Help! Your advise on electronic toys for intellectually disabled son

slcmom

Mouseketeer
Hi, everybody. I need to pick your brains, please. I want to find a 'video game' type thing for my low end son with Down syndrome. His IQ is below 45. But he watches his brothers play and longs to join in. Plus, now that he is 15 he craves everything that the bigger boys do; and there is so much that he'll never do (driving, dating, college, etc.).

His therapist also thinks that his becoming more adept manually would be to his advantage, as he might eventually be able to communicate using electronic means as a support (his language is pretty unintelligible.).

So. One concern I have is that most electronic stuff for kids seems to be geared to learning. I'm more concerned that he have fun.

Have you any experience with LeapPad? My brother says that they are developing stuff that Jack-in-the-Box uses to help teach English to adult foreign speakers.

My older boys say that VTech is pretty complicated in its set-up and they don't think Tom could master it. I see in the Toys-R-Us catalog that they have something called a VTech Nitro Notebook which appears to look very like a real laptop computer. That would really please Tom - he loves to pretend to use mine.

He tries to use a computer, but hasn't mastered the mouse. Unless someone is sitting with him to help him manuver it, he can't succeed. I wish I had a touch-screen. Maybe that would be the solution?

I know that there are games for the Sony Play Station (I think) that are called something with 'I' in the title, and have a camera that shows the kid following the instructions. Has anyone used that? It sounds like a good fit.

To continue my whine: Tom gets so bored now between school and bedtime. I am a fulltime caregiver for my husband who has dementia, and the 2 of them don't get along real well (my husband can be aggressive). Someone (me) has to be in the room with my husband constantly, so Tom ends up by himself with a tv for a lot of time. He has lots of brothers, but they work and go to school, and don't spend much time with him. He loves it when they are at the house with their friends playing video games.

I intend to tell them (3 of them) that they must each commit to 1 2-3 hour block with Tom each week, doing something active; bowling, hiking, sledding, etc. It will be hard to enforce, but I'll do it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Either about electronic toys or boredom?

Thanks for your help. I learn a whole lot from following this forum.

I'll be very interested in any answers you receive as well. Our second son has DS and is 23. He used to love the earlier Nintendo games but now the systems and games are so complex.

One very good thing happened for our son in high school though. We enrolled him in at least one regular ed art class each semester. Some worked out better than others but the drawing classes were his favorite. He now absolutely loves to draw. It keeps him busy on planes, in restuarants and he even draws as he watches TV. Like your son, his speech is pretty much unintelligible but this gives us something to talk with him about as he draws what he sees in his surroundings. This was truly a gift for our son.

Thanks for asking your question. I'll be eagerly watching for replies as well.

My son is 21 w/DS and considered moderate to severe. Severe speech impairment. When his brother got his first system (Super Nintendo) he wanted to play so bad. He locked himself in a room with it for months until he was good, and then he opened the door. :cool1: He loves to play video games and we now have N64, PS1, PS2, Xbox. Now he can't play lots of the games but there are quite a few he can play.....I'll ask his brother which are the easiest.

Music he has to have with him always and carrying the cd player/cds was getting old. iPod Shuffle was the answer. He couldn't use all the other mp3 players, too complicated (I can't even use them) but this one is on/volume up and down/skip. Easier than a cd player. Been wonderful and with the lanyard he just wears around his neck.

I know you said he needs help with mouse, but maybe with a little practice, maybe with his brothers. Look for any of the Living Books or Disney Interactive books. They read the story to him but he can also make things do stuff on each page just by clicking them. Very simple. If you can get him more fluent on computer it will be worth it. My son has his own computer in his room and he could spend hours with his programs and being productive.

Since he is still within the school system, talk to your school about having an Assisted Technology Evaluation. There are systems and adaptions to existing systems that they make that many of the kids can utilize, just not something we see in the stores. They may also be able to direct you to an agency or source that will pay for it.

My son also loves read-a-long books on cd. Disney has quite a few and there are Batman, Starwars etc.

