Help with totally last minute trip!

jdecks80

Earning My Ears
Some background, we just found out that we may be able to squeeze in a trip to Disney World starting 8/28. We have a 3 year old and a 7 year old and will be driving from New York to Orlando (about a 19 hour trip) and none of us have ever been to Disney before!

Questions:

1) I have some old, unused tickets that I was gifted as a child. When I redeem them at the gate, will we then be able to use the in park fast pass system? I know a lot of popular attractions will be unavailable, but I still think it would be useful to be able to plan out a few of the rides we want. Wasn't sure how it would work not having purchased tickets electronically ahead of time.

2) Same thing with the extended magic hours...we are staying on site, but I'm not sure how we can get our paper tickets linked up to our hotel room.

3) I've read through a lot of threads here, but is there anything I should know about going last minute with minimal planning? Any tips or tricks?

I am usually a type-A, plan everything in advance kind of person, so I'm trying to do my best to just go with the flow for this trip while still trying to at least make a few, solid plan!!

Thank you everyone!!

:welcome:

Yes, you can use fast pass (aka FP+) system. You will be surprised how many of the popular rides that you'll be able to get a FP+ with short notice. There are only 3 or 4 rides in all of WDW that I can think of where you may struggle to get a FP+ with short notice.

I would highly recommend buying the tickets for the rest of the family now and linking them to your MDE (My Disney Experience) app. I'd guess there's some way to link your old paper ticket too...but I don't know that part...hopefully someone else can help. Once your tickets are linked to MDE, you can start making your FP+ reservations right now (I'm not sure if you can do them if just a hotel stay is booked). This will be a big help to you, so that you've already got some rides booked before you even arrive. Read through the FP+ FAQ section and then ask any questions you have. If you really understand how it all works, you can get on endless attractions with minimal wait, including the popular ones.

Tips...well, first, I'd suggest making sure your group is prepared for a lot of walking. If you've never been, words can't describe how big the place is. It's massive, huge, gigantic. Don't kill yourself trying to run around and see it all. You can't. Pace yourself and enjoy what you see. It's going to be crowded...it always is. Have the right attitude to deal with that. Soak in the atmosphere, it's awesome and there's nothing like it.

Thank you for the advice, Klayfish! I should clarify that I have enough old tickets for my entire family, so I don't need to purchase anything else.

We did a last minute trip (like we didn't know we were going up to two days before) this last april and we were able to score lots of FP on our way to Orlando but also while we were in the Parks.

Of course, some experiences will be very hard to have (Frozen, Mine Train, etc.), but most of the attractions and characters meets-and-greets should be available. My best advice is to try and try again while in the Park. For example, we were able to score FP for Splash Mountain on the same day, at 6PM, but after a few modifications, we had it for like 5 minutes later :)

Have fun!

We booked our trip (28-1st) yesterday! Lol! glad to know i'm not the only last minute customer haha!

In some ways, I'm finding doing this all last minute to be easier because I am letting go of all my expectations!! I hope you have a great time too!!

Most important when you don't have FPs is to arrive at least 30 minutes before the park opens. The first hour or two you will be able to accomplish the most. Rest or see shows in the afternoon and return to the rides after dinner. Again the last couple of hours before park close are lower wait times. You can usually get in line for a ride just before park close and they will let everyone in line ride. So you may want to use either the first or last ride strategy for some of those you aren't able to get FPs for.

Most important when you don't have FPs is to arrive at least 30 minutes before the park opens. The first hour or two you will be able to accomplish the most. Rest or see shows in the afternoon and return to the rides after dinner. Again the last couple of hours before park close are lower wait times. You can usually get in line for a ride just before park close and they will let everyone in line ride. So you may want to use either the first or last ride strategy for some of those you aren't able to get FPs for.

Oh, this is super helpful information. My kids usually meltdown in the afternoon but are fine running around all night long, so this may be our go to tactic!

Exciting! I love spur of the moment trips! I would definitely take advantage of rider swap as well. So your DH gets a FP and then asks for rider swap pass. He comes out and you ride. Makes life a lot easier and you may get some FP that you wouldn't get if you tried to get your entire party. As far as last minute tips, just repeat "anything we forget we can buy when we're there." Yeah, you may pay a bit more, but there's nothing you can't get down there. That mantra saves me so much stress! Enjoy your trip!

I am thinking you will probably need to go guest services before you attempt to enter the park. I doubt the tickets you have are able to be linked to MDE. Once they update your tickets, have guest services link them to the magic bands you will receive from being a resort guest. From there, pick out your tickets for the rest of your visit, and enjoy!

As a resort guest, you will find that guest services can help with all the last minute details, some of which you probably haven't even thought of. They have the ability to get you last minute reservations for restaurants, FP, and others. Have a safe drive, and an incredible first trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter