• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hershey Pa. - Gettysburg

Rebecca P.

Mouseketeer
I know this is totally off topic but I'm hoping someone can help me.

We drove to Williamsburg last summer and loved it and are hoping to go again at the end of summer. (We are going camping at Killbear first, getting that reservation was such a HUGE aggravation that they are going whether they like it or not!)

I'm wondering if anyone has done Heshey or Gettysburg and could give me some ideas. The kids with us will be 12 and almost 16 . We have talked about the Paramount theme park near Richmond on the way home or Busch Gardens again. I'd like to take them to Washington since there are some amazing deals on hotels but my husband is really nervous about driving into the city. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rebecca

We were in Lancaster,PA in early July. It is 35minutes from Hershey. The weather was great and the crowds were really low for summer. The hotel staff told us that business was down by 40%. Shopping was also really good. We toured the Amish Farm,
and the Bird in Hand Amish Market. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them.

:D

Next Thursday we're heading down. Going down via Pittsburgh way and stopping at Rocky Gap (in Cumberland, Maryland -- 2 hours east of Pittsburgh) for two days to golf. Continuing on to our timeshare at the Fairfield Kingsgate until Friday and will spend the week doing Williamsburg and WaterCountry, and one day at Paramount King's Dominion (just North of Richmond). Then on Friday we are heading up to Hershey for two days (had a really hard time getting that reservation) and then heading back home to Oakville, via Rochester way. We are avoiding Washington like the plague, won't even drive near it because of all the traffic nightmares I have heard about.

Dorney Park, near Allentown, is supposed to be very good. It is a Cedar Fair park which means it is run by the same folks that run Cedar Point and Knotts Berry Farm and Camp Snoopy. There's also a very good Six Flags park just north of Baltimore. Kennywood, in Pittsburgh, is supposed to be quite good as well.

We just got home from Gettysburg. My suggestion is to plan at least an entire day to see the battlefields and monuments. We had only planned on about 2 hours and ended up spending probably 4-5 hours looking around and wished we could have had more time. We stopped on the way home from Baltimore and hadn't planned anything. There appears to be lots of hotels, restaurants and shops. Hope this helps even a little.

Hi Rebecca,

We went to Hershey in March for a quick get away before the new baby arrived. HersheyPark would likely keep the 12 and 16 year old entertained. There's reasonably good (not great) outlet shopping (try www.theoutletsathershey.com) in Hershey and Lancaster (better).

You may want to try these links:

www.800padutch.com/

http://pavisnet.com/dauphin/

www.hersheypa.com/

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Hershey (http://www1.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=PA107) for $37/night through Priceline. About 5 minutes from Hershey Park and a great deal for the $.

OT: Hey Nepean! You'll have to change your ID to "ID formerly known as Nepean"! As a resident of the former city of Nepean, now Ottawa, I just go by a hieroglyphic symbol, like "Prince"!

Originally posted by Rebecca P.
Thanks for all the great information.

Damo, are you staying in Hershey or in Harrisburg?

We're staying in Hershey at the Comfort Inn at the Park. I'm going to keep phoning to see if we can get a room at the Hershey Lodge but right now they are booked solid, as is the Hotel Hershey ( a little tooooooooo expensive). The Comfort Inn is $200/night so I figure we should try to do the Lodge instead at the same price and get the hour early entry. Hopefully, there will be a cancellation.

Think that you would really enjoy Hershey Park versus Dorney Park..we live two hours away from Hershey and one hour from Dorney and the atmosphere at Hershey is 100% better plus you can go to Chocolate World where I heard that they have a new 3D movie..outlet shopping at Hershey is not too terrific but Rockvale Square in Lancaster is really good shopping...plus we do not have any taxes on clothes or shoes. You may want to check out the AAA book or internet for hotel in Mechanicsburg, PA or Harrisburg..practically right next door to Hershey but shouldn't cost quite as much...I have books on Lancaster that I would be happy to send to you. Gettysburg is actually on Route 15 and 30 and is also a nice experience..you can also do the Eisenhower farm and walking around the old town of Gettysburg is great. This is a day trip for us! I don't have a current tourbook at home (it is at work) but will look tomorrow and try to find you other locations than Hershey itself whose hotels tend to gouge the pocketbook. Also in Gettysburg, they have the Boyds Bear Farm.

Hi Fiona...cdnmickeylover...you never know what thread I am going to show up on!! So glad to have met Jim and you in Baltimore and look forward to our 10/11 cruise.

If you would like me to research anything else for you, just email me. Mary Jo

Got carried away on my last thread but regarding Washington, DC, we always stay in College Park, Maryland and take the hotel shuttle to the metro station and buy the weekend $5.00/all day ticket and head to Washington....we never stay in the city itself. The metro is so easy to use and so clean..I am never afraid to use it and everyone is so helpful...so unlike the NY subway system!! Happy Travels!!

Enjoy Williamsburg...we try to go down at least once or twice a year!! Love it there!!

Hi Mary Jo -- you did say that you sometimes popped over to the Cdn board. Great meeting you in Baltimore. If I've known we were going to stop in Gettysburg I should have asked you about it but it was a spur of the moment thing. We do want to go back though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter