Hoping for a little guidance

KristineDaphne

Earning My Ears
We (my husband, dd7 and dd2) are headed down to Disney next week. My youngest daughter has language delays (not a big deal for our trip), and has been diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder. She is "seeker" and can rival Houdini in escaping and disapearing and was very tough to handle the last trip. She does great in our stroller, but once she is set free, refuses to be held for long periods of time and in lines tends to escape and cause alot of havoc (even with the harness, she wraps it around strangers and then manages to get away when we untangle the harness). Needless to say, last trip we did alot of walking around, a few fast passes, but ended up abandoning alot of lines.

Is there anyway that we can keep her in the stroller while waiting on line? If so, what do we do with it at the end of the line? I don't really know who to call about this or the right procedure...

Can anyone help?

If anyone was a candidate for a GAC which SHOULD, theoretically allow you to use the fast pass line, it's you and your DD. How difficult to have to abandon lines - tho I have been there myself with DS in the past who has Asperger's, complete with sensory "stuff". Get a dr's note and get the GAC. You have to approach each CM on an as needed basis, and what I founf last trip was that is was dependent on the mood? of the CM at FP.

I will also share with you that DS has been travelling since 2. When we took him on his first cruise when he was 3, I spent $50 on sensory "toys'" - little stuff with lights, moving parts, squishy feels, etc - none more than $5 @ - and I actually wrapped each one in some inexpensive wrapping paper - and kept a few in the backpack at all times. Whenever I needed him to be still, I would whip out another "present". My thinking was - if I am spending all this $ on vacation, why not spend a few dollars beforehand - like we shop ahead of time anyway - and help ensure a more peaceful trip?
Hope this helps a bit. Don't know about bringing the stroller on in... maybe someone else can help on that one!
Good luck!
melomouse:grouphug:

I appreciate the support. Yes, abondoning the lines was rough (especially when you knew if you could hold out for 15 more minutes you'd be there), but the looks of "can't you control your child" (and the answer is no - we can't), were a bit harder to take. Gabbie is a adorable, smiling, laughing 2 year old, but is not controllable in tight quarters :earseek: (in fact, she is still smiling and laughing as she runs as far from us as she can get - no fear, barely feels pain.... interesting combination and never a dull moment). Won't we start a riot if we use the fast pass lines without a fast pass?.... ugh.... I called the Early Intervention coordinator and they will write a note about her situation.... do we need to explain to every CM at every ride what we are doing?

My understanding is the GAC should be noted to allow you to use the stroller as a wheelchair and therefore you are allowed to keep it with you and she can stay in it through the que.

Others on board here should be able to answer the specifics of how it is handled at boarding.

You can stop at Guest Services at any of the parks (and I think Downtown Disney, but I'm not sure) and explain what your daughter's needs are. They don't need any documentation from a doctor or early intervention. You just need to be prepared to explain what her specific needs are.

There are various stamps that are available for the GAC's and it sounds like the "use stroller as wheelchair" fits your description of your needs best. The majority of the lines are mainstream access so with that accommodation you would just wait in the regular line, unless you've picked up fastpasses for the ride.

You won't, or at least shouldn't need to explain to every CM as long as the GAC is available with the appropriate stamp on it.

In all the years we've used one we've never had an issue come up.

Hope that helps!

Yes - Stop by Guest Services in any of the 4 main parks and explain your needs. You should be given a card that allows you to keep your DD in the stroller in lines. It's a Godsend. We used it when DS was younger (he has Downs). He was unable to stand for the long lines, but was fine as long as we had the stroller.

LisaB

O my gosh, reading about your DD sounds so much like my DD was at 2. She is now 8. She was assessed for sensory issues by age 3/4.

At WDW last year, we were given a GAC that allowed us to keep the stroller in line ups (often until the attraction, or sometimes we had to take her out a little bit before the attraction). With DD at 7 it helped out a lot (gave her her own space away from others and highly stimulating areas). Without that stamp on the GAC, I think she would have managed ok at age 7, but when she was 2, NO WAY!!!!!
So please go to guest services once you arrive and ask for a GAC. They want to hear about issues/concerns not really about an exact diagnose (since one child with a diagnose can handle things that another kid with the exact diagnsoe could not).

Figment1964 said:
You can stop at Guest Services at any of the parks (and I think Downtown Disney, but I'm not sure) and explain what your daughter's needs are. They don't need any documentation from a doctor or early intervention. You just need to be prepared to explain what her specific needs are.
The GAC (Guest Assistance Card) can be requested at Guest Services in the parks, but not at Downtown Disney.
You don't need a doctor letter; kust be able to explain her needs.
If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board, you will find that the last post in that thread is all about GACs.

:sunny: Thank you so much for all of your help. I've been very worried, about the trip, hoping we could make it through a couple of lines, but afraid that mostly my husband and older daughter would ride and I would just chase houdini around the park.

Being able to keep the stroller will make all the difference in the world.

Thanks so much for all your understanding and kind words.

kristine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter