so much for your quick reply. You can't believe how nervous I am (I'm ready to cry). We are staying in a regular room in PC do you think that we will fit the ECV in the room to recharge at night. I really don't need a handicap accessible room because she can walk, just not for an extended period. Also with getting on rides and going into dinners, would it just be best for her to park outside and walk in. We hate to cause a scene.

The rooms at PC can fit an ECV near an outlet without crowding; it might have to stay between the window and one bed. I would suggest bring an extension cord (not more than six foot) which may help.

If you click on "disABILTIES!" at the top of this page it will take you to the index; go to the "disABILTIES! FAQ" which is one of the first threads -- there is a lot of information there about ECVs and a list of recommended rental locations.

You might take her to a supermarket or WalMart-type store that has ECVs available for use just to experiment. However, as Sue said the rental ECVs are much easier to maneuver than Disney's and Disney's are actually easier to use than the ones in the stores.

hyland113 said:
Hi Just found out my mom tore something in her knee. We are leaving for Disney Sat 11/5. On top of that she has Crohn's and it's acting up. The only way I can see her coming with us and having a good time is to rent an ECV. Well first she's nervous because she has never ridden one ( I have to say she's not the most coordinated) and she feels embarrassed(she knows getting on and off the bus will cause peaple to wait and she feels she looks healthy and people will be annoyed) I told her I've seen people who look healthy in ECV's and no one knows what other peoples problems or pains are and they should mind their business.

My question is do you think she can handle one?

As everyone else has said, let her practice at the grocery store or Walmart or Home Depot using their scooters. They may all be bigger than the three wheel scooter that you rent while in Florida. She can practice to her hearts delight.

hyland113 said:
Should we just rent it in the park or rent one for the week? Any advice or suggestions are really appreciated. This was going to be a big family trip and I want my mom to be able to enjoy it.

Personally, I would rent one to use the whole vacation. I love Pop Century resort and my 3-wheel scooter fits just fine.

When moving in tight situations tell her to always set the speed dial as low/slow as possible before entering that situation. She can always increase her speed later in more open areas.

When entering the busses, you could help her up the ramp or lift. If using a lift or ramp that you have to back into, just put the scooter in very slow speed, and you can help turn the handlebars to help up get on the lift or up the ramp. You can also help her park in the bus. Going straignt up a bus ramp is much easier, but you could do the same thing in reverse.

Getting off of the bus you could do the same thing until she asks to try it herself.

You can enter the restaurant and most servers will choose a table to let you drive a scooter up to. The chair will turn so you can drive up to a table and you can help her turn the chair until she is ready.

Or you can park the scooter and walk in. Just take your key with you.

You'll see a lot of places to park as you see other scooters, or just ask a WDW Castmember what to do.

I wouldn't rent from the park each day, because sometimes just walking from the resort room, standing in line for the bus, walking from the bus to the ECV rental place inside the park can really take a beating on you.

And then think about doing the same thing in reverse after a long day.

Believe me, she will have a much better time with a rental scooter.

Sincerely, Ray :)

hyland113 said:
Oh thank you so much for your quick reply. You can't believe how nervous I am (I'm ready to cry). We are staying in a regular room in PC do you think that we will fit the ECV in the room to recharge at night. I really don't need a handicap accessible room because she can walk, just not for an extended period. Also with getting on rides and going into dinners, would it just be best for her to park outside and walk in. We hate to cause a scene.

I use a mobility scooter at WDW now, and it is much easier for me at the WDW resorts getting to and from the parks using the WDW transportation. And I don't need a handicap room either.

Yes, it will fit into all of the Value and Moderate rooms easily. Just drive in the doorway, along side of the window, park and plug. And an extension plug would be easier.

The nice thing about WDW is that you can get in most of the regular attraction ride lines with everyone else until a Castmember directs you elsewhere because of stairs.

And they will usually move your scooter to the nearby exit waiting for you to get off.

All the newer rides let you get in the regular lines, like Epcot's Soarin'. They even have a spot marked for you on the floor to park next to your seat.

On the other hand, Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain allows you into the regular line all of the way up to the first stairs, and then you are directed in another direction not requiring stairs.

You'll have a magical time.

Sincerely, Ray :)

Just so you're aware - the space available t maneuver the ECV into the double-bedded PC rooms is, um, tight. It was more difficult for me since I was alone, but I was surprised how close the bed was to the door.

I thank everyone for their response. I rented a scooter yesterday from Randy's and good thing because when my mom woke up today the whole bottom half of her leg was swollen. She's going back to the doctor today and I just hope she is able to come. If you can believe it she is still saying how embarrassed she is... oh well I'm sure once she's in the Disney Magic it will help her take her mind off it. Again thank you all! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter