Hilton Head Resort Resources & Information

DisneyPiPhi

DIS Veteran
Hi, everyone! I am not a DVC owner so I don't normally venture into this forum. We want to take our daughter on a short, reasonably priced beach vacation for her birthday and are thinking of going to Disney's Hilton Head Island resort in early September.

I have poked around Disney's resort site and read reviews on Trip Advisor and Touring Plans. This resort sounds like a wonderful place for us to end the summer and spend time together. It seems like my daughter - who will be turning five - would love all the family and kids activities as well as the beach and pools, and the villas look nice and reasonably priced.

A couple of questions:

First, does anyone know of sites or blogs I should read to get more information about this resort? Is there a sub-forum here dedicated to the HHI Resort?

Second, we have never been to South Carolina or its beaches. Is early September a good time to visit? We are looking at the weekend after Labor Day (my daughter's birthday is at the end of August.)

Third, for anyone who has visited with younger kids, are there any activities you would particularly recommend, based on your own awesome experience?

Thanks!

There used to be an HHI owners thread, but I don't know if there is one currently. It's not our home resort, but we have been there more than any other one! September is a great time to go, low crowds but the weather is still nice and warm. There are lots of great activities for the little ones. The campfire is a must-do, there are daily arts and crafts type activities for a reasonable cost that are perfect for that age. There is a nice little playground, plenty of trails to explore, horseshoes, hammocks, bikes for rent, games at the pool, etc. It really is a great place and perfect for that age. We will be going in May this year and we can't wait! Our kids are now 8-18 and we have had a great a time each visit, from our first trip in October of 2006 til now!

We went to HHI for the first time last summer and fell in love with the place. It is perfect for kids that age. The beach is shallow so at low tide the beach is huge with lots of tide pools for kids to play in safely without being in the rough surf. The sand is perfect for sand castle building since its wet from high tide. There were a lot of jelly fish when we were there, April, but I'm not sure if that's seasonal or what. But since we stayed in the tide pools they were easy to see and avoid.
The staff were super friendly. My young kids LOVED the camp fire sing alongs and roasting marshmallows. There were several other fun looking activities in the activity calendar that would be great for that age like crafts and such, we just didn't have time for them all. There are horseshoes, shuffle board, and bean bag toss games all around the resort to play. The play ground is great.
We loved that we parked the car when we got there and rode bikes to go anywhere we wanted for the week. There is a bike path underpass to go under the busy highway to get to the beach so you don't have to cross that road.

It's our home resort and we've been for 2 weeks every Thanksgiving for the past 11 years. We love it there and if there were a sub-forum, I'd be there. However, there is a very nice and helpful Facebook page.

If you like hot, it's hot. Our younger grandkids loved the pool games, the campfire, ice cream drop where they tried to drop ice cream in their Dad's mouth. Older kids liked the tie dye. There's a ton of things for kids to do.

Last edited:
The activities at the resort are great for kids as everyone said. We took my girls to the sandbox childrens museum on hilton head and they loved it.

It's our home resort and we've been for 2 weeks every Thanksgiving for the past 11 years. We love it there and if there were a sub-forum, I'd be there. However, there is a very nice and helpful Facebook page.

Could you post a link to the Facebook page?
We spent Halloween at Vero last year and are thinking about trying HHI this year. Does anyone know how the activities compare at the two in the off season late October/early November? At Vero it was warm enough to swim and be in the ocean still and there were water slide races and crafts planned everyday. Does HHI do something similar or is it more low key outside of high season during the summer? Are there any character meals or visits at all? TIA!!

I would post a link, but I'm so tech-unsavy, I don't know how! I think you can search for DHHIR page.

Could you post a link to the Facebook page?
We spent Halloween at Vero last year and are thinking about trying HHI this year. Does anyone know how the activities compare at the two in the off season late October/early November? At Vero it was warm enough to swim and be in the ocean still and there were water slide races and crafts planned everyday. Does HHI do something similar or is it more low key outside of high season during the summer? Are there any character meals or visits at all? TIA!!

We are owners at HHI and will be there for Halloween this year. Last year, we went in early Dec for a week and had a blast. The weather was still warm and nights required a light jacket. We watched movies under the stars at their small ampitheater, roasted marshmallows at the campfire, (no charge for making smores) and got to hang out with 'Shadow'.

From the Disney website:
A frequent sight around the grounds of Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort, Shadow first appeared at the resort during construction in 1996. By opening day, she was part of the resort’s family.

The Resort’s local folklore expert, B’Lou Crabbe, often appears with Shadow and shares her tale with guests. According to him, the pup got her name as a result of her curious and happy spirit.

“She showed up when we were building the resort. We noticed a golden retriever puppy hanging around with some of the workers, getting in to trouble and coming out of it smelling like roses. We named her Shadow, not because of her color of her fur, but because she was more underfoot than your own shadow and the name stuck.”

Today, Shadow periodically can be found welcoming guests with B’Lou on the Resort’s front porch. Guests also can join her on a walk around the Resort during Shadow’s Funny Bunny Hunt, or hear about her adventures at Shadow’s Tale story time. Photos and belly rubs welcome.

HHI has so much to offer. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Restaurant suggestions? It's my husband and I and 5 children ages 20 - 27. Don't want to break the bank! TIA

We love Giusseppes Pizza and Pasta right there at Shelter Cove. The have a everything from pizza, pasta and salads, to wine, beer etc. Prices are reasonable. We make it a must everytime we are on the island.

If you don't want to break the bank, you can't beat the Sea Shack or Kenny B's. Both are super casual and inexpensive for Hilton Head.

I toured the property a few weeks ago while staying nearby. It's beautiful! You'll have a great time. Get insurance because that is hurricane season.

Hi folks,

Me and my signifanct other going July 12 -16 at Hilton head. Any advice on resturants, nightlife, activities?
Advice on how to navigate around resort and stuff?
Thanks

We are in our mid 20s jsyk.

Thanks

Walk over the bridge to the Shelter Cove Marina area. There's a restaurant there called Bucci's. Go to the bar at Happy Hour and eat there too! Food is good, pretty good deals and a nice atmosphere. We also ate at One Hot Mama's which was REALLY good! There are 3 restaurants right near each other and they have outside bars, music playing and happy hours as well. Next to One Hot Mama's was Reilly's and I can't remember the other one. It's in a shopping plaza right before you go into Sea Pines. Everyone raved about Skull Creek Boathouse. We weren't impressed with the food. The outside area though has some nice bars and looks like it could be a lot of fun... it was raining when we were there though.

Have fun!

For those who have been during the winter months, is the pool heated? And is there still access to the beach house area? We are looking to go for New Years this year.

Yes, the pool is heated. However, I think there's a rule now that if it's below 50 (or 55) degrees the pool will be closed until it warms above that. That's not often an issue, but I remember, before this rule, on Thanksgiving day one year, it was almost down to 32 degrees, it was sleeting, there was steam rising from the pool, and there were people actually swimming in it!

We spent early May on HHI (not at Disney resort, although we are DVC members). Found an amazing condo and the cash cost was worth it for us to save the points. Here was my to do list. We have a 4.5 yo and 16 month old.

Hilton Head

Stuff

• Pirates of Hilton Head
  • Live Oac Outdoor Adventure Company (dolphin tours)
  • Coastal Discovery Museum
  • Pirate Island Adventure Golf
  • Bon Bikes

Restaurants

Seafood

• The skull creek boat house
  • The Crazy Crab Jarvis Creek
  • Hudson Seafood House on the Docks
  • Marley's Island Grill
Cheapeats

• Java Burrito Company (fav)
  • Dough Boy Pizza
  • Giuseppi's Pizza in Sea Pines
  • The Sea Shack
  • Low Country Backyard (fav)
  • Fiesta Fresh Mexican Grill
  • The Dunes House
  • Chow Daddy's

Shopping

• Shelter Cove Town Center
  • Coligny Plaza

I can say we did not hit everything on the list. But did do the Live Oac dolphin tour. That was the highlight of our trip. Coastal Discovery Museum was a close second.

For food, we like loved Skull creek, Low Country Backyard, and Java Burrito.

Not listed above was a nice trip into Sea pines. ($6 fee). We went to the bakery for sanwhiches, played on the playground, walked around the shops, and climbed the light house. That was a great afternoon and recommended for young ones!

Hope this helps!

Our first stay is this month. Trying to determine a good room request. Any ideas? In looking at the map, it appears the pool is quite a walk from Live Oak Lodge. Is that the case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!