Help with planning one or two days during Disney trip

Brave Princess

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are planning a 10ish day WDW trip in 2021 and our kids will be 16, 14 and 3. I was looking into a day or two at Universal during the trip as the 14 yo is Harry Potter and obsessed and the 16 yo loves thrill rides. My husband has always wanted to go, but I'm much more a Disney person and thought it'd be easiest for him to take the big kids while I have down time with the little one, as there doesn't seem to be much to do with a 3 year old, but am open to joining them if the price is right.

What is the best way to do this? What are some tips to save the most money?

I am doing some price options and it just seems insanely expensive. We wouldnt be interested in Volcano Bay, so I was looking at the 2 park park-to-park tickets. One day is close to $1k for everyone while we are only spending $3k for 8 park days and resort at WDW. So I can't justify it. Is there something I'm missing?

We've never been to Universal, so any advice is much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the cost of doing 1 or 2 days at either Universal or Disney is very expensive. While three 2-day park-to-park tickets does run about $1 at Universal, so do three Seasonal Passes. So you can save $2k vs Disney and go all year to Universal (minus blockout dates).

So 2 days at the park with a deluxe Hotel for one night will run about $1300-1500 for three people, but that includes the EPs (think unlimited FP+) and walking distance to both parks. To do that at Disney would cost quite a bit more, considering the requirements for the FP+ pilot program...

Someone mentioned the Dr Seuss land. We went last spring and there were only 2 rides in Seuss area my son was tall enough for. Infact besides the Harry Potter train, 2 Seuss rides and the boat ride to and from the hotel were the only rides he could go on. HOWEVER there were a few great "play ground" like areas we could have spent all day at and the Seuss land one was not one of them.

Instead curious George play area, fievel Playland and camp Jurassic were the best.

Additionally the pool at sapphire falls was perfect for little ones. Large shallow area and life vests available. We rented a Cabana for the day... totally worth it!!!! Could have completely skipped the park that day.

I hear you, the 1 day cost is insane (D or U). We have a 6 day Disney trip coming up in April and we carved one day out to head over to Universal (mainly for HP).

Do you have CC points? More specifically, Chase Ultimate Rewards points? I was able to book a room at Royal Pacific (club level) just for the express passes. We won't even use the room overnight. We'll use the club level for breakfast and the room for an afternoon rest. It was just cheaper to do it this way vs buying the EP outright. We also used points to buy the tickets. If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you get 1.5 cents per point using the chase site to book. If you don't have the points, you have plenty of time to start working on it via sign up bonuses between now and 2021...

Our out of pocket cost for the Universal day will be just our Lyft from Disney and food (and two wands I'm sure! haha). Total cost if paid with cash was around $1600 for four people, for one day!! Ouch. If you have Express Passes, you should be able do pretty much everything in one day. However if you go the hotel route, you get EP for the arrival and departure day, so that's an amazing deal.

Last edited:

We're doing one day at Universal for six who need tickets and it's staggering how much it's going to cost. However it's cheaper to do one day now than go back in a year or two to just do Universal. I also found Universal hotels to be cheaper. We're staying at a value and it's a lot less than Pop at Disney. I also have a two year old but I'm hoping there is enough to entertain him.

I was able to book a room at Royal Pacific (club level) just for the express passes. We won't even use the room overnight.

I also found this to be true. To add the Express Pass for ONE DAY for my dates is $170. For two days, that makes $340. The cost of Royal Pacific for one night? $330 + tax, plus I also get the early entry both days.

I am, however, planning to sleep in the room. I somehow managed to end up with five hotels across ten nights. :confused3 It's either going to be an epic adventure or a reflection of all my poor life choices. Time will tell. :laughing:

We're doing one day at Universal for six who need tickets and it's staggering how much it's going to cost.

I'm researching several central Florida theme parks for my August trip. None of them are cheap, and they all seem to really like zinging you with the special add-on adventures. They also all use the model of things becoming more economical the more days you buy within their ecosystem. This doesn't lend itself well to people trying to mix and match parks in one trip, especially when you have a larger group like you do.

Discovery Cove seems amazing, but I just can't with their prices. A single day + an add-on + fees + tax = $578. For one person. For one day. It does come with entry to Sea World, however. Yay?

We have done this a lot. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is that works best for us

Do your Disney trip first and end with Universal. Universal is so much more relaxed especially if you stay on site (Hard Rock, Portofino, or Royal Pacific) to get the express passes.

Advice and opinions are just that. Everyone has them.

I just did Universal for the first time yesterday. We did the one-day park-to-park ticket and stayed one night at Royal Pacific. We had a blast and the onsite hotel was worth it for the express passes, early admission, and boat transportation. I would not, however, take a 3-year old - not much for them to do. Especially if you are not a Harry Potter person, the rest of the park (IMHO) is not that exciting. Now myself and my 2 kids (ages 10/13) are HUGE Harry fans, so we totally felt it was worth the money--we had a blast!! But I think Disney is way better for the littles, or a day at the pool relaxing.

fredandkell, we are looking a 4 people 2 adults and 2 kids 11 and 8. First timers. How did you work it.? Was your hotel night before and you went to the parks in the morning or after you were done at the park you had a room that night? Not going till OCT

fredandkell, we are looking a 4 people 2 adults and 2 kids 11 and 8. First timers. How did you work it.? Was your hotel night before and you went to the parks in the morning or after you were done at the park you had a room that night? Not going till OCT
We drove down from GA on Tuesday. Got there at 3pm. Checked into Royal Pacific, did pool and CityWalk that night. Got up at 6am, took all luggage to car (left one basket of food with hotel luggage service so it wouldn’t spoil in car), took boat to US, got there at 7:20. Gates opened 7:40, did early admission at US (specifically Diagon Alley), finished with what we wanted to do at US by 11 (rode Gringotts, Men in Black, Simpsons, ET, Woody Woodpecker, Transformers, Minions). Took Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure, ate lunch at Three Broomsticks (tasty). Did Hogsmeade spells, rode Forbidden Journey, Hippogriff, Kong, Spider-Man, Cat in Hat, Seuss Trolley. Hagrids which had been broken came back up at 4:45 so hot-footed it over there and only waited 25 minutes. Did Poseidon, ate dinner at Mythos, watched Hogwarts light show, train back to US, Gringotts again and finished with Fast and Furious. Park closed at 8 or we would have kept going. Boat back to RP, got food from lobby desk, drive one mile to 2nd hotel (free on points), asleep by 9:45. Long day but very fun and well worth the hotel switch to get the early admission and express passes. Drove home Thursday.

Also if u want to stay on property book now! Price kept rising closer to date and hotel was full 4 days before we left.

fredandkell, wow thanks for the great info on staying at RP for the night. You went over and aboard to give me all that info on rides you did and we loved it. It seems like you had very little wait times with the express unlimited passes. We have never been to US and this is greatly appreciated.
thanks Paul

Question, can I buy my tickets anywhere like UT or do I have to buy direct?

fredandkell, wow thanks for the great info on staying at RP for the night. You went over and aboard to give me all that info on rides you did and we loved it. It seems like you had very little wait times with the express unlimited passes. We have never been to US and this is greatly appreciated.
thanks Paul

Question, can I buy my tickets anywhere like UT or do I have to buy direct?
I bought my tix directly within the app. The app, by the way, is FANTASTIC. You can see your "dot" on a map, access ride wait times, order food, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter