How best to go about checking out resorts in person?

I made a real estate purchase once sight unseen and will never make that mistake again.

I bought SSR sight unseen, and will never even go there, if all goes to plan. I only plan to hold this for like 10 years.

It's not really possible to see EVERYTHING you a buying, because of the points based system, and this isn't the fairest comparison.

I would make sure you have seen the ones you are most interested in. But playing with availability and points to make sure you know what you are buying is the most important part.

So if I bought DVC and booked far enough ahead could I count on getting those rooms? What about a building with elevator too?
You just add the request to your reservation that you want South Point or Turtle Pond or you could ask for a villa with the door through the laundry room to the bathroom.

If you're going to be staying near disney springs -- I would plan on walking to disney springs and then take a bus to AKV. I don't know what time buses start running from DS -- so that could be an issue if it's early in the AM. If no buses to the resorts -- you can either bus to animal kingdom park and then bus to the resort -- or just grab an uber/lyft directly to AKV. In my experience, the guards usually don't care about uber dropoffs, but YMMV. They can be quite restrictive about BLT/contemporary b/c too many people were getting dropped off there instead of using the TTC.

At AKV, you'll want to check out both of the lobbies and maybe ask if you can poke your head into the various restaurants. I would then walk between Kidani and Jambo. While you're in Kidani -- go into the lobby and go up the elevators and then walk to the end of one of the halls. THEY ARE EXTREMELY LONG. Realize that you might get stuck with one of these rooms way off in the distance.

I would try and schedule a DVC tour at SSR. The beauty is they'll come and pick you up from AKV and drop you off at the DVC building. Do the hour-long tour and then pick up some free ice cream and maybe a gift card. From here -- you can walk around SSR and when you're done, go back to the DVC office and ask to be taken directly to the next resort. RIV might be a good option.

Spend 30-45 minutes walking the grounds at RIV and then hop on the skyliner and head to epcot. From there, you can walk to both BCV and BWV -- I wouldn't mess with taking the boats between the two of them. You'll be able to walk into the pool area of BWV but not BCV or RIV. Those both requires MBs to enter.

After that -- jump on a bus to head to MK. Then walk to BLT. (there really isn't a lot to see at BLT)

From there, find the boat dock on the backside and take a boat trip to Wilderness lodge (CCV/BRV). Grab some food at Geyser point...especially if the weather is pleasant.

From here -- You might want to boat back to BLT and ride the resort monorail and do a quick look at both Poly and VGF. Even if you don't want to stay at either - you can get a good vibe for potential dining options while staying at BLT. The resort monorail, if working properly, takes about 20 minutes to make a complete loop...so each stop is about 4-5 minutes, which includes the loading/unloading and travel times. You might even consider going to the TTC and switching to the epcot line so you see how that works.

If you take the epcot monorail, you can then board a resort bus to OKW and finish up your tour. Take the boat back to DS and walk back to your resort.

Old Key West, Saratoga Springs Resort, Bay Lake Towers, Animal Kingdom Villas and BoardWalk / Beach Club

Didn't read it all but this is the best plan if it were me.
  • From Disney Springs boat to SSR
  • Walk to OKW (1 mile)
  • Bus to Magic Kingdom
  • Walk to BLT (.5 mile)
  • Bus to Hollywood Studios
  • Boat to BCV
  • Walk to BWV (.25 mile)
  • Walk to Hollywood Studios (.5 mile)
  • Bus to AKV - Kidani
  • Walk to AKV - Jambo (.4 mile)
  • Bus back to where you want to go (Disney Spring or a Park)
There is more walking than what I called out but that is just the extra walking you are not doing around the resort.

Also you don't really need to ask to look around. Possibly in the restaurants but you can get in to the entry area to see inside before you get to the hostess stand.

Didn't read it all but this is the best plan if it were me.
  • From Disney Springs boat to SSR
  • Walk to OKW (1 mile)
  • Bus to Magic Kingdom
  • Walk to BLT (.5 mile)
  • Bus to Hollywood Studios
  • Boat to BCV
  • Walk to BWV (.25 mile)
  • Walk to Hollywood Studios (.5 mile)
  • Bus to AKV - Kidani
  • Walk to AKV - Jambo (.4 mile)
  • Bus back to where you want to go (Disney Spring or a Park)
There is more walking than what I called out but that is just the extra walking you are not doing around the resort.

Also you don't really need to ask to look around. Possibly in the restaurants but you can get in to the entry area to see inside before you get to the hostess stand.

Nice analysis. Now if we can get someone to program a computer simulation that will test the quickest method to complete this loop, he will ready for the "grand tour". 😆 😆 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!