Hints to escape the summer heat?

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
Any suggestions on ways to escape the heat for a bit during the summer? We only have 1 night at the resort hotel, which means we won't have a room until after 4 on day, and we will need to check out when we head to the park on day 2. Any recommendations or hints would be welcome!

I was there yesterday for the first time. I found Diagon Alley to be much shadier than Hogsmeade. So if you have early park entry for Hogsmeade, do it first, and do Diagon Alley later when it's hotter. Also don't buy robes. My kids insisted on robes and then "got hot" when it hit over 90 degrees yesterday (duh). We did the same thing as you - checked into Royal Pacific at 3pm, our room was ready (yay!), did the pool, then City Walk the first night. Got up at 6am, carried bags to car, checked out on hotel TV, went via boat to Universal and was in the park by 7:40. The early admission time is SOOOO WORTH THE MONEY. To me it was as good as the express pass!

Stop and see the Horror Makeup Show. That's a nice break sitting in AC and it's a fun show.

Mythos restaurant usually has the AC blasting.

Baggage services will hold your bags on both days - before your room is ready and after you check out.

The hottest place in both parks is Marvel and Toon Lagoon. Prepare yourself for it by entering the park and turning right and riding Cat in the Hat (to cool off), then proceed to spiderman. The most refreshing place in the park (used to be EP Jimmy Neutron) is the single rider line on MIB.

Men In Black in Studios (I swear it is 10 degrees cooler in there than the regular AC places, they blast the AC), the shops, grab a bite, hit the water rides (if you don't mind being soaked.) The lines for them will be long though, but Popeye's will drench you, Dudley DoRight's will get you really wet, and Jurassic Park is hit or miss on how wet you'll get.

Mel's Diner was so cold during HHN last year I sat outside to warm up. Agree with PP, Diagon Alley is much cooler with more shaded areas to relax.

Stop and see the Horror Makeup Show. That's a nice break sitting in AC and it's a fun show.

Mythos restaurant usually has the AC blasting.

Baggage services will hold your bags on both days - before your room is ready and after you check out.
Omg yes. We ate dinner at Mythos and about froze to death!

Knockturn Alley is cold too. Backtracking too much is a waste of time, especially with just one day. Plan on eating at indoor locations. Try to do outside rides earlier and inside rides in the afternoon. Some inside rides do have outdoor queues though, like Shrek and Minions. If extended queues are in use, as they are on very busy days, those are all outside. There’s a soak zone outside the Jurassic water ride, and a few places in the Toon Lagoon were you can get wet. In Hogsmeade there’s a spell that causes a cauldron to tip over and that cauldron usually has water in it when it’s warm. It’s outside the candy shop. At Universal, you can get soaked at Curious George’s playground and wet in Diagon Alley near the restrooms- look for the umbrella.

Have every piece of clothing you are wearing be moisture wicking to keep the sweat off of you. This helps a lot. Bring a misting fan and/or a cooling towel. Apply sunscreen every two hours.
Have every piece of clothing you are wearing be moisture wicking to keep the sweat off of you. This helps a lot. Bring a misting fan and/or a cooling towel. Apply sunscreen every two hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!