Mine is also a painter, hours at it. I give him a canvas, set up a still life or photo, lightly pencil trace outlines, put paint on plate and he paints. Great therapy for him. Peaceful.

Some of the LeapPads look pretty basic. I would go to the store and try some of them. He had something similar to that when he was younger and it was amazing to me how quickly he was able to pick up on how to use it.

Check this out http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-9503520-2387005 GO GO TV VIDEO VISION, says it is geared for younger and sounds pretty basic.

Not to encourage gambling, but my son loves slot machines. My IL have one and he loves to play it, insert coin, push button and pull handle. Gets instant fun from it. He doesn't understand what it means, but when the coins fall out he knows he won.

Look at PLUG N PLAY games. Walmart carries and I have seen around. One game built into a joy stick you plug into TV. Looks very simple to plug in and operate and they are cheaper than video games.

Will keep thinking.........certainly understand your position.

WWW.fatwallet.com had a link to "Graveyard mall" with Leap pads for ~15 dollars. There are a lot of books listed at www.leapfrog.com from mazes to geography to music. It wouldn't look adult but he would be able to do it himself probably. Each book except the starter book comes with a cartridge. As each page is turned the user has to touch a green go circle so that it works properly for that page. A pen is used to touch words or pictures so it is easier to use than a mouse.
A mouse can be hard to use because the direction can vary with the orientation of the mouse. Maybe a optical trackball might work better.
Ds has the Play station II with the "eyetoy". The eyetoy comes with games such as waving your arms and the arm movements "wash" the windows. More fun with people though as everybody laughs at everyone else.
The Play station also has a game with a dance mat called "dance,dance,revolution" where people try to move on the dance mat as indicated by footprints on the tv screen.

The art lessons sound great.

Good luck!

What about an MP3 player like all the other young adults have? Would he enjoy listening to audiobooks that can be downloaded like music?

Or a musical instrument with lessons on tape that he can practice along with the tape.

My niece has severe CP, is 9 yrs old and LOVESSSSS to play computer games. She has a special large button that she can press to play her games. There are specially adapted games for folks who need them - maybe talk to your child's therapist about them. There are specific games available for specific "ages" and will enable the player to play successfully;o)

Hi there! My DS has CP with severe motor delay and developmental issues. He would also love to play all the games that his peers do and it is something we have really struggled with.

He can use an adapted joystick (made by a company called Penny Giles) to play some games, but speed is a big issue with many games for him.

I have recently hear of a company here in the UK called Liberator who market a new product which adapts a Playstation controller for kids with motor difficulties.

Our DS enjoys the Sims, Living Books and a shareware game called Snood.
He also enjoys using the PC to paint (with MS paint and the joystick).

He is now using a Dynavox voca which gives him mouse emulation to do simple word processing and web surfing. Amazing stuff for a kid who uses switch access.

Good luck in finding suitable things. Let us know how you get along.

Hi there! My son is just about 10 years old (DS), and he loves his LeapPad. The LeapPad works with a stylus and all your son would have to do is point with the stylus on the page. The books will read to him, or he can play a game within the book, some have songs. He'll be able to explore each page just by pointing.

There are some CD-rom's that are geared for beginning computer users. You simply have the mouse in the general area of what you want to do and there is no clicking involved. The program that we initially used was a Jumpstart program, but I can't remember the name.

Also, for a video game, one of the easiest games out there is the Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour for PlayStation. I believe there are only two controls involved to do a race, with more control options if you want to set traps for your opponent, but with the two controls, he'll be able to race and drive Disney characters through Disney World.

One other option that we've used are follow-along books on tape. They come with cassette/dvd and a book where you turn the page when you hear the beep.

I thought of a few more based on what family members like...

An electric train (my father loves running his and the controls are easy for my son to use, also!).

An electric race car track.

A remote control car.

Hi! I have been looking at those V-Smile video games for my son (almost 5 with Down syndrome). I have decided he is still a bit young to play them, but maybe your son would be able to do it. It lists it as ages 3-7 and is supposed to be fun while learning.

I have also been looking at something called "Read with me DVD" that is a book on the tv, but there are buttons the child has to push for the story. I haven't seen one in person yet to decide if my son would be able to play with it.

Sandra

SandrainNC said:
Hi! I have been looking at those V-Smile video games for my son (almost 5 with Down syndrome). I have decided he is still a bit young to play them, but maybe your son would be able to do it. It lists it as ages 3-7 and is supposed to be fun while learning.

Sandra

I was looking at this and fell the same way!!! My dd is 5 almost 6! and has cp. It looks great, but I worry she may be overwhelmed? She LOVES the computer, and her vision teacher at school suggested a special keyboard that comes with software but it does seem to be more educational, rather than video games. I beleive it was from abilitations.

Here's a link to Abilitations that one poster mentioned.

I second the people who suggested asking the school people for help - including an Assistive Technology evaluation. Something as simple as a trackball or a trackpad may allow him to use the computer. There are also software solutions that allow someone to use a mouse, joystick or trackball to get the cursor to the place it needs to be and then if you stay there (dwell) the computer interprets that as a mouse click.

My DD has a touchscreen tablet computer for talking. Not all games work with it and it's not easy to drag on a touchscreen. My DD is not able to do that and even I have some problems - you tend to "lose" the curser as you drag. So even though touchscreens sound good, they are kind of limited in use.

My DD has a
Leapster , which has a lot of educational games, but some are characters like Spongebob Squarepants, the Incredibles, Spiderman, Nemo. They are educational, but fun at the same time.
Here's a link to a page that shows the games.

Here are some games you plug into the TV and then use the joystick on the game to control it (these are some of the PLUG N PLAY games that were mentioned):
1980s type arcade games
Disney game
Target has a lot more games in their store than I could find on their website. The games are available in a lot of shops, I've seen them in places like Kohls, Target, WalMart, Linens and Things.

For the computer, here are some sites that have free downloads or free trials so you can try the game out and see if your DS would like/could do them. Some games work well with switches. Some of the games (especially the arcade type games just require you to position the mouse and the active game piece bounces off of that.
Big Fish Games (they seem to be all Windows - no good for me as a Mac household)

Big Bang Board Games has Mac and Windows games.

Yahoo games has a lot of variety of games.

loadsapixiedust said:
Amazing stuff for a kid who uses switch access.

Good luck in finding suitable things. Let us know how you get along.
If you want to see something truely amazing with people using switch access, look at the videos on
this website.
They are not speeded up - they are real-time videos of people who are pretty high cognitive level, but very impaired on motor skills. The guys playing video games are playing regular games (not switch access games) so fast that I can't follow what they are doing. They are using switches of various types and the SwitchX software to control the computer and access all the regular programs on the computer. All the graphics on the page were designed by a man (Giesbert) who is a quadraplegic and uses SwitchX and a Mac to work.

SOunds like you're dealing with a lot! :grouphug:

I wish I lived closer because you could borrow some of my son's games to try out. He just turned 5, and I know it's not the same at all, but we have some of the things mentioned
-leapster (he's been using for 11 months)
-leapad (just got from a yardsale!)
-My first leap pad (similar concept, probably better to just try a regular leappad)
-a few plug n play games (TONS of these at target. DS likes pac man & dig dug)

The leapster is fun, but sometimes frustrating for my son if the cartridge is too advanced for him. The Incredibles cartridge has adding, parts of speech and spelling that he just can't do.

We just got the vtech vsmile system ($70 at sams club with 2 joysticks and 2 games, plus the AC adapter). They have all kinds of smartridges - scooby doo, spiderman, sponge bob. I'm hoping DD 2 will be able to play a little as well.

Anyway, sounds like you're getting good advice here from DISers in the know, but it might be worth finding a family with preschoolers to see if you can test out some of their games! :)

SueM in MN said:
If you want to see something truely amazing with people using switch access, look at the videos on
this website.
Very cool, Sue! The World of Warcraft one especially amazes me, because I've seen people play it using a regular keyboard/mouse (??) and that looked hard enough!

BCV23 said:
I'll be very interested in any answers you receive as well. Our second son has DS and is 23. He used to love the earlier Nintendo games but now the systems and games are so complex.

One very good thing happened for our son in high school though. We enrolled him in at least one regular ed art class each semester. Some worked out better than others but the drawing classes were his favorite. He now absolutely loves to draw. It keeps him busy on planes, in restuarants and he even draws as he watches TV. Like your son, his speech is pretty much unintelligible but this gives us something to talk with him about as he draws what he sees in his surroundings. This was truly a gift for our son.

Thanks for asking your question. I'll be eagerly watching for replies as well.

You can still get those old style games and systems. You can also purchase the authentic old style games like Nintendo at gamestop and Electronic Boutique.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=322166

slcmom said:
Hi, everybody. I need to pick your brains, please. I want to find a 'video game' type thing for my low end son with Down syndrome. His IQ is below 45. But he watches his brothers play and longs to join in. Plus, now that he is 15 he craves everything that the bigger boys do; and there is so much that he'll never do (driving, dating, college, etc.).

He tries to use a computer, but hasn't mastered the mouse. Unless someone is sitting with him to help him manuver it, he can't succeed. I wish I had a touch-screen. Maybe that would be the solution?

To continue my whine: Tom gets so bored now between school and bedtime. I am a fulltime caregiver for my husband who has dementia, and the 2 of them don't get along real well (my husband can be aggressive). Someone (me) has to be in the room with my husband constantly, so Tom ends up by himself with a tv for a lot of time. He has lots of brothers, but they work and go to school, and don't spend much time with him. He loves it when they are at the house with their friends playing video games.

I intend to tell them (3 of them) that they must each commit to 1 2-3 hour block with Tom each week, doing something active; bowling, hiking, sledding, etc. It will be hard to enforce, but I'll do it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Either about electronic toys or boredom?

Thanks for your help. I learn a whole lot from following this forum.

I don't have a lot of advice for you, but I can offer a hand of support or a shoulder to cry on. My DS10 is severely/profoundly mentally handicapped and isn't nearly as together as your son( which is sometimes a blessing, you know?) My DH is also disabled with lung disease so the phyical work falls to me, but he is still able to do a lot of parenting. I also have a DS19 & DD12 still at home. It makes me feel kinda sad to have to constantly ask my kids to help me, but really, there is not much choice. I simply can't do it all.

My one suggestion is to involve your big boys. I think your idea of assigning them shifts is a good one. If they can drive, even better. Let them take him to the store or bowling or just kicking a ball around. Do you think there are any friends at church who would help you out once month or more? I"m thinking, even just to go to their house for a hour would be a great treat to him. You need some help.You've got all you can handle there.

Are you able to get any assistance with your DH so you can get a break? Does your DS get to go to respite sometimes? If you havent used respite before, now would be a great time to start. He will soon be old enough to live apart from the family( scary thought, I know) and it may take awhile for him to get used to that idea.

Oh, about the computer issues--get your school systems special ed computer technology person to help you with this. There are other kinds of Mouses that are easy to use. My DS can barely feed himself, but you should see him go on his adapted computer :banana:

I can't say i have any experience with DS, but perhaps some of my observations working w/ very young children will be of some help. As odd as it sounds considering how much trouble adults have with it, young kids seem to be able to handle touchpads ALOT sooner then they can master the coordination involved in using a mouse.

My other piece of advice is www.sesamestreet.com and the elmo keyboard-o-rama game. The game only asks that the individual press a key on the keyboard that elmo then reacts to. The visuals and sounds keep folks interested and its a great way to teach that you need to press keys softly and the like.

Perhaps have him try some of the bongo games for the Gamecube. Jungle beat at a basic level can be played just by tapping the bongo. May take a little bit of time to master, but atleast the physical coordination wouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter