HHI or DCL?

Lisavince3

Mouseketeer
Hi, We have been DVC members for 7 years. Thanks to DVC, we've gone to WDW 6 times and done 2 cruises (Wonder-2008 and Dream-2013). We have 3 DD ages 10, 8 and 5. Last month we combined a short WDW visit with the Dream. WDW was great, but the Dream was absolutely wonderful. We felt that the cruise gave us everything we love about Disney without the hurried pace in which we typically do WDW. We are now trying to plan a trip for the first week of June 2014. My DH is ready for a break from WDW, and we all loved the cruise. However, I know DCL can be very pricey in the summer, so I started thinking HHI might be a good alternative. We've never been there, but it looks like we could still experience a relaxed atmosphere, have plenty of beach time, activities for the kids, and the Disney service and attention to detail that we love. Any thoughts from people who have done both? Anything I need to consider before making our decision? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Have never done dcl but have our first scheduled in April & can't wait.
Did Hilton Head last year and it was wonderful! Very relaxing - campfire was a blast for both adults & kids.... My dd still sings some of the songs! Whatever you decide it will be great as nobody does it like Disney!

We have been to HH and done a Disney cruise (on the Magic) and enjoyed both...but the cruise was our very best vacation ever. Though it was on the Magic and with my inlaws who recently went on the Dream and hated that. They loved the Magic cruise too but hated the Dream cruise (too crowded and they couldn't get the ship into Castaway Cay and had to skip it). HH is nice and relaxing. The resort is not on the beach and you have to take a shuttle to the beach...that was a bit of a pain. We had our car and tried to drive over ourselves but the parking lot is super small and fills up by about 10am. But we enjoyed it enough to add on points there...we hope to go for a 2nd visit next summer.

Hi, We have been DVC members for 7 years. Thanks to DVC, we've gone to WDW 6 times and done 2 cruises (Wonder-2008 and Dream-2013). We have 3 DD ages 10, 8 and 5. Last month we combined a short WDW visit with the Dream. WDW was great, but the Dream was absolutely wonderful. We felt that the cruise gave us everything we love about Disney without the hurried pace in which we typically do WDW. We are now trying to plan a trip for the first week of June 2014. My DH is ready for a break from WDW, and we all loved the cruise. However, I know DCL can be very pricey in the summer, so I started thinking HHI might be a good alternative. We've never been there, but it looks like we could still experience a relaxed atmosphere, have plenty of beach time, activities for the kids, and the Disney service and attention to detail that we love. Any thoughts from people who have done both? Anything I need to consider before making our decision? Thanks in advance for any advice!
HHI would be a great alternative to DCL. Of the two, I prefer cruising, but HHI does offer that relaxed atmosphere you and your DH desire while still being a little bit Disney. There are excursions, campfires, pools, and (of course) the beach. The shuttle is convenient (I believe it runs approximately every 15 minutes), or you can walk or bike there though that would depend on how well your kids would tolerate such attempts (it's about a mile one way as I recall). There are shops galore near the resorts, as well as restaurants, coffee shops, and grocery stores. HHI would be a change of pace but one you and your family might really enjoy. Have fun deciding!

We visited HHI for the first time last year and love it.....we have been on two Disney cruises and loved the Magic ......and had an okay time on the Dream...funny.....same as your family. Our ok time was due to Hurricane Irene.

With that said....I love DCL.....but what a wonderful change at HHI....go you will not be disappointed.

HHI had made me realize what it would be like own a time share in a beach area....could I go back every year....I think I could!

We meet a family who had come every year for 2 weeks for the past 12 years....:cloud9:

Our DGC were 7,8 and 9 when we spent 6 nights this past 4th of July time frame at HHI. It was a wonderful vacation. They went kayaking, boarding, bike riding, and sightseeing. We spent many hours at the pool, beach, and at the various activities the resort offered. I think they made Flubber, something that's also done on DCL cruises.

My reservations about what to recommend for you would be "could you get in" at 7 months for June?

We own HHI points, and 2014 will be when our extended family goes there again!

We are addicted DCL cruisers, love going to WDW, and have been to both Vero Beach (once) and Hilton Head (twice). We were at Hilton Head in March for spring break both times and it rained most of the time - but I have to tell you that it was the most relaxing time we'd had in a long time - the villas are comfortable, the pace is slow, sitting out on the porch in the rocking chairs - wonderful!

June will be hot but should be great for beach time weather-wise. As other said, they have a shuttle that takes you over and back and it's no more of a bother than taking a bus at WDW to the water parks. The beach house area is nice - they serve food and have a nice pool that they do pool activities at (similar to what they do at the resorts), and the beach is wide. You can rent chairs and such on the beach, too.

The resort is set up so that you're never far from the pool, counter-service food, and store. The main lobby building is a nice place to hang out and they have activities up there, too - be sure to go for some of the story-telling and magic tricks.

DH won't cruise out of Florida in the summer - he says it's too hot, too many people, so all our summer cruises are to other places. We are actually using our DVC points for a Med cruise this summer (first time using DVC points for a cruise).

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think we will try HHI, assuming there is availability! I was hoping the first week of June might be easier to get in than later in the month. We'll see! Thanks again!

We have done 4 DCL cruises and have made 1 trip to HHI. Nothing beats a DCL!!! We did the HHI trip in 2010 (the year before we did the Med cruise) to save money...wanted a driving vacation to save money over buying airfare and wanted a break from buying $$$ AP's. It had been a long time since we'd just had a simple beach week vacation. HHI is quite nice...the beach is lovely and wide....but NO waves. We went in August and it was HOT (lots of jellyfish when the water temps get hot). It was a nice break for us from the parks but it was almost TOO quiet. We had 2 days of pouring down rain to start our week and didn't find much of anything to do for those 2 days. We may have liked the action at Myrtle Beach a little more and would have preferred to have been staying somewhere ON the beach. But considering that we paid for it with points it was exactly the kind of "cheap" vacation we needed that year. We'll probably go back again sometime when we need to be a little frugal but we aren't ready to plan it again any time soon. I think it's always worth trying at least once!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter