Hotels in Monterey - any suggestions?

Tiggernut_jadie

<font color=blue>I have never had any sort of 'but
Hi all - hoping someone can help us out...

We've decided to have a night in Monterey in between Yosemite and San Francisco (hotels in both of these booked!). I'm looking for suggestions as to where to stay. Our budget won't run to a lot of the hotels in Monterey - we'd love to do the Monterey Bay Inn but there's no way we can afford it - so we're looking for a clean hotel not too far from Cannery Row (although we're happy to drive there so it doesn't have to be in walking distance!). We're looking for something less than $100 which is pretty much our maximum. I've been looking at Bed and Breakfast places as well as hotel/motels but most of them only do double rooms which are no good as we need room for 2 adults and one 9 year old.

Oh and just to say that the night in question is our 17th Wedding Anniversary so we'd like something a bit 'special' but it doesn't have to be a 'romantic' ;)place as we'll be sharing the room with our 9 year old DD!!!! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to your suggestions! :)

We used priceline to book a hotel in Monterey. Bid on the low side because you can always raise your bid. It quoted rooms at $250, so I bid $150 and got accepted, but I think I should have bid around $99. Live and learn I guess. It ended up being the Intercontinental which is on cannery row next to the aquarium. You just make a bid and see if they accept it. It is only guaranteed to be a room for 2 - but I called the hotel and asked if we could get 2 beds and they said to request it at check in. We are a family of 3, myself, DH and DS (15). I'll let you know how the hotel was when we get back.

I just got back from there on the 26th of June. Spent a week! What I have noticed if you stay in Seaside (which honestly it's hard to tell once you have left Monterey and entered Seaside) you can save quite a bit of money. You are still very close to all the attractions such as Cannery Row and the bay. Have a fun trip!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Seaside. It was very easy to get into Monterey and Cannery Row from this location. We also had a great view of the bay from our room.

Our budget won't run to a lot of the hotels in Monterey - we'd love to do the Monterey Bay Inn but there's no way we can afford it - so we're looking for a clean hotel not too far from Cannery Row (although we're happy to drive there so it doesn't have to be in walking distance!). We're looking for something less than $100 which is pretty much our maximum.

I'm a local, and I'm sorry to inform you that Monterey is one of the priciest areas you'll find. "Clean" and "under $100" just don't go together around here.

That said, it appears that Splash5 has been successful in getting reasonably priced accomodations here via Priceline. That may be a good avenue to try. You're welcome to PM me with what you've found, and I'll try my best to advise you about the desirability of the neighborhood. But be forewarned that I tend to be picky about such things. Personally, I wouldn't stay in most hotels in Seaside, for example; with a big exception for Embassy Suites, which is a great place.

-Bob

We stayed at the Best Western Monterey Beachfront last month. It's not fancy, but the room was very clean and directly on the beach. We paid $104 (AAA discount) per night for an oceanfront room. It is a quick drive to the attractions. (I guess it might be considered Seaside-ish but it has a Monterey address.) It was one of the best values of our 2-1/2 week Cali road trip and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

We stayed at the Intercontinental last summer (I think it had just opened in May) and it was beautiful. It is right in Cannery Row and you can walk to the Aquarium, shops and restaurants. We got it through Hotwire for $110/night.

We stayed at the cypress garden hotel and would not go back.
Ok but had a door interconnecting and was very noisy, also not the cleanest, but ok, had a fridge and micro which was handy.

We liked the Monterey Bay Lodge - it is on the trolley line that runs to the wharf and Cannery Row - the rooms were very nice, the bedding was pretty lush for a motel style location and the pool was fun
http://www.montereybaylodge.com/

Comments from a local's perspective --

The Intercontinental for $110 is a killer deal! High class hotel, perfect location. I can't believe you got it for $110! Congrats :thumbsup2

BW Beachfront for $104 is also a good deal. Old but neat motel right on the beach. Location is good for walking down the beach in the morning or evening, just OK for accessing other Monterey sights. Still, I wouldn't turn that down.

Embassy Suites is a good hotel. Depending on the price you paid, good deal.

