How do you define underrated/overrated?

disneyland_is_magic

DIS Veteran
Okay, I seriously pulled out a dictionary because the last B&W floored me.
I consider something to be underrated if there is either some element to it being a “hidden gem” or if it’s widely panned while actually having genuine value. I don’t know how People Mover was even in the running for “best underrated attraction.” As a DL fan it’s one of the few things we envy WDW for. And I literally can’t think of another non-eticket attraction the Dis shows more love and mentions more often and always positively. I don’t think I have ever seen anything really negative about it, while maybe it’s not a “must do e ticket” it wasn’t intended to be.
I also was surprised Carousel of Progress and Country Bear Jamboree were even in the running. I think some people want COP updated but I have never felt that was unreasonable or overstated. CBJ is again something DL doesn’t have so I again I was perplexed.

Do WDW fans really view the PM as a poor ride or waste of time? I thought they were beloved classsics. Including the PM made it not just differing opinions, it made it feel like they phone this one in.

I consider something to be underrated if there is either some element to it being a “hidden gem” or if it’s widely panned while actually having genuine value. I don’t know how People Mover was even in the running for “best underrated attraction.” As a DL fan it’s one of the few things we envy WDW for. And I literally can’t think of another non-eticket attraction the Dis shows more love and mentions more often and always positively. I don’t think I have ever seen anything really negative about it, while maybe it’s not a “must do e ticket” it wasn’t intended to be.
I also was surprised Carousel of Progress and Country Bear Jamboree were even in the running. I think some people want COP updated but I have never felt that was unreasonable or overstated. CBJ is again something DL doesn’t have so I again I was perplexed.

Do WDW fans really view the PM as a poor ride or waste of time? I thought they were beloved classsics. Including the PM made it not just differing opinions, it made it feel like they phone this one in.

It seems their approach was thinking of newer Disney goers. If you know little to nothing about those attractions they would be easy overlook

For most of us on these boards it was preaching to the choir.

The last video LITERALLY had "...with the shortest waits" in the title of the video.....

Soooo, that's probably why the video was like that.

Well maybe they will invent the term “wait per value” as well. But I don’t think it matters what qualifiers they add, long or short wait times, it is beloved and almost no one has a negative opinion on it, it simply isn't underrated.

I don't think something has to have a general negative view to be underrated - I see more as about hype and if a mething is viewed as a "must do" and like how in demand (or not) FPs for an attraction are.

That is why I view something like Peter Pan's Flight or even 7 Dwarfs Mine Train as "over rated" - not because they are in reality not good, but because the hype around them, the effort it takes to ride is disproportionate to the enjoyment of the ride

Whereas something like People Mover or Tiki Birds to me is "underrated" in that not that people think it is bad, but that the enjoyement of doing to ride vs the effort to get to ride it is very high

The last video LITERALLY had "...with the shortest waits" in the title of the video.....

Soooo, that's probably why the video was like that.
The way I typically look at podcasts hid the wait times portion of the description. I guess I didn't look further because I enjoy the Best and Worst episodes and "underrated rides" was enough to get me to listen.

Went back and looked just now and laughed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-08-12-32-14.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-08-12-32-14.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2020-02-08-12-32-25.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-08-12-32-25.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 14
One last point, if Disney has seen enough interest to create ride specific merchandise, it isn’t underrated by Disney or the fans. It’s possible to have ride specific merchandise and be overrated, yes but that level of attention makes it hard to call it underrated.

Last edited:

No, @disneyland_is_magic - I literally interpret underrated the same way you do, only you explain it a lot better than I would. :thumbsup2

I'll also join those who have said something like the People Mover is cherished among Disney fans, and I also think those that are able to "take time, and smell the flowers" in their normal lives, regardless of Disney love, and how many times they've been, but not by a lot of the general population, who are not type of "kick back and relax at a theme park" type of person. It just brings that kind of person, and vibe to it. The monorail, to me, has also been an "attraction", not just a "mode of transportation", and it is always a first day tradition for me - take it once during daylight, to enjoy the sparkling beauty of everything in the sunlight, then again at night, to catch the magic of the twinkling lights, etc. I'm sure I would do the same thing with the SkyLiner. But a lot of people I know - even Disney lovers - think I"m weird in those feelings. (However - I will admit - I have not SMELLED the monorail in 7 years! I might not love it so much now!) :rotfl2:

I know a lot of people I've talked to/helped plan trips for over the years only want to go on the "cool/thrill ride type" things, or things they've heard about, or seen in the commercials - Space Mountain, RNRC, Tower of Terror, etc. And yes, most of them have either been first-timers, and/or it is their "one and done, trip of a lifetime". I've even had people come back and tell me I was stupid or lame for suggesting they do Pirates, or Small World, or COP because they weren't "thrilling" enough. I didn't even bother trying to explain Walt's or Disney's legacy, or the evolution of audioanimatronics, or any of that to them. And I've also been told Universal or Busch Gardens (and especially Cedar Point) were MUCH better, because of all the coaster/thrill rides, