How do you buy and cool your alcohol for a Disney cruise?

nj1k

Earning My Ears
Will be going on a 7 night cruise this Saturday on the Disney Fantasy. I know we are allowed 2 bottles of wine or a 6 pack of beer.

What's the best place to buy this, given that we get in at 10pm the night before, are staying at the Hyatt MCO and taking the Disney ground transfer the next day?

I am scared to put in the alcohol with my checked luggage for fear that it might break and ruin everything.

Any suggestions?

I am scared to put in the alcohol with my checked luggage for fear that it might break and ruin everything.

If purchased at home, it will have to go in your checked luggage due to the 3-1-1 rule for liquids through TSA. However, DCL requires that it be in your carry-on to board the ship.

If you want to buy in FL after arriving, and since you are staying at the airport Hyatt, I believe some people have taken a taxi/uber to the nearest ABC liquor store. Or I think I've read ABC will deliver? Otherwise, there isn't much options since you are taking the DCL transfers. If you take private transfers, you can often schedule a stop (grocery or liquor store or wherever you choose) on the way to port. Just remember to carry it onboard.

Enjoy your cruise!

Getting it... Either wrap it securely in your checked bag for the flight (as pointed out it must be in carry-on to board the ship) - that can be done...I got bottles of red home from Italy in luggage no issues - or you would have to go somewhere when you land or the next morning (and unless things have changed if boarding day is Sunday that might not be possible until after noon).

Chilling it? What is that? Switch to red wine! Easy peasy no chilling needed! :P

My mother, a red wine aficionado, swears by the Jet Bags for her wine. As for chilling, ask your room attendant to bring you ice in the bucket and place your bottle in there.

We are looking into delivery services, there are a lot of apps that will assist with delivery from Publix and ABC to Hyatt MCO.... we usually just bring wine and don't have reason to chill, however in the past when we've bought beer, we just put them in the fridge when we get there and order a drink of the day or whatever so the beer has time to get cold... a twelve pack on a 7 nighter will go quick so might as well get a cold brew when you get on the ship all knowing you're saving yourself money because you brought it with you and it's chilling in the room ;)

Thanks for all the advice, I am liking the delivery app idea. Time to sign up for instacart!

Thanks for all the advice, I am liking the delivery app idea. Time to sign up for instacart!
If you end up using it please report back, we are at MCO for our May cruise and would love to hear your experience!

We used Instacart when we were at Disney in August - super easy! And if your shopper gets to the store and they don't have what you want they will text you pictures for replacement items. Alcohol delivery requires you to be present but you can select a one hour window - and your shopper will text you when they are nearby. Loved using it!!

It would seem though if you need to taxi to get it, or have it delivered, it would defeat the purpose of saving $$ so you might as well wait until you get on board.

I don't think it would defeat the purpose. I am sure delivery (if they charge) would still be less than purchasing your own booze on the ship

MJ

I don't think it would defeat the purpose. I am sure delivery (if they charge) would still be less than purchasing your own booze on the ship

MJ

For a six pack of beer it would because I did the price comparison, not sure on wine though. You'd probably spend about $10-$20 on a bottle of wine (avg) off ship, not sure what they'd charge per bottle on board.

Will be going on a 7 night cruise this Saturday on the Disney Fantasy. I know we are allowed 2 bottles of wine or a 6 pack of beer.

What's the best place to buy this, given that we get in at 10pm the night before, are staying at the Hyatt MCO and taking the Disney ground transfer the next day?

Any suggestions?

You can also see if you can use a delivery service. There's several that are mentioned for Disney World. This includes Amazon Prime Pantry, Garden Grocer, Safeway, etc. It's also a great way to get some additional snacks or beverages that you may want for the cruise and excursions (e.g., chips, cookies, water, etc.) Not sure if they will deliver to the Hotel, or if the Hotel will allow delivery, but might be worth exploring.

For a six pack of beer it would because I did the price comparison, not sure on wine though. You'd probably spend about $10-$20 on a bottle of wine (avg) off ship, not sure what they'd charge per bottle on board.

Well I know I can get Beringer White Zin for about $7.99 and they want $29 onboard....crazy.

The Selbach-Oster Reisling I can get for under $20 and is $45 onboard.

MJ

I second the purchase of Jet Bags. LOVE them. They are reusable, and check very well into your checked luggage. I would encourage you to put the bottles in neck side down though, makes the zipper feel more secure. I have always just checked the wine and spirits through and then shifted them to a carry-on before arriving at port.

We wrapped two bottles of wine in beach towels and I split a six pack into two ziplocks and put them in our checked bag for the flight, then transferred to our carry on before the cruise. Didn't have any issues with breaking at all. Not even a dent on any of the cans. If you have the room with the weight and can pack them tightly you should be fine to get them at home before. I thought about taking an Uber from ASM before our cruise for a six pack because I was worrying about flying with them. But after the cost of the Uber and the time needed to do this it just wasn't worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!