Help ... where do I start?

divagirl2

Earning My Ears
I'm a new grandma and would like to take my soon-to-be 4 year old (she'll be 4 next month) to WDW next year (when she turns 5). Also traveling with us will be my husband who will turn into a 5 year old once we hit the MK! Just thinking about all the planning is overwhelming! Where should I start? Do I get the tickets first? or should I do PS? We will be staying at Orange Lake (a timeshare) and will be driving. Where do you park? Any suggestions?

Thanks much.

:confused: diva grandma

You've got a lot of (fun) work ahead. An excellent place to start is Deb Will's website: http://www.wdwig.com

I believe that the more you research ahead of time, the more enjoyable your trip can be. Just remember to take some relaxation time- nobody ever sees/does it all in one trip.

Check out mousesavers.com also they have some tips on saving money in the world. I'm just like your husband, I'm way more excited than my kids. Of course they don't know what to expect. They are used to Kennywood. Have a great time planning, its half the fun.

I like using Birbaum's guidebook. They also have a version just for kids. I agree part of the fun is the planning. Staying off property does make it a little harder for a little one (no slipping to the hotel for an afternoon nap.

Since one of the most special times for the youngest guests is the character breakfasts you may want to check that out.

By the way, it's never too early to start planning. Doing the research is fun (do a little every day).

I would start looking into what parks you want to go to and make a little "pre-schedule". Since you aren't a Disney guest, I would find out what days are the least crowded for each park. Don't ever go on an Extra Magic Hour day. There are a couple books which might be worth purchasing, Birnbaums, The Unofficial Guide, and one I've just heard about "Passport", which I'm going to pick up next time I go to Barnes and Noble.

So I guess in a nutshell, I would check out some books, and then make "park day schedule". From there you know where you'll be for convenient meals.

I'm sure your grand daughter would love the character meals.

Above all, remember that she's only 5. We took my son when he was 6 and all he remembers is a duck at the campground we stayed at that was crippled and standing in the long lines. Knowing what I do now, I'd have avoided all that all together if I only had a 5 year old. I'd take my time, enjoy the characters and just "take in" the atmosphere. Get her an autograph book for characters to sign.

Spend time at Mickey's Toontown, playing on Tom Sawyer Island, have a big chocolate chip cookie at the Main Street Bakery, go to the boneyard at Animal Kingdom, the passport and Kidcot stations at Epcot, many of the rides might be just way to scary for her, so make your days easy and fun. If her heart is set on one or two of the rides at each park that are really popular, use Fastpass or get there upon opening and do those right away upon opening to avoid the lines and then spend the rest of the time just having fun.

Like I've said before, she "might" love doing a big packed schedule of things to do and rides, or maybe she'd just love a wonderful relaxing day spent with Grandma and Grandpa and those hugs from Mickey, Minnie, Cinderella and friends.

Thanks so much for all your help. Your tip/suggestions are invaluable. Looking forward to a great time with the little one!
Thanks again.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter