Help planning a 2006 trip!!

holcomb-mania

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to pre-plan for a 2006 trip to WDW. But the timing is giving me fits. The past two years we went in October, which was great weather-wise, and OK crowd-wise.

Overriding concerns: as the kids get older (they will be in 5th and 3rd grades) I am less comfortable with taking them out of school. In fall of '06, my DD will be starting middle school, so that seems to be out of the question. But in spring, they'll miss up to 8 days of school (don't really want to go during Spring Break--crowds), and with the end-of-grade testing I don't like taking them out that long.

I guess my question boils down to this: is going in July so bad? My DW has voiced concerns about heat and crowds, which I understand completely. But I feel the crowds can be managed: the parks are open later at night, E-Nights would probably be available, and we'll be veterans of the parks and know what we want to do much better. As for the heat, there are always places to cool off, and if we go for up to 10-11 days, we can tour more leisurely by taking afternoons off and going to the pool/water parks.

I've learned tons on these boards. Any and all opinions/recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

How about at THanksgiving time? We're going on T-day this year but staying until the following Wed. Yes, it's crowded until Sunday but it's crowded during July/August also. I would go as early in the summer vacation as you can. It gets really humid the closer to late Aug you get. If you go at T-day time, you can leave on T-day and stay until mid-week the following week and your kids only miss 3 days of school.

and here's what I/we decided. We are going Sept 1-8, 2005 and will be getting our first AP's for that trip. DD will be 13 by then and in the 8th grade. She will be missing 4 days of school. Up until this point I have never given any thought as to whether pulling her out was the best thing or not...I just did it and never had any problems with her schoolwork, teachers, grades, etc. I know this can be a touchy subject and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We made our decision after much thought and have never had any regrets. I knew as she got older I would have to start considering this (more carefully) and this next trip is where I start. So...she will miss 4 days in 2005. Then, because we will have AP's to use and to keep her from missing school, we will go in August 2006 for 12-14 days. Yes, it will be hot and probably more crowded but we will also be staying longer and can take a slower pace. Since we have gone several times we all know what we do and don't want/like to do. Just my 2 cents.:teeth: Just weigh all your options and do what works best for your family. Have fun with all your planning!

We have been in August and July before, I think we've been every month of the year come to think of it...LOL But, we went in July and although it was hot everywhere, the parks make every effort to keep you comfy. They have those mist sprayers set up in the long lines, so as you wait you get misted. And the little TVs playing in the different ride lines keep you occupied. There are plenty of refreshment carts around, and taking a slower pace always helps :)

I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter when you go. Just remember that warmer weather and crowds sometimes spells really bad tempers, people are hot and feel icky and so they may snip at you for walking in front of them or taking the last ketchup packet...LOL

I don't think July is so bad. We go in July and we expect heat and humidity. We go to the parks early, leave mid-day and go back to the hotel to swim/nap. Then we return in the evening. Oh, and we never go without our trusty mister/fan water bottles. We go in July every year and love it- the parks are open late and there aren't as many rides being refurbished.

Geeze, I thought my wait was bad!!!!! We are going in October, 2005. I'm glad to hear that the weather and crowds are good in October. We plan on going to Discovery cove too, so I hope it's not too cold.

Going in July I would think would be horrible!!! The heat, the crowds, everything. I would suggest NOT going in July if you want to enjoy yourself.

I used to live in Florida (clearwater), so I know that summers there are horrible, and we were by the Gulf. I can't even imagine what it's like more inland.

Thanks for the replies.

My wife is worried about the heat, but it isn't a really big issue for me. Living in NC, it's 85-90 degrees with 90% humidity in July. I know for a fact Orlando can't be much worse than that. After Googling, I found average July temps are around 82. And during our two trips in October, the temperatures were 80-85 for most of both trips. What makes things hot is walking around on asphalt all day. Then again, you can duck into Mickey's Philharmagic or It's Tough to be a Bug to cool off for 30 minutes.

My primary concern is crowd management and doing all we set out to do. My tentative goals: see a great percentage of the parks, and do Blizzard Beach AND Typhoon Lagoon over 6-7 days (using late nights to full advantage), do 2 days at Universal, 1 at Sea World and go to Discovery Cove within an 11 day/10 night vacation.

I think it is doable, especially by "combining" days, like doing a park in the morning, BB in the afternoon, and Fantasmic that night, for instance. Does anyone disagree? Are my eyes too big for my stomach?

Thanksgiving and Labor Day are not bad ideas. The only problem is that we'll probably be keeping the kids out of school for at least 5 days, no matter what. Going in October again is possible, and they get 2 days around Columbus Day.

Unfortunately, after caving into the tourism lobby (from the beaches) the state legislature just passed a law REQUIRING school to start later in August. But they'll go later in June, so what is the net affect? Nothing. Summer break is still the same length. I had thought about going the first week of June to take advantage of slightly lower crowds and the end of the Star Wars days at the Studios. Now I have no idea what the school calendar will look like next year, until the school systems get a better grip on the new law. Sigh.

Can I manage not to write a book every time I post? If I'm this bad a year and half from the trip, can you imagine how nuts I'm gonna be a year from now? Or when my PS window opens?

Hi...I just had to make this same decision for my 3rd and 5th grade DD's. I was seriously considering taking a week out of school the first of May after State Testing. With DD "graduating", I'm afraid she'll miss some good things and I worry about her grades. She's never made a "B" on the report card so far and it means A LOT to her.

Anyway, we've chosen to go to WDW June 2-9 (including Gay Day weekend crowds, I know). I'm sure we'll have a great time and hopefully the weather (we're used to it in Texas) and crowds won't get us too bad. Hey - it's WDW, right? What can be too bad? Have fun planning no matter when you go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter