Help with restaurant for Fantasmic package, please

AmyAnne

DIS Veteran
It's been about 5 years since our last WDW trip and I'm just starting to plan our trip for this year, which will (because of school/work schedules) be during Christmas week.

We will be on the dining plan, and the Fantasmic dining package seems like a good use of a TS credit. But if I am figuring this out correctly, the only restaurants that participate are HBD, Hollywood & Vine, and Mama Melrose's. I'm tentatively taking HBD off the list because it's 2 TS credits, and it doesn't seem like it's worth that (or paying OOP), but I am willing to be convinced that it really is worth it.

That leaves H&V and Mama Melrose's. We have been to both and found them to be okay -- neither terrible nor great. But again, it's been a while. Has either become clearly better than the other, in terms of food? (My kids are all teens/young adults, and while they wouldn't be overjoyed with the character interaction, they would go along, and I would consider it a bonus.)

One thing I have noticed from playing around on the dining reservation site is that the latest MM reservation time seems to be 3 pm. Is that maybe just because of the random dates I am trying, or is that standard?

One final question -- I have read a few references to a Pixar dining package -- is that still happening?

But if I am figuring this out correctly, the only restaurants that participate are HBD, Hollywood & Vine, and Mama Melrose's.

Accurate.

H&V will have Minnie and Friends in holiday outfits. MM is a normal TS with adequate mainstream Italian.

One thing I have noticed from playing around on the dining reservation site is that the latest MM reservation time seems to be 3 pm.

Standard. First, because dining times need to be sufficiently in advance of the show, but second, because they use the package to get people to book times that are hard for them to fill normally.

One final question -- I have read a few references to a Pixar dining package -- is that still happening?

At Disneyland. princess:

We did the Fantasmic dining package at Mama Melrose quite some time ago and wasn't impressed with the food. Since you can get a Fantasmic FP pretty easy I opted to eat somewhere more appealing to me, we selected Sci-fi and really enjoyed the food and atmosphere much more. We also booked it again for our next trip because DD21 really loved it there.

Back in 2007, I got sick from MM. Since then, I refuse to eat there - the only thing I ate that day was MM and I became sick within hours of eating there. I am not saying it was food poisoning, because that was not proven, but something about that restaurant made me ill as my stomach began hurting horribly immediately after my meal and it was all downhill from there.

My cousin took a trip to WDW in April and when she got back she told me that she got sick after eating at MM. Again, nothing proven but she ended up violently vomiting for 2 days afterwards. Because of these 2 experiences I won't step foot in that place. That's just me though.

I would vote H&V a million times. I have been to HBD and for 2 TS credits it is most definitely NOT worth it. I paid OOP when we went, and it just wasn't a very good meal. For 2 TS credits you can eat at California Grill, or Narcoossee's which are both much better options for 2 TS credits. SciFi is the best TS restaurant at HS but unfortunately it is not included in the Fantasmic package.

We are going in September and have a H&V res booked for 4pm with Fantasmic (also on DDP). Like PP mentioned, they make you eat earlier to accommodate times where most people wouldnt fill the restaurant otherwise.

Have fun!

I chose H&V. I've never been to any of the three, and like you, I couldn't justify blowing 2 TS credits for HBD. I wasn't super interested in MM. We figured that for our varied tastes, a standard Disney buffet will work.

Plus, characters.

We tried MM for dinner last fall, it was a good meal. But with kids going I'd go with HV.

H & V is the worst meal I have ever had at WDW. It is the only restaurant in all of WDW I will never return to

Really enjoyed our meals at HBD. Never had a bad meal there. Generally eat there almost evey trip to HS.
MM again enjoy it and the atmosphere. Probably a bette use of 1 TS than 2 at HBD.
H & V never tried, so no comment.

I have not eaten at Mama Melrose, but we enjoy H&V. I don't know if a teen would like it, as it is very character-centric. But my husband and I commented that the food is consistently the best of any on-site buffet, and we've been to a lot of them.

That said, 3pm is unusually early in my experience. I think it has to be 3 hours before the show time, so unless you have an unusually early show that night (i.e., 7pm) I would think that additional later reservation times would likely open up. We have gotten reservations there as late as 6pm on the Fantasmic package when the show was at 9:15, at we at least got 4:45 when the show was at 8pm. Are you going during Free Dining dates? That could account for the scarcity of reservations since it is a VERY good value for 1 credit on the dining plan.

We’ve only done it once, it was at MM.
Not sure if they are all the same, but we got to choose an appetizer and a main meal, then the dessert was the same for everyone- a sampler of I think 3 desserts.
For my entree I got the saltimbocca that our waiter recommended, and to this day I think it’s the best meal I’ve ever had!!! I would go to MM again in a heartbeat and get the saltimbocca! It came with mashed potatoes and brocolini I think... yummmm

I have not eaten at Mama Melrose, but we enjoy H&V. I don't know if a teen would like it, as it is very character-centric. But my husband and I commented that the food is consistently the best of any on-site buffet, and we've been to a lot of them.

That said, 3pm is unusually early in my experience. I think it has to be 3 hours before the show time, so unless you have an unusually early show that night (i.e., 7pm) I would think that additional later reservation times would likely open up. We have gotten reservations there as late as 6pm on the Fantasmic package when the show was at 9:15, at we at least got 4:45 when the show was at 8pm. Are you going during Free Dining dates? That could account for the scarcity of reservations since it is a VERY good value for 1 credit on the dining plan.

They use the package to fill in times that are typically not taken, so 4 PM is probably the latest dinner option. I reccomend going for lunch and then having a light dinner before the show.

We’ve only done it once, it was at MM.
Not sure if they are all the same, but we got to choose an appetizer and a main meal, then the dessert was the same for everyone- a sampler of I think 3 desserts.
For my entree I got the saltimbocca that our waiter recommended, and to this day I think it’s the best meal I’ve ever had!!! I would go to MM again in a heartbeat and get the saltimbocca! It came with mashed potatoes and brocolini I think... yummmm

They sadly recently removed the appetizer from the package.

I agree that HBD is not worth the 2 credits.

The only thing consistent about Disney restaurants is that they are inconsistent... so you will find people who hate and people who love almost every restaurant. I would just decide by what is more appealing to you. H&V is a fantastic value on the DDP because it is so expensive. Whether it is worth what you would pay for it cash is up for debate but the price is what it is and if I were going to do it (and I have) I'd do it on the DDP. I feel like Mama Melrose, if you wanted to try it some other time, is a good OOP thing because while you CAN get good value out of the package, you can also eat much more cheaply there.

I feel like foodwise they are both similar quality, they are okay but not amazing. I found plenty to eat at H&V and some stuff was better than others, but at a buffet that is going to happen. I found enough that was really good and the desserts were amazing so I had a nice meal. The character interaction is great there, I had read it before but found it to be true myself. I LOVE the seasonal costumes there, they are a lot of fun.

I love the atmosphere at MM and have always enjoyed my meals there, and I'm actually planning to hit it on my next trip as I haven't been for a while, but probably just share a meal with my son as I am a light eater.

It's been about 5 years since our last WDW trip and I'm just starting to plan our trip for this year, which will (because of school/work schedules) be during Christmas week.

We will be on the dining plan, and the Fantasmic dining package seems like a good use of a TS credit. But if I am figuring this out correctly, the only restaurants that participate are HBD, Hollywood & Vine, and Mama Melrose's. I'm tentatively taking HBD off the list because it's 2 TS credits, and it doesn't seem like it's worth that (or paying OOP), but I am willing to be convinced that it really is worth it.

That leaves H&V and Mama Melrose's. We have been to both and found them to be okay -- neither terrible nor great. But again, it's been a while. Has either become clearly better than the other, in terms of food? (My kids are all teens/young adults, and while they wouldn't be overjoyed with the character interaction, they would go along, and I would consider it a bonus.)

One thing I have noticed from playing around on the dining reservation site is that the latest MM reservation time seems to be 3 pm. Is that maybe just because of the random dates I am trying, or is that standard?

You stated that you knocked HBD off your list because it is 2 credits. Are you sure that is the same if it is a fantasmic package. Even if it's not. When we did it the only two left were MM and HBD. We decided to go with HBD. It was one of the absolute best meals we have ever had at Disney and I have been going a long time. Even if it is 2 credits I would probably go for it.

You stated that you knocked HBD off your list because it is 2 credits. Are you sure that is the same if it is a fantasmic package. Even if it's not. When we did it the only two left were MM and HBD. We decided to go with HBD. It was one of the absolute best meals we have ever had at Disney and I have been going a long time. Even if it is 2 credits I would probably go for it.

Yes HBD Fantasmic package is two credits. See below from Disney Website. Based on the posted price, it is not a very good value on the dining plan ($31.50 per credit per adult and $11 per credit per child at HBD, versus $58 per adult and $35 per child for the one-credit H&W fantasmic package), so I would not recommend HBD unless you are paying out of pocket, or on the deluxe dining plan with excess credits to use up.

The Hollywood Brown Derby
Indulge in a culinary adventure featuring impeccable American cuisine while surrounded by the glitz and glamour of Hollywood’s Golden Age!

Package Details

• Lunch/dinner – $63 adults; $22 children (plus tax and gratuity)
  • Some dining plans accepted; includes 2 Table-Service meals per package purchased
All listed package prices do not include alcohol or required park admission. Alcohol will only be served to Guests 21 and older. Advance reservations for Fantasmic! Dining Packages are highly recommended and can be made up to 180 days prior to your visit.

Yes HBD Fantasmic package is two credits. See below from Disney Website. Based on the posted price, it is not a very good value on the dining plan ($31.50 per credit per adult and $11 per credit per child at HBD, versus $58 per adult and $35 per child for the one-credit H&W fantasmic package), so I would not recommend HBD unless you are paying out of pocket, or on the deluxe dining plan with excess credits to use up.

The Hollywood Brown Derby
Indulge in a culinary adventure featuring impeccable American cuisine while surrounded by the glitz and glamour of Hollywood’s Golden Age!

Package Details

• Lunch/dinner – $63 adults; $22 children (plus tax and gratuity)
  • Some dining plans accepted; includes 2 Table-Service meals per package purchased
All listed package prices do not include alcohol or required park admission. Alcohol will only be served to Guests 21 and older. Advance reservations for Fantasmic! Dining Packages are highly recommended and can be made up to 180 days prior to your visit.

As I stated even at 2 credits it is a fabulous meal. Really was one of the best meals we have had on property. $63 is not bad for all you are getting. It includes an appetizer and desert. If it was me I wouldn't hesitate to do it. It really is authentic to old hollywood. A perfect representation for HS. I am just saying I wouldn't rule it out. Just my opinion.

As I stated even at 2 credits it is a fabulous meal. Really was one of the best meals we have had on property. $63 is not bad for all you are getting. It includes an appetizer and desert. If it was me I wouldn't hesitate to do it. It really is authentic to old hollywood. A perfect representation for HS. I am just saying I wouldn't rule it out. Just my opinion.

My math may be off on this a bit, but with H+V, you are getting $59 worth out of one credit, with HBD, you are getting $31 worth out of one credit. Multiplied by two, you are essentially throwing away an extra $56 per person to eat there. I also did the Brown Derby Fantasmic package and liked it, but I paid out of pocket.
I'm pretty sure that 100% of the time you are spending 2 credits on a meal, you are automatically losing a significant amount of money by using the dining plan.

As you can see your choices are limited, I can't stand H&V and after a disastrous lunch about 10 days ago at Mama's I can't really recommend it either. In our case the food was average to one person in eight calling it very good but when we got done trying to find the waitress for our Fantasmic voucher was impossible. If we had not decided at the meal to not go I would have raised a stink. My girls have removed Mama's from any consideration for our 2021 trip. And as others have said you can only get a lunch reservation for Fantasmic at MM's. I wish you good luck. Oh yes if you go the Mama's route the one person who loved her food got the steak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter