Holiday 2017 Shopping

MapleGirl

Perpetual Planner
Who has started their holiday / Christmas shopping for 2017? Let's get a thread started of good deals so we can help each other.

I like to shop early so I can order things from eBay without worrying about the shipping time. Here is what I have so far:

From eBay:
From Michael's summer clearance:
  • For co-workers: large scented jar candles that I'll decoupage with Christmas wrapping paper ($1.79)
  • Tiki stickers for a friend who love the Polynesian Resort
From Target:

Disney Store
A few weeks ago we stopped at the Disney Store because they were having a clearance sale plus the friends and family discount promotion. We picked up a Star Wars Poe Dameron jacket and a Kylo Ren costume for our boys. We also used the same promotion to stock up on Rogue One/Star Wars action figures.

We just got back from Canada a little over a week ago. While I was up visiting, I had my sister pick up an artables bowl for my college daughter to go along with the mug that we got her two Christmases ago. I also grabbed her a couple of the Superstore Canadiana cloth shopping bags. That's about as far as I have gotten with my Christmas shopping so far. I don't have many people to buy for, so I'm not stressing out too much. I do have an 8 year-old who changes his mind on what he is interested in every single week, so I will likely hold off as long as possible before buying anything major for him. I have started my list of gift ideas for people, so when I find a good deal or come across items that are on my list, I will pick them up.

It's because I have issues but I am almost done Christmas shopping for my two kids. It helps that the big item for my son was a neon Nintendo switch and I wanted that early rather than stress about it closer to Xmas. (James is special needs and only asks Santa for one thing and Santa has yet to miss a delivery but the switch was worrisome). My DD 15 is super into 50s retro clothes so tons of those and heaps of her favorite makeup. Also big Disney plush for her (Stitch) and a medium plush for James (Sully). Also for our May trip mouse ears, pins, and lanyard for James (Cat already has these from previous trips).

It's because I have issues but I am almost done Christmas shopping for my two kids.

Good for you! Whenever possible, I love getting as much of my shopping done ahead as I can so that can get my wrapping done early. The holidays are always busy enough without taking an entire evening to wrap gifts. I was reminded of this a couple of years ago when we flew home to have Christmas with our family and it was recommended that we not wrap gifts ahead of time (it had been an issue with a family member on a previous trip through customs). Spending an entire night cutting paper and stuffing gift bags instead of being able to just hang out with the rest of the family was a real drag. I always seem to have a few last minute items to wrap anyway, but it isn't as bad as putting off all of the wrapping for the busy season.

I have a few things. I bought my husband a wood wristwatch that he liked and I hit the Target toy clearance and have gifts for all my great nieces and nephews (6 of them and another to be born in September).

My adult daughter in grad school wants a nice DSLR camera for Christmas so I will be on the lookout for sales and will buy it when I find a good price. My youngest (5th grader) says she only wants a phone for Christmas. Yeah, I'm not sure about that one...

Nothing. Zip.

But we're going to Scotland in October -- I plan to get nearly everything then and even have extra bags planned out to bring stuff home.

I think this may be the year of cash. I say that every year and end up buying gifts, but I think this is the year!
I'm with you there. I hate shopping. Only buy gifts for wife and daughter. Everyone else gets gift cards....usually an Amex card since my bank waves the fees for that card.

Unless it's something specific, I don't see why you even need to venture out for Holiday shopping anymore.

Unless it's something specific, I don't see why you even need to venture out for Holiday shopping anymore.

Because Canadians get charged ridiculous amounts of shipping so it's cheaper to brace the crowds. Seriously, sometimes the shipping is more than the sub total.

As to the op question, no, it's not December yet so I haven't done any shopping lol

I think this may be the year of cash. I say that every year and end up buying gifts, but I think this is the year!

We started doing that Christmas 2015, when my Mother had to go to a nursing facility that October. I'm an only child so it was on me to clean out her apartment, and for about 6 weeks I spent almost every weekday afternoon there sorting through all of her things. Deciding what to keep, what to give other family members, and what to donate to Goodwill. I had no time for shopping. And we had been thinking about doing more cash gifts before it happened so it was just a good time to start. We did it again last year. SO much easier!! I do get everyone (our adult children and all the grandchildren/spouses) a small token gift but their main gift is cash in a card. They all seem to like it. :) I know I do! :)

I have done nothing but that is not unusual. This year will be easy anyway. Younger DS and dil will get Wrestlemania tickets. DD and BF will get a gc for Universal tickets OR Wrestlemania tickets, they just got to make up their mind. Older DS and dil are getting framed family crests--her maiden name, ds's last name and my maiden name, so three total. I will be ordering those soon.

So its just the grandkids to buy for.

I've started writing a list, but I haven't bought anything yet. I like to be done shopping by the first week of December so I can enjoy all the festivities! I can't wrap early though because I forget or lose things too easily. I think my teens are getting new computer/gaming chairs, and I think my husband would like a bike, but I don't know much about buying bicycles! I also buy for young nieces, but they change so much I won't get anything until end of November.

Because Canadians get charged ridiculous amounts of shipping so it's cheaper to brace the crowds. Seriously, sometimes the shipping is more than the sub total.

As to the op question, no, it's not December yet so I haven't done any shopping lol

Yeah most of my family lives out of state. So it's easier to send things. Didn't know shipping was so expensive in Canada. Companies don't try and give you free shipping during the Holidays?

I generally don't start shopping until mid November which is when I really start getting an idea of what everyone is hoping for.

I will say though that I was just talking to the guy that works at the tree farm last week at Walmart lol.
We tend to look for that mid October. We tag it and then they cut it late November and call us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter