Hitchhiking on husbands convention

elfling8

Mouseketeer
My husband is going to a convention at the Swan in July, my MIL is coming to watch the teenage kids (who are none to happy that we are going without them), and I am going to go with him. For the most part he will be at the convention the whole time and not able to do any parks with me. The exception is there is a convention dinner one night at Epcot including Illuminations and "after hours private access to 3 attractions".

I'm thinking I'll get single park tickets for myself for the days he will be busy. Looking for advice on what's the best way to get tickets and possibly quick service meal plan (can you do that without a package and staying at Swan & Dolphin?) since I won't be buying a whole room/ticket package.

The last time we went to Disney was as a family about 5 years ago I think. The Dwarf's Mine Train was being built and you pulled fast pass tickets from a machine. We did all parks, and covered lots of stuff. What are some of the new must sees and what should I shoot for with fast passes vs single rider lines? I have migraine associated vertigo, so will sadly have to skip Pandora and anything else like Soarin' or risk a miserable rest of the day.

thanks, and excited to be back on the disboards!

Several years ago I attended a conference that was held at Grand Floridian. I paid for my sister to come along, and she spent the days and most evenings at thee parks -- I joined her in the evenings when the conference did not have activities.

The conference was eligible for WDW's conference ticket pricing, which was a substantial savings. For my sister I got her multiday park hopper passes and for myself I got "after 4 pm" passes.

I highly suggest inquiring with the convention to see if they have convention rate ticket/pass eligibility.

SW

Last edited:

Thank you. I will check into that. I had looked quickly for after 4pm tickets on the website and didn't see any. Also wondering if I might be able to get some sort of discount through AAA.

Glad you were able to find the special tickets !! Enjoy your trip ! My sister really liked exploring the parks alone. We would pre-arrange when and where we would meet up and then when I got out for the day would text or call her and confirm and also let her know when I was headed over. It worked well and we both enjoyed our time.

SW

the fastpass system is completely different from when you last went.

Check out these links...

https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...l-tier-1-booking-cl-fp-trial-program.3538258/

In the last 5 years, there have been a few ride closures (great movie ride is likely most notable) and several new rides (pandora rides most notable). By the time you go in July -- Toy Story Land will be open; however, your 60 day fastpass window has already opened up, so fastpasses for the TSL rides might be slim pickings.

The only discounted tickets I know of are the convention ones that someone else mentioned or purchasing from a 3rd party source like parksavers.com or undercovertourist.com. You can get them emailed to you and then link them to your MDE account. Instead of buying "single day" tickets -- I would likely buy 4 day tickets that are good for a single park each day.

Unless you stay DVC -- I don't think you can get a dining plan without also booking your tickets with the hotel as a package.

Weigh your options on those conference tickets. When my significant other joined me at a conference at WDW, we decided NOT to buy those because our options only allowed admission to the parks starting at 2pm. I'm not sure what your husband's conference tickets options are. We did get his ticket at AAA for a bit of discount, but its not much of one. I think the conference tickets are good for a conference go-er if they are just going to head to the parks an evening or two, but for the "tag along" person or if you plan to spend a few days together touring the parks before/after the conference - really judge the price vs. your time. Basically - do your homework.

Dining plans are only part of a package - so just plan to buy meals out-of-pocket. Depending upon how long you are going to be there - taking non-perishables in your suitcase, placing a grocery order for delivery, or just snooping out the food options in resort gift shops (esp the DVC resorts) - can save you a fair amount of money on food. If you will have a car - make a trip to the grocery store in Orlando yourself. But generally - as a solo - I never find the dining plans useful - so don't feel like you are missing something without one!

Thank you for the links and info. I did hear one of the new rides in TSL has a single rider line. I will take advantage of those for sure!

the fastpass system is completely different from when you last went.

Check out these links...

https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...l-tier-1-booking-cl-fp-trial-program.3538258/

In the last 5 years, there have been a few ride closures (great movie ride is likely most notable) and several new rides (pandora rides most notable). By the time you go in July -- Toy Story Land will be open; however, your 60 day fastpass window has already opened up, so fastpasses for the TSL rides might be slim pickings.

The only discounted tickets I know of are the convention ones that someone else mentioned or purchasing from a 3rd party source like parksavers.com or undercovertourist.com. You can get them emailed to you and then link them to your MDE account. Instead of buying "single day" tickets -- I would likely buy 4 day tickets that are good for a single park each day.

Unless you stay DVC -- I don't think you can get a dining plan without also booking your tickets with the hotel as a package.

Thanks. There were two options for the conference tickets - full day for family members, and part day for conference attendees only. Good points on the dining. It will be so hot (I live in MA) in July I bet I won't be hungry enough to make a dining plan worth while anyway!

Weigh your options on those conference tickets. When my significant other joined me at a conference at WDW, we decided NOT to buy those because our options only allowed admission to the parks starting at 2pm. I'm not sure what your husband's conference tickets options are. We did get his ticket at AAA for a bit of discount, but its not much of one. I think the conference tickets are good for a conference go-er if they are just going to head to the parks an evening or two, but for the "tag along" person or if you plan to spend a few days together touring the parks before/after the conference - really judge the price vs. your time. Basically - do your homework.

Dining plans are only part of a package - so just plan to buy meals out-of-pocket. Depending upon how long you are going to be there - taking non-perishables in your suitcase, placing a grocery order for delivery, or just snooping out the food options in resort gift shops (esp the DVC resorts) - can save you a fair amount of money on food. If you will have a car - make a trip to the grocery store in Orlando yourself. But generally - as a solo - I never find the dining plans useful - so don't feel like you are missing something without one!

Thank you for the links and info. I did hear one of the new rides in TSL has a single rider line. I will take advantage of those for sure!

As far as single rider lines go -- there aren't a whole lot at WDW (as compared to DL/DCA). At WDW, you have test track, RNRC, and EE. The EE line is rarely long. RNRC works very well in the morning -- but after noon, it can get quite lengthy (still better than standby line -- but a FP would be best). Test track single rider has been good to me with the exception of the last time I went. It took over 30 minutes to get through the line, and in the past, it seems like it used to take 10-15 mins max. Not sure if that is the new normal or if they had had technical difficulties earlier in the day.

FOP was supposed to have a single rider line, but they have not opened it up yet. Not sure if the TSL ride is going to be similar to that or not.

Bought my tickets last night - 3 day single park passes with 1 water park fun and more visit. (only option other than number of days). My husband can get part-day passes. Now to wait until it clears so I can get my fast passes! I'm guessing Test Track is one of the ones we can do after hours after the conference dinner in Epcot. I'll probably try to get one for the mine train since it was being built last time we went, and see if there is any thing left for TSL. Can easily hit RNRC early in the am, and EE we had the same experience - DH and DD rode it about 5 times in a row in the middle of the day single rider.

I might spend a good chunk of time in MK doing the Sorcerers game. We did it some 5 yrs ago, but were more intent on getting our rides in :)

Unfortunately I can't ride that. Migraine associated vertigo :( Don't even want to chance it with dramamine. Soarin and Star Wars are out for me too.

I wonder if its the convention my husband is going to. I am hijacking it as well lol. So I will be doing the parks alone.

I wonder if its the convention my husband is going to. I am hijacking it as well lol. So I will be doing the parks alone.

Tessitura? He's going to get part day passes for the first and last days, so there will actually just be one day I'll be totally soloing it. Finally got all our tickets bought and things settled on MDE, now to get my act together and see what I can get for FP

Yep thats the same exact convention he's going to except my husband hates disney so I am on my own lol
Any guesses on where the Epcot dinner is, and what 3 rides we get? My guess is Test Track and Soarin', not sure of the third. Are you going with him?

No I have no idea where the dinner is, I asked my husband and he has no clue either. I don't understand what you mean rides we get. You mean with the fast pass? I am not going with him he's under the impression he has to go alone.

He can get a ticket for you for the dinner, tell him to look at the FAQ - it says something about if your guests would like to join you you can purchase. You have to log in to see the whole FAQ!, so I can't tell you the exact wording. My husband bought me one. It gets you into the park for dinner, a spot for Illuminations, and 3 rides.
Wednesday Party at EPCOT®
The Conference’s Wednesday night closing dinner and networking event is always a must-attend, and this year it’s a special evening at EPCOT®. Enjoy dinner and the Tessiturians Band at World Showplace followed by fireworks, music, and magic. We will wrap up the evening with thrills including after-hours private access to three attractions. This unique and enchanting experience will certainly be one of the highlights of TLCC2018.

He can get a ticket for you for the dinner, tell him to look at the FAQ - it says something about if your guests would like to join you you can purchase. You have to log in to see the whole FAQ!, so I can't tell you the exact wording. My husband bought me one. It gets you into the park for dinner, a spot for Illuminations, and 3 rides.
Wednesday Party at EPCOT®
The Conference’s Wednesday night closing dinner and networking event is always a must-attend, and this year it’s a special evening at EPCOT®. Enjoy dinner and the Tessiturians Band at World Showplace followed by fireworks, music, and magic. We will wrap up the evening with thrills including after-hours private access to three attractions. This unique and enchanting experience will certainly be one of the highlights of TLCC2018.

interesting -- I would assume Soarin', Test Track and either Frozen, Mission Space or Spaceship earth as the third.

Hopefully it isn't Figment. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter