How do you combat your Disney blues?

That being said, when I find myself fixating on Disney--when all I want to think about is planning my next trip or obsessing over park histories--that's usually a reaction to my regular life being stressful and my brain seeking an escape. So I try to stop, examine what's going on, and identify sources of stress in my life that I can let go of, as well as positive things in my day-to-day existence in which I can reinvest my energy. When I'm able to live more in the present and enjoy my regular life, the Disney Blues largely go away.

Relate to this SO much - I think this is exactly what's happening right now (work has gotten hugely stressful since I came back from my honeymoon a month ago!) and my Disney obsession has gotten a bit out of control in the same time period - I've latched on to this upcoming trip (which is still far too far in the future for me to be this obsessive about it!) as a release. Definitely time to reinvest my energy and focus on the positive.

I find that perusing the picture threads in the Theme Parks Community sub-forum to be another good way to get a Disney fix. I especially enjoy the details, details, and more details thread as it is fun to see if I can identify where the detail is located. Helps to drag the Disney memories back to the surface.

Normally when I have the Disney blues, it's because we just came back from a trip and will have a long wait until the next. (After our 1st trip it took us 2.5 years to get back. This time it's only 1 year, but that's not our norm. After November, next trip will probably be 3-5 years. 😭 ) I spend a few weeks hanging out here, maybe buy a few Disney things off Etsy that I can use in my everyday life, and organize our photos. But after that I have to force myself to focus on something else and not do anything else Disney-related. Otherwise I'll spend months or years sad about not being at Disney. I usually can't even scrapbook our photos right away. I enjoy it more after the next trip is scheduled, when I can work on them with anticipation rather than sadness.

OP has an upcoming trip, so I'd handle it differently than the post-Disney blues. I'd research more things to do and tweak my touring plans, scrapbook last trip's photos if I haven't already, make a list of photos I want to try to take and snacks/meals I want to eat, decide what will go in the park bag, hang out here, and maybe listen to Disney music and podcasts.

I am leaving on August 14th. I generally avoid walk-through/ride-through videos, as I am concerned they will spoil details I may have forgotten about. (i.e. sections of attractions which might surprise me next time).

I am a huge fan of listening to the WDW channel music and the video with Stacey saying 'what you must do' (the two things they have on the tv, I'm on my work computer so can't link them here :rolleyes1).

It's interesting that I am especially experiencing the Disney Blues after FP day yesterday. I am glad I am not the only one.

As far as for when I come back, we have done annual August trips (this is 4th year in a row). So I try and sort of put it out of my mind until about October when it is time to think about the next one. I think its a different approach then most, but it is just such a bleak feeling returning with no trip currently planned. First world problems, am I right?

This community is great, I just get involved with either blogs/youtube channels etc. Helps stem the blues. I have a new job so I haven't been writing much, but this next trip will give me plenty of ammo.

Well, I had the unenviable task of cancelling our family trip for later this year due to me losing my job back in January (I'm still out of job), so not only was I getting excited about going and having fun planning, but I had to cancel all those plans. :( However, I am still planning on going, and will, once I get a job and can get the vacation time. Having said, I watch a lot of Disney videos on YouTube as well as scan the Dis. I also talk Disney with a good friend of mine who's into Disney like I am.

Relate to this SO much - I think this is exactly what's happening right now (work has gotten hugely stressful since I came back from my honeymoon a month ago!) and my Disney obsession has gotten a bit out of control in the same time period - I've latched on to this upcoming trip (which is still far too far in the future for me to be this obsessive about it!) as a release. Definitely time to reinvest my energy and focus on the positive.
I’m getting ahead of the curve! My next Disney trip is with my 20-year-old daughter in August, but I made an offer on a resale contract for the Disney Vacation Club last week. I’ve been joking about doing it for about 20 years.

I’m getting ahead of the curve! My next Disney trip is with my 20-year-old daughter in August, but I made an offer on a resale contract for the Disney Vacation Club last week. I’ve been joking about doing it for about 20 years.

Mazel tov! Welcome to the DVC family!

Good luck with ROFR!

I browse a few message boards and I am on two different FB DVC groups (I just browse here and there when I have time).

A very good friend of mine is also a DVC member as well as my two sons and a brother. We are always talking about Disney, DVC and DCL. Always planning, talking about our upcoming vacations, dining plans, etc. etc.

The Disney blues hit me HARD today! In part because our next trip is so far away (2 years) and also because I tried to talk DH into a “quick trip” this Sept and he shot me down. Some of the previous posters mentioned escapism and maybe that’s a piece of it but we are taking a trip to the Caribbean next year and I’m much less interested in planning it than I am in planning our next trip to Disney. Disney just does it better! I’m about to watch The Imagineering Story on Disney+, idk if it will help or make my Disney blues worse haha.

I make Mickey Waffles, listen to park music on YouTube and my shoprite now carries Mickey icecream. It's not as good as the one in the parks but it is still Mickey shaped!

I watch all the vlogs I can, and when I get back to the UK I edit all our photos and videos into a holiday video to watch back with family ( the remaining vids and photos from our last trip amounted to 165gb 🙊🙊🙊) which takes a while!!!

My friends all make fun of me!! I was at WDW almost 2 years ago, went to DL in August and am going in May 2020 but it seems so far away right now. I love Disney but even more than that I love the escape from reality, time with family, and relaxation even more. I just have the winter blues right now I think.

I’m sitting at Boardwalk Villas now and thinking about the trip home Tuesday morning. Every day at home is a Disney day in some way. I make waffles, talk about it to my family, plan the next trip—which is never far away thanks to dvc.

Our next trip is April for Star Wars rundisney weekend. My daughter is running the challenge and we’ll eke out a five day trip out of that. This last trip was thirteen nights—heaven!

This is a good year though. Our APs are active so we will have several trips on it. Then a year off and Disney withdrawal.

Youtube is also a wonderful tool!

This probably isn't a popular opinion here, but for long gaps I have to take a full Disney break. It's one thing if we just finished a trip and have another one to plan and look forward to a year later. In that case, I can do a lot of the things mentioned in this thread. But when our next trip is 2-3 years away (or more 😭) all the reminders just make it harder. After we get back I spend a few weeks "closing out" the trip (organizing the photos, answering questions here, etc.) and then need to step back from all things Disney World. If I don't, I find myself unable to move on and pricing vacations that I know we aren't going to take.

I definitely get more and more active on these boards before a trip. I'm 5 weeks from my next trip and I'm in agony! So near yet so far.

We are taking this year off so we can save more for our honeymoon in 2021 and the Disney blues are starting to hit. I booked almost one years ago today for our 2019 trip because free dining came out so early. My Fiancee and I were talking over the weekend and I said that about a year ago we booked our trip and started planning for it. We still watch the Youtube Disney World videos but I already miss the planning process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!