Monterey Bay Lodge - never been in it, but its location across from El Estero park is wonderful. Feels like a quiet residential neighborhood, yet walking distance to the wharf and other sights.

Cypress Garden - while I've never been in that one either, typically the motels on Munras in Monterey are a lot better, cleaner, and safer than the ones on Fremont in Seaside. I would have expected this to be an OK place to stay. Sorry to hear it wasn't.

We stayed at the Howard Johnson's in Pacific Grove:

http://www.montereyhojo.net/

The inn is a converted town home complex located in a residential area just a short 5-7 minute walk to the Asilomar State Beach. The inn has different choices for the type of room needed. We stayed in one of the two-bedroom suites (two twin beds in one room, a king bed in the other) that had a balcony w/ two chairs and table. Both rooms had TVs with full cable TV access as well as DVD players. The room also had a microwave, sink and fridge. A really nice continental breakfast was provided (DD LOVED making waffles) every morning, which was really convenient. No A/C, which wasn't really needed while we were there, but there were ceiling fans in each room that we used. The room was not on ground level and there wasn't elevator access, but the stairs we climbed were not a big deal at all. DH easily carried the luggage up and down. We even parked our van just under our room in a two-car garage! Very, very easy access! :)

While some may think staying in Pacific Grove was out of the way, we thought it was very convenient. We had to pass all the major touristy spots to get back to our hotel, so it was easy access for dinner choices at the wharf, Cannery Row, or Lighthouse District in Pacific Grove. We also felt like we were getting away from the city, since the inn was surrounded by trees and in a very quiet area. We saw deer grazing right by our room one morning. :) The price per night was reasonable as well.

The previous poster mentioned the Asilomar Conference Grounds, which is across the street from where we were staying: http://www.visitasilomar.com/

We walked across this hotel/conference area to get to the beach. It also looked liked a really nice choice with reasonable prices as well. I read on their website that there are no TVs or telephone in the rooms, which may be an issue with some families, LOL!

HTH!

Comments from a local's perspective --

The Intercontinental for $110 is a killer deal! High class hotel, perfect location. I can't believe you got it for $110! Congrats :thumbsup2

BW Beachfront for $104 is also a good deal. Old but neat motel right on the beach. Location is good for walking down the beach in the morning or evening, just OK for accessing other Monterey sights. Still, I wouldn't turn that down.

Embassy Suites is a good hotel. Depending on the price you paid, good deal.

Monterey Bay Lodge - never been in it, but its location across from El Estero park is wonderful. Feels like a quiet residential neighborhood, yet walking distance to the wharf and other sights.

Cypress Garden - while I've never been in that one either, typically the motels on Munras in Monterey are a lot better, cleaner, and safer than the ones on Fremont in Seaside. I would have expected this to be an OK place to stay. Sorry to hear it wasn't.

Thanks, nothing better than a local perspective on things before making decisions!

Hi GrandBob,

Here's another question, if you don't mind. Have you heard about the Victorian Inn in Monterey? If so, is it a decent place to stay? It's on Cannery Row.

Thank you. :)

Have you heard about the Victorian Inn in Monterey? If so, is it a decent place to stay? It's on Cannery Row.

Have passed by it many times, though I've never been in it. It looks like a very nice hotel; and it's certainly very convenient to to tourist attractions. In general, the places on Cannery Row tend to be very nice.

-Bob

Asilomar,

We have stayed here and very much enjoyed the experience May be difficult to get into though. Also it is in Pacific Grove right next to Monterey.

http://www.visitasilomar.com/

I second the Asilomar suggestion, though it's not your typical hotel (no television, some rooms have a shared bathroom). Many of the buildings were designed by Julia Morgan of Hearst Castle fame. The beautiful wooded setting next to the ocean can't be beat and my kids and I love taking the short walk through the nature presevation area (via a raised walkway) to Asilomar Beach. We often stop at the heated swimming pool on our way back. Because Asilomar is owned by the State of California, the rates are VERY reasonable. Rooms are often available if not pre-booked by conferences or wedding parties.

Pacific Grove is a wonderful town and is very convenient to Cannery Row. The Aquarium is right on the border of PG. Def. stay in PG if you can, quaint, romantic, beautiful-just wonderful :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter