How best to go about checking out resorts in person?

Saratoga and OKW can also be entered by free boat ride from Disney Springs Marina. Probably the easiest way in.

So we will be able to walk around and check those out? Sorry, but I'm getting different stories about the ability to check out the resorts?

I don't think there is anything preventing you from walking from the Contemporary to BLT on the ground floor or via the bridge that connects them. There is not much to check out except the lobby and the DVC member bar on the top floor. You need to be a member to access that.

So we will be able to walk around and check those out? Sorry, but I'm getting different stories about the ability to check out the resorts?

Yes, you can walk around and check them out. At Saratoga there is a DVC "selling place" That has models of some of the resorts. They will be glad to discuss options with you.

No you can't. In prior years this was true, but not today. You must have a reason, not just "looking around". A dinner reservation is a valid reason. If going to Boardwalk, you can claim shopping too, I would guess. We were turned away 3 weeks ago from the RIV, had to make a back entrance through the Skyliner. Busses can always be used to avoid the guard.

Who turned you away? You walked up to the resort on foot and someone questioned why you were there and said you could not be there?

Of course, most resorts have a pool, pool bar, store, restaurants, etc.... BLT use the Contemporary for some of these services, so not as much to see.

Who turned you away? You walked up to the resort on foot and someone questioned why you were there and said you could not be there?

We drove to the entrance gate in our car and the guard turned us away. 3 weeks ago. Came in through the Skyliner from the back side of Epcot later and avoided the guard. Next night made dinner reservations at Topolino's, and of course the guard did let us in for that.

I don't know how you would walk up to RIV on foot.

No you can't. In prior years this was true, but not today. You must have a reason, not just "looking around". A dinner reservation is a valid reason. If going to Boardwalk, you can claim shopping too, I would guess. We were turned away 3 weeks ago from the RIV, had to make a back entrance through the Skyliner. Busses can always be used to avoid the guard.

There is a big difference between walking in and arriving in a car. I assume you were turned away when you arrived in a motor vehicle.

There is a big difference between walking in and arriving in a car. I assume you were turned away when you arrived in a motor vehicle.

The OP has asked how he can “check out” these resorts. You don’t generally arrive on foot. But, yes, he can “walk into” most of these. For some it’s a darned long walk.

All you have to do to get into RIV right now is say you want to buy DVC and want to see the place.

That’s exactly what we said. The guard at the gate directed us to turn around and go to Saratoga Springs to see a model, that all reservations to view had to be booked in advance. Our access was denied.

That’s exactly what we said. The guard at the gate directed us to turn around and go to Saratoga Springs to see a model, that all reservations to view had to be booked in advance. Our access was denied.

The OP doesn’t have a car and will be using Disney transportation. No one will turn him away. Many people check out resorts during their stays.

If you are arriving on Disney Transportation and not your own car, you can walk around any resort you like. You can take the Skyliner to Riviera is you like from DHS (you can take a bus from a resort to DHS). You can take a boat to SSR and OKW from Disney Springs. You can take a bus from SSR and OKW to any theme park like MK and then walk to BLT and monorail to Polynesian and GF. You can take a small boat from Contemporary to WL to see CCV and BRV. To get to Disney Springs, just walk across the street from the Hilton to Disney Springs. The boat dock is near House of Blues to SSR and OKW (two separate boats).

In summary after reading all the replies: If I arrive using Disney Transportation then I should be good to walk around and get a feel for the DVC resorts such as the lobby, pool(s), restaurants, etc. I should also book a couple of my meals at the resort. Don't expect to see any rooms, but ask anyway on the off chance one is open to show. Thanks everyone!

You can see the rooms in Riviera for sure, but you should make a reservation prior. The week we went, showings at the resort were booked up, and to see a model room we had to go to the main DVC office in Saratoga Springs. You can pop in there anytime and someone will show you a model room.

We took a tour of BLT after it opened and I remember the guide telling us only members are allowed on the bridge to BLT. BLT to me, is location and nothing else. I already went through the 70's and don't want to go back as I didn't like the brown and orange decor back then. Rooms are tiny as well but many people love BLT so do your homework online as far as floor plans and videos of the villas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter