Hilton Head Resort Resources & Information

It really isn't bad at all. Compared to WDW resorts, the resort at HHI is quite compact. What size villa are you getting? The majority of the studios and 1 BRs are in the Live Oak Lodge, but all the two BRs are in other buildings.

I just found out on FB today that Pino Gelato in Wexford Village is closing. Any tips on where to get ice cream now?

It really isn't bad at all. Compared to WDW resorts, the resort at HHI is quite compact. What size villa are you getting? The majority of the studios and 1 BRs are in the Live Oak Lodge, but all the two BRs are in other buildings.

Studio.

Hi, everyone! I am not a DVC owner so I don't normally venture into this forum. We want to take our daughter on a short, reasonably priced beach vacation for her birthday and are thinking of going to Disney's Hilton Head Island resort in early September.

I have poked around Disney's resort site and read reviews on Trip Advisor and Touring Plans. This resort sounds like a wonderful place for us to end the summer and spend time together. It seems like my daughter - who will be turning five - would love all the family and kids activities as well as the beach and pools, and the villas look nice and reasonably priced.

A couple of questions:

First, does anyone know of sites or blogs I should read to get more information about this resort? Is there a sub-forum here dedicated to the HHI Resort?

Second, we have never been to South Carolina or its beaches. Is early September a good time to visit? We are looking at the weekend after Labor Day (my daughter's birthday is at the end of August.)

Third, for anyone who has visited with younger kids, are there any activities you would particularly recommend, based on your own awesome experience?

Thanks!
It depends on your beach style and comfort but for us, DVC HH is not a beach vacation. If you're OK with staying off the beach and traveling to the beach when needed, you'll be fine, but we're not. But we do love HH and will be there with around 43-44 people later in the summer staying on the beach though. DVC HH is a great resort but the location limitations are too much of a negative for us to put it high on our list of places to stay in the area.

You've probably already learned, there are 21 studios at the resort. Sixteen of them are in the main lodge or the attached building 12. The other 5 are, 1 each, in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, and 30. Building 18 has the most beautiful marsh view. But the studios in the 5 "out buildings" are all on the first floor, so they can get loud from footsteps clomping around above. The odd ones in the main building are shaded and most quiet. The even ones face the water, and they get the morning sun reflecting off said water, so it can get awfully HOT on the balcony.

You've probably already learned, there are 21 studios at the resort. Sixteen of them are in the main lodge or the attached building 12. The other 5 are, 1 each, in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, and 30. Building 18 has the most beautiful marsh view. But the studios in the 5 "out buildings" are all on the first floor, so they can get loud from footsteps clomping around above. The odd ones in the main building are shaded and most quiet. The even ones face the water, and they get the morning sun reflecting off said water, so it can get awfully HOT on the balcony.

THANKS !

I just found out on FB today that Pino Gelato in Wexford Village is closing. Any tips on where to get ice cream now?

There is a Kilwin's at the new Shelter Cove Town Center (where the mall used to be.)
The town center replaced the shopping mall and is now a new outdoor dining and shopping area with a nice park. I think this would be your very closest ice cream option. I dream about their Georgia peach ice cream ... some people have Kilwin's at home but we don't so we love to get it when we are down there!

We also like Hilton Head Ice Cream and Marley's but those are more of a hike and closer to Sea Pines.

We always just walked over to Frosty's in Shelter Cove for ice cream. Is it not there anymore?

There's an ice cream place right in Shelter Cove? As many times as we've walked over there, I've never noticed.

We are headed to DHHIR next month and staying in a two bedroom wheelchair accessible lock-off villa. We would like to rent a lift and shower chair for our son. I called the resort and they did not know of anyone. I found a pharmacy on the island that rents wheelchairs but not much else. Anyone have any ideas?

We are headed to DHHIR next month and staying in a two bedroom wheelchair accessible lock-off villa. We would like to rent a lift and shower chair for our son. I called the resort and they did not know of anyone. I found a pharmacy on the island that rents wheelchairs but not much else. Anyone have any ideas?
Try this, it's the one Marriott's refer people to. http://www.burkespharmacy.com/DME-

Try this, it's the one Marriott's refer people to. http://www.burkespharmacy.com/DME-
Thanks Dean. Yeah, that is who I contacted. Their inventory is limited to the more basic stuff and they did not have any leads for me. There are places in Orlando and Port Canaveral (for cruises) that have a wider variety of equipment for rent and will have it delivered to your room/cabin. I'll just have to put ours on the roof of our van for the four hour drive.

I have another DHHIR question. Is fishing limited to the pier/gazebo? I am pretty sure we will be staying in the main lodge.

Thanks Dean. Yeah, that is who I contacted. Their inventory is limited to the more basic stuff and they did not have any leads for me. There are places in Orlando and Port Canaveral (for cruises) that have a wider variety of equipment for rent and will have it delivered to your room/cabin. I'll just have to put ours on the roof of our van for the four hour drive.
You might check back because their website lists a lot of options including a lift chair. The resort should have a shower chair. I would have thought the resort would have a wheelchair as well (first come). I'd call Burkes back during the day during the week and talk to a manager so you know for sure. If they don't have it, ask them for other recommendations. I'd check back withs the resort on the shower chair, all the resorts we stayed at with this need had them.

Putting myself in your situation, I'd try http://www.bme4u.com across the bridge, there may be others. I'd also call and talk to the hospital there asking for the discharge planners for neurology and/or orthopedics plus the physical therapy department if you get that far without an answer. If non of these yield results keep digging, ? looking at Savannah.

Just got back a week ago, and go every few years. It is a great area! Never been in September, so I'm not sure how long they do this, but the Shelter Cove area in the summer has fireworks and lots of kid activities on Tuesday nights.

For food, I recommend:

The Crazy Crab
Giuseppes pizza
The Dunes House (fish tacos are great!)
THE FROSTY FROG!!! (AMAZING daiquiris, and you can even get a gallon to go)
The Salty Dog Cafe

For shopping, I like Coligny Plaza. They have a bunch of different shops. Also, the General Store on Palmetto Dunes has a lot of cute shirts and stuff.

I have another DHHIR question. Is fishing limited to the pier/gazebo? I am pretty sure we will be staying in the main lodge.

We always stay in the Main Lodge, and I've seen several people, locals I think, fishing from the banks around there, mostly in the front of the lodge. But I think I've seen one or two people over the years fishing in back.

You might check back because their website lists a lot of options including a lift chair. The resort should have a shower chair. I would have thought the resort would have a wheelchair as well (first come). I'd call Burkes back during the day during the week and talk to a manager so you know for sure. If they don't have it, ask them for other recommendations. I'd check back withs the resort on the shower chair, all the resorts we stayed at with this need had them.

Putting myself in your situation, I'd try http://www.bme4u.com across the bridge, there may be others. I'd also call and talk to the hospital there asking for the discharge planners for neurology and/or orthopedics plus the physical therapy department if you get that far without an answer. If non of these yield results keep digging, ? looking at Savannah.
Yeah, what we are looking for is a rolling shower/toilet chair and a hoyer lift. I'm sure the there will be a fold-down seat in the shower.

Discharge planner is an awesome idea though.

Yeah, what we are looking for is a rolling shower/toilet chair and a hoyer lift. I'm sure the there will be a fold-down seat in the shower.

Discharge planner is an awesome idea though.
Let us know how it works out. Another option is to check with your local company you use for DME and see if they can help. They may be in a network for such issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!