How bad is the mummy ride?

My 8 yo (almost 9) loves roller coasters. Was tall enough for Rip Ride Rockit last time we went and loved it and can't wait to be tall enough for The Hulk.

But The Mummy scares him too much from a theme perspective and he doesn't want to go on it again. He also got scared from the dinosaurs in the "dark" part in Jurassic River Adventure.

My DD won't do big outdoor coasters, but she'll do Mummy over and over and over again.

It reminds me a little of Splash Mountain in that you have a big build up - you go through a dark track ride with scary elements before you reach the fairly short coaster.

I just read on another thread that the Mummy ride has hills, yet on this thread it's compared more to Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain that has no hills. I don't do well with hills. I can tolerate the small hill on Expedition Everest but I can't do Splash Mountain. Does this ride have a "take away your stomach" hill? Thanks in advance.
Funny you say that. The drop on Everest is nearly twice the size of the one on Splash. Everest is 80', Splash is 49'. The biggest drop on The Mummy is 39'. There are a few other smaller hills as well.

Yes, the height difference on Splash Mountain vs Everest is surprising, but I think it's either the speed or the way the ride moves on the hill that makes Splash feel so much worse for me. I know Everest curves at the end of the hill instead of finishing straight like Splash and it certainly feels a lot faster than Splash (maybe that's because the terror I feel on Splash makes time go so much slower for me :)).

I don't know why but I found the Mummy to be WAY more intense then space mountain. I got the feeling of going backwards/ upside down. I would compare it more to Everest for me personally.

My 8 yo also loves coasters but won't ride mummy because it's too scary. He also won't do Jurassic Park because of the inside part. The mummy is my favorite ride, definitely more comparable to Thunder Mountain than anything with a big drop.

My 7 year old rode the Mummy about 750 times last month. (To be fair she loves coasters and did the Hulk and Hollywood RRR about the same number of times - she is tall for her age).

We saw young kids and older people go on the Mummy and have a nice time. It's what I call a gateway coaster. It's great to get your feet wet. Coming from a sports background my family viewed it as a warmup - a great way to start the day at Universal. Probably our favorite coaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!