Hong Kong Disney Advice

Seltzer76

Smiling's my Favorite!
I have an opportunity to be in Hong Kong for business in August and I'm thinking of extending my trip and staying a extra day just to visit Hong Kong Disneyland. However, I've never been to Hong Kong, will be traveling by myself, don't know my way around, etc. I often go to the parks in Orlando by myself when on business there so have no problem with a "solo trip" but honestly I'm not all that adventurous so I'm nervous about doing this. This may be my only opportunity to be in Hong Kong and seems like an opportunity I shouldn't pass up.

Any advice from anyone who has been there...i.e. is it easy to get to Hong Kong Disney from airport or train station...any other advice/tips? Thank you!

Easy as pie. HKDL resort is connected to the metro via a transfer station at Sunny Bay stop on Lantau Island along the Tung Chung line. Pretty easy to get to from Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.

I say worth it because the backdrop of Lantau gives the park an unequaled intimate storybook setting.

OoO I'm so jealous, lol. I want to go!!

I say: DO IT! Have an adventure!!! pixiedust:

Where will you be staying at? HKDL has a resort line connecting the MTR. If you are in airport area you can either get there by bus or MTR, other areas MTR is the easiest way. August is summer holiday for kids in HK, so it might be busier than normal. And summer they normally run a summer water fun parade plus the normal parade. The park is not very big, but RC racer and Mystic manor is a must do. I think they are only available in HKDL.

I am actually a Honkies & a moderate Disney fans... If you got any other questions... Please feel free to ask me. :)

Definitely do this! I recently had a business trip that took me to Singapore and Thailand. I've dreamt of hitting all the Disney Parks since forever. So, I decided to leave a day early and made a stopover in Narita and went to Tokyo Disneyland for a day. After my work stuff was complete in Singapore and Thailand 2 weeks later, I spent 1.5 days at HKDL, staying at the HKDL Hotel (amazing). At the end of the next day, I took a red-eye back to Tokyo and spent the next morning/afternoon at Tokyo Disney Sea before catching a flight back to Dallas that evening.

I was a solo traveler during all of the Disney adventures on that trip (my co-workers thought I was nuts), but it was worth every second. I came back with no money due to the disgusting amount of Disney souvenirs I bought...but I would do it again if I had the chance.

Hope it works out for you! :)

I was there last summer and it was amazing!! Mystic Manor is incredible. The nice thing about HK is everything is in English as well as Mandarin and Cantonese. I had been living in a moderate sized city on the mainland and was amazed by how much English there was on the signs!
I'm not very brave on my own but managed to take the train easy peasy. The train is cool cause it's a dedicated disney train so everyone is off to disney and windows are Mickey shaped.

Hotels in Tung Chung which is near airport might be expensive. If you stay over in the city area (Kowloon or HK island) might be a cheaper choice.

Here is the MTR map for your reference.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/flash_eng/index.php

And if you are staying for more than a day.... in HK for sight-seeing. The Airport express travel pass is a good deal. It gives you 1 or 2 airport express ride plus 3 days unlimited free ride on the whole MTR system
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/tourist/tourist_products.html

Disney Ticket is HKD$450 per person. And the park opens at 10am and normally close at 20:00 finishing off with a firework display. Sometimes you might get a 10% discount from some of the travel agent but that's about the best deals for tickets.

It's a pretty compact park.... with 2 fabulous musical show. The Lion King and Golden Mickey. You should be able to finish everything including meet & greet before park close. :cool1:

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I am still deciding but I am starting to lean towards it. If I can't make it work maybe I can at least take the disney themed train just for fun that looks amazing :). Really helpful advice from everyone. I appreciate it.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I am still deciding but I am starting to lean towards it. If I can't make it work maybe I can at least take the disney themed train just for fun that looks amazing :). Really helpful advice from everyone. I appreciate it.

My DD20 was in Hong Kong for a semester of college. She went with her roommate to HKDL one day. They said it was SUPER easy to get to since it has the dedicated train line. The train itself is very cool.

Don't miss Mystic Manor!

_MG_4507 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_4510 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_4531 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_4575 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_4703 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_4745 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_4944 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_4956 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

_MG_5053 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

It's looking like I WILL be able to make it work...will probably stay at Disneyland Hotel for 1 night (why not:). Taking the earliest train in from Guangzhou that morning so I think I should get to the hotel/park by ~noon and can stay till close and then fly home the next day.

Even better news is that it's looking like my day there will a Friday not a Saturday like I thought...I'm (hoping/guessing) it might be slightly less crowded on Friday.

Very glad I posted on here as I got lots of great advice and info...I don't think I would have done it otherwise :)

It's looking like I WILL be able to make it work...will probably stay at Disneyland Hotel for 1 night (why not:). Taking the earliest train in from Guangzhou that morning so I think I should get to the hotel/park by ~noon and can stay till close and then fly home the next day.

Even better news is that it's looking like my day there will a Friday not a Saturday like I thought...I'm (hoping/guessing) it might be slightly less crowded on Friday.

Very glad I posted on here as I got lots of great advice and info...I don't think I would have done it otherwise :)

Have an amazing trip!!! And please do some sort of trip report when you get back so we can live vicariously!! Thanks to the PP for all of the photos, so incredible, I want to go!!!

SO glad you posted - I am planning my first trip and there isn't all that much information here on the boards about HK Disneyland. :)

Have a great trip - please do a trip report! I also want to stay at the HK Disneyland Hotel - it looks lovely!

I will be hitting the park in about 2 weeks time.... So if anyone want any info I might be able to get an official answer from the CM when I get there!! People here helped me a lot in preparing my WDW trip in Aug... Would like to do the same to people planning to come over to HKDL!! Happy planning!!

We went to HKD for Christmas in 2008. Hong Kong is very easy for tourists to get around in -- we purchased rail passes to go everywhere. HKD is small, but it was perfect for my kids at that time and we had a blast. The only problem I had was getting my mind wrapped around the currency exchange. When it is called a dollar, I think in US currency terms. Seeing a breakfast buffet for $140 was a shock until I remembered the 7 to 1 exchange rate.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! My trip was great and I just posted a trip report in the Hong Kong forum called A Jersey Girl's Solo Trip to Hong Kong Disneyland. :)

Ooops - I posted before I saw your updated post - I look forward to reading your trip report! Maybe someone will find the information below helpful.

Hi there - I just returned from my first trip to Hong Kong Disneyland and I had never been there before either. I was also travelling solo - from Beijing.

I had a great trip! Hong Kong Disneyland is super easy to get to and very relaxing as well - the location is tops! I had a sea view room and it was gorgeous. I have written a little TR - in my sig.

From the airport, it is easy to get an Octopus card (MTR and Airport Express train) - you can get an adult card for 150HKD - and take the airport express train changing at Tsing Yi and Sunny Bay. It is easy and wasn't really crowded when I arrived at around 5 pm. (of course I live in Beijing so crowded is my perception really)

However I think it would be even easier to get a taxi - and you might get to Disney sooner. I took a taxi back to the airport and it was close to 15 minutes. My trip there on the train took more like 45 but it was nice learning a new transportation system.

I stayed on property at the HKDL Hotel - I loved it and will book it again - it was gorgeous. I think either hotel would be fantastic. Next trip I want to try the Hollywood Hotel. Hong Kong Disneyland is very easy to do solo - and if you haven't been there before - it's very easy. Have a great trip!:)

I may also stay at the Sky City Marriott in the future - it is closer to the airport - but they have a shuttle to Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter