Hollywood Brown Derby suggestions

MegMouseketeer

Mouseketeer
Hi! My husband and I will be eating at the Derby this Saturday for dinner. We have never eaten there before. Do any of y'all know if they will serve us the burger that's on the lunch menu at dinner time? Also, has anyone had the oyster brie soup? What are your thoughts? Anything else that we should try?

Cobb Salad. The soup my DH loves it. Their fish dishes are very good.

the soup does not have raw oysters in it. It has "oyster fritters." they are a little spicy.

That soup was on the menu last month and it seems to be their winter menu. They have that soup every December.

The burger is a "lunch special" which makes me think it's not available for dinner. I usually get a chicken sandwich from the lunch specials. I might try that burger one day if they'll take off the fried egg.

Allears' menu is the autumn menu. The pumpkin soup had just been swapped out for the oyster brie when I ate there December 4.

the soup does not have raw oysters in it. It has "oyster fritters." they are a little spicy.

That soup was on the menu last month and it seems to be their winter menu. They have that soup every December.

The burger is a "lunch special" which makes me think it's not available for dinner. I usually get a chicken sandwich from the lunch specials. I might try that burger one day if they'll take off the fried egg.

Allears' menu is the autumn menu. The pumpkin soup had just been swapped out for the oyster brie when I ate there December 4.
The oyster soup was there Thanksgiving week, also (I think we went w couple days after Thanksgiving).

Cheese plate, Cobb Salad, Grapefruit cake and a wine flight. That's my go to meal there.

I saw that the lounge has the cheese plate on the menu. Will they let you order it inside the restaurant? I am pretty sure we are going to get the app sized Cobb salad, but my husband and I wanted something else to share.

We just went to HBD on Dec. 19. My DS10 had the Beggar's Purse and the Filet, DH had the Ahi and Salmon, I had the salad and the Cioppino. Everything was delicious. There was no burger on the dinner menu but we saw a TON of sliders heading out to the lounge and they looked delicious. I don't know if you can order off the lounge menu in the main dining room.

I saw that the lounge has the cheese plate on the menu. Will they let you order it inside the restaurant? I am pretty sure we are going to get the app sized Cobb salad, but my husband and I wanted something else to share.

If it's not on the menu inside you can't order it and vice versa. We have been eating outside since it opened.

Five of us ate dinner there the last week of October, each had a different appetizer and entrée and we sampled. The clear winners were the carpaccio appetizer and the filet entrée.

We've eaten there several times and never had a bad meal. The last time, the Beef Carpaccio was a great appetizerthe Duck 2 ways was really good, The mini desserts are awesome.

Another vote for Cobb salad. I had the small Cobb and one other appetizer and it was plenty of food. Grapefruit cake is good too.

It looks like you are looking at the menus directly on the WDW site. Those menus are typically always out dated. HBD only has 1 menu for both Lunch and Dinner. There is no burger or oyster brie soup on the menu at either of the far more up-to-date menu sites (I personally usually stick with allears if I want to see a restaurants menu):

http://allears.net/dining/menu/brown-derby/lunch-dinner
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=85

They had a burger and a chicken sandwich on their menu both last year and last month when we dined there for lunch. It's only on the lunch menu though and I wouldn't expect them to make it at dinner.

Oyster brie soup was also on the menu Christmas Day. The current menu @ disneyworld.disney.go is correct and up to date.
We were tempted by the oyster brie soup but since DGD doesn't eat cheese regretfully passed it by.

The Cobb salad is very, very good. I almost never order a salad in a restaurant because I am Super picky about freshness of the ingredients. And I can say the one there was better than I can make at home. So good we went back another day!

The wine white was good as wel.

My experience at Brown Derby, Christmas Day, was quite different from our summer trip but didn't affect the food....it was all about the service and probably acceptable to Disney behavior during high turnover time frames.

Our party of 3 had the following:

beef carpaccio tasted delectable for the little I tasted; the man was much too happy to give me a true taste. Orrrrr maybe I eat too slow- you decide:D.
DGD had the chicken noodle soup and the noodles were nicely tender and not overcooked.
I had the Cobb salad and would have enjoyed it (it was delicious) more IF the kitchen had not timed our entrees incorrectly and the waiter attempted to place my roasted pork chop on the table before I was finished the first course. This is not the type of service I expect at a signature restaurant where one assumes they are paying not only for the innovation and quality of the food but the level of service. Since I refused the entree until my salad was finished ALL the entrees were put under a heat lamp which only peeved me that much more, LOL. As a consequence, the chop was slightly over cooked.The man had the duck 2 ways and DGD had the salmon minus the polenta which has cheese which she only eats on pizza.

For dessert we had several of the mini desserts: grapefruit cake, blueberry cobbler, cappuccino brulee and the lemon cheesecake. Only the brulee and grapefruit cake rose above the average Disney signature dessert to my way of thinking and were truly worthy of the extra calories although DGD was enamoured with the blueberry dessert and ate it to the last drop along with a dish of vanilla ice cream.

I didn't fault the waiter for the service faux pas when it came to tipping since it was Christmas Day but found out that other signature restaurants were pulling the same trick thus made a point of telling our servers that we didn't want to be served our second course until the first was finished. This seemed to start us all on an equal footing and I had no further problems with service for the rest of our trip.

We also had what felt like a rushed serving, which was a bit off putting for a signature spot. Good idea about giving them preemptive expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!