Hoop Dee Doo closing???

This just seems odd unless Disney was planning on closing the entire Pioneer Hall area. And if that's the case, that would be a huge blow to the Fort. As someone who has considered The Fort my home away from home for years, the Settlement area and Pioneer Hall are a major center-point for dining and activities. It's incredible how crowded that area gets during the evenings

I could understand the Backyard BBQ area possibly overlapping with some construction activity, but I dread the idea of additional expansion somehow moving into the Pioneer Hall / Settlement area ...

I wouldn't put it past them though at this point. There are some things that are just True Disney, and that show is one of them. One of the few remaining "only at Disney" experiences left. I can't get excited about spending another 10-15K at a place where they seem to only care about making more DVC properties. To even consider this really sends a bad message.

This just seems odd unless Disney was planning on closing the entire Pioneer Hall area. And if that's the case, that would be a huge blow to the Fort. As someone who has considered The Fort my home away from home for years, the Settlement area and Pioneer Hall are a major center-point for dining and activities. It's incredible how crowded that area gets during the evenings

I could understand the Backyard BBQ area possibly overlapping with some construction activity, but I dread the idea of additional expansion somehow moving into the Pioneer Hall / Settlement area ...

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire River Country project is being used as a way to completely replace Fort Wilderness with something a little pricier. If Hoop Dee Doo closes, that would pretty much become an expectation from me at least.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire River Country project is being used as a way to completely replace Fort Wilderness with something a little pricier. If Hoop Dee Doo closes, that would pretty much become an expectation from me at least.

For years I've felt that the greedier folks at Disney have been eyeing bulldozing The Fort ... wouldn't be surprised if/when that happens, but I would be crushed. FtW was an original along with the Poly and Contemporary.

That’s such a large area. I’m not sure they would replace it entirely.

That said I’m sure they are looking at ways to make more money off the property.

For years I've felt that the greedier folks at Disney have been eyeing bulldozing The Fort ... wouldn't be surprised if/when that happens, but I would be crushed. FtW was an original along with the Poly and Contemporary.
While I’ve never stayed at a fort myself I would be devastated if they got rid of it entirely. My mom grew up camping there on a yearly basis.

Would be very sad if this happens. I have a lot of memories from when I was young and now from my kids going. I always thought I would see my grandkids there one day.
I think they relocate it. The campground folks will really throw a fit if this happens and I think Disney cares about them more than they let on.

They get $160 a night in dec for a concrete pad, electricity and cable. And the only cleaning they have to do is hose it down when someone checks out. There is no way they get rid of the Fort.
There is plenty of other land along the Lake they can bulldoze.

That’s such a large area. I’m not sure they would replace it entirely.

That said I’m sure they are looking at ways to make more money off the property.

I don't think it would happen all at once but rather start with a small portion and slowly expand with new buildings over the years. Have to see what they have planned for River Country first, but I wouldn't be surprised. Of course I'd rather they leave it there, it's a very unique experience they offer and it's not like they don't have plenty of land elsewhere to do things, but unfortunately that's not how they seem to think right now.

I don't think it would happen all at once but rather start with a small portion and slowly expand with new buildings over the years. Have to see what they have planned for River Country first, but I wouldn't be surprised. Of course I'd rather they leave it there, it's a very unique experience they offer and it's not like they don't have plenty of land elsewhere to do things, but unfortunately that's not how they seem to think right now.
Not sure I get this...

What about Trails End?

Just when I think that they can't get any more greedy, they might just prove me wrong.
That's why I am not buying this yet. If it is due to construction they would have to close the entire building right? Also what about the stables near there? Would that then close as well? Those stables house the horses used in the Magic Kingdom.

Before getting angry, remember that not every rumor is true. I remember people getting upset over the cabana test at Magic Kingdom. Some people predicted luxury cabana popping up at every theme park.

Another time, people were angry over the paid Express Transportation that was tested. Some predicted that the only way to easily park hop in the future would be by paying extra.

Rumors are just rumors. Personally, I don't get upset until something actually gets announced.

I've said this before on the camping boards. I don't think they ever build another campground, despite massive demand, because there is no way a campground generates similar revenue per guest as the resorts, but I don't think they get rid of The Fort since it is basically a sunk infrastructure cost and is always jammed, regardless of being one of the most expensive campgrounds in the U.S.

That being said, there are such simple ways they could increase revenue from the campground it always blows my mind they don't. For one thing, limit the length of stays. When people come and stay for a month, you get low revenue annual pass folks, or people who stay in the campground more than go to the resorts. If they limited it to 10 days per month, 30 days in a year, revenue per guest would go up as you got more park goers and fewer long time stays. Cut it down to 5 people per site, and charge $20 per person over 5 per night extra. That would also help with the phantom booking problem. Tie stays to tickets. If you don't have a park ticket for every 2 or 3 days you stay at The Fort, you can't stay for more than 3 days. Tie holiday weekends and special events to tickets. You want to stay at Halloween? You need to have a park ticket for every day you stay.

If they did simple things like this, that campground would generate significantly more revenue. It would still lag, since campers tend to bring their own food, but it would be worth so much more money. And if it makes more money, they are less likely to do something stupid like bulldoze it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!