Hike to Pulpit Rock

MarleneP

Mouseketeer
For those of you that have done this, how strenuous is it? I know to wear hiking boots and the terrain is uneven and rocky. I'm in OK shape but not an avid hiker. Any input is appreciated!

For those of you that have done this, how strenuous is it? I know to wear hiking boots and the terrain is uneven and rocky. I'm in OK shape but not an avid hiker. Any input is appreciated!

My brother and nephew have done this hike from a cruise. Allow about 2 hours each way from Stavanger to Preikestolen, there are both ferries and buses that run the route. I want to say it was about $150 round trip for the two of them, using the ferry. He said the trip was not too rigorous for them but they are both avid hikers, and they spent about 4 hours on the trail. He also said it was very crowded on the trail and not really a peaceful mountain hike.

I did it with my husband and two daughters ( who were 13 and 11) from the Disney Cruise in 2016. The first and last sections are quite steep but the total elevation gain is actually not too bad. If you are in OK shape you will be absolutely fine. We were up and down in 3 and a half hours with a break of around 20 mins at the top. I should add that we are regular hikers and normally manage hikes a lot quicker than the suggested times. For Pulpit Rock I think it’s recommended 5 hours up and down. We did this trip on our own rather than with DCL and saved $$$, we also made it back to the ship for lunch in Cabanas! You definitely need hiking boots as it is rocky in parts and can be slippy if it’s wet. We got to the top just before the rain set in so got the amazing view of the fjord but honestly if it’s really wet there is no point as you will see nothing from up there. We passed the DCL excursion on its way up as we were coming back down and I was so thankful that we had made the call to diy. This hike was on our bucket list and it would be amazing on a clear day. We also hiked up Sukkertoppen in Alesund, which I actually enjoyed more. There were 360 views of all the surrounding islands. For that one it’s an easy hour to the top and there were only locals on the trail.

We also hiked up Sukkertoppen in Alesund, which I actually enjoyed more. There were 360 views of all the surrounding islands. For that one it’s an easy hour to the top and there were only locals on the trail.
Can you tell me how you got to the hike in Alesund? Our family may be interested in that next summer.

We got the local bus think it was number 618 and got off at Hella School. It’s about 10 mins drive from the centre of Alesund. Once you get off the bus, cross the road and you will see a small path. it was actually pretty easy to find. We went back to the ship for lunch and then explored the town in the afternoon.

I wimped out and I'm not going to do it. A friend of mine went (who is in decent shape, but certainly not a hiker). She (and others in her group) didn't make it to the top. Apparently once they reached a certain time, the guides told them they wouldn't make it, so they just waited for the group that had gone up ahead to come back and meet them.

I did it with my husband and two daughters ( who were 13 and 11) from the Disney Cruise in 2016. The first and last sections are quite steep but the total elevation gain is actually not too bad. If you are in OK shape you will be absolutely fine. We were up and down in 3 and a half hours with a break of around 20 mins at the top. I should add that we are regular hikers and normally manage hikes a lot quicker than the suggested times. For Pulpit Rock I think it’s recommended 5 hours up and down. We did this trip on our own rather than with DCL and saved $$$, we also made it back to the ship for lunch in Cabanas! You definitely need hiking boots as it is rocky in parts and can be slippy if it’s wet. We got to the top just before the rain set in so got the amazing view of the fjord but honestly if it’s really wet there is no point as you will see nothing from up there. We passed the DCL excursion on its way up as we were coming back down and I was so thankful that we had made the call to diy. This hike was on our bucket list and it would be amazing on a clear day. We also hiked up Sukkertoppen in Alesund, which I actually enjoyed more. There were 360 views of all the surrounding islands. For that one it’s an easy hour to the top and there were only locals on the trail.

Hello. We're cruising on the Magic in August 2019 and would like to hike to Pulpit Rock on our own as you did -- disembarking as early as possible to try to get ahead of the crowds. Would appreciate any info and tips for accomplishing this. Thanks.

This hike is totally doable on your own. Check out timetables at tide.no/fjords. Some tips:
~Have a good breakfast to set you up for hike, it could be a while before you eat lunch.
~Be lining up ready to disembark at 7.45 (I'm assuming all ashore and all aboard times are the same as we had)
~Try to get to ferry port as quick as possible. We used google maps and walked quickly/ran so we made first ferry of the day at 8.00. This gets you to pulpit rock at 9am. If you get the next ferry at 8.40 this would be fine too.
~No need to buy tickets in advance. Make the call on the day depending on weather. There is no point in doing this hike if it's really wet, as you will get no view from the top. Agents are standing selling tickets at the ferry terminal and you can pay with credit card.
~Make sure you buy from Tide. There is another company but buses aren't as frequent.
~Try to be off ferry first at Tau so you get a seat on the bus, you don't want to waste time having to wait on the next one. The bus was waiting when we got off.
~ Wear proper hiking boots. It is very slippy and rocky in parts and I saw a few falls on the trail. I also recommend layers as you will work up a bit of a sweat.
~There is an info board at start of trail, take a picture on your phone just in case. You can't get lost on this trail, there are too many people around.
~Go for it on way up if you can. We were slower than expected on the way down as by then the trail got really busy.
~Take a hat, it's really windy at the top!
~ The last bus you can get to be back before all aboard time is 14.30. If you miss this there is still a later ferry you could get at Tau but you would need a taxi to get you to the ferry. Have a taxi phone number just in case. We were actually back down in time for 12.30 bus. 5 hours is plenty time up and down if you are in okay shape. We did it in just over 3.
~Enjoy the ferry and bus ride. It is very scenic.

As others have mentioned, you will not have this trail to yourself. I aim to go back to Norway at some point, stay in the area and hike up really early to avoid the crowds. Hope these details help. It does seem like a lot of stress but totally worth it to do something on your travel bucket list!

Another option - particularly if you have a family or group and you like doing things DIY - is to rent a car from Stavanger, take it on the Tau ferry, park at the Preikestolen lot to hike, and return through Oanes. You will beat the tour buses to the rock and also get to drive along Lysefjord in this driving loop. Plus, if the weather turns wet, you can reassess and tour elsewhere.

They tried to unabashedly pass the rock for Kashmir in the last Mission Impossible movie, so expect even more visitors next summer. It is nowhere near as demanding as the hikes to Kjerag boulder and Trolltunga - hence, the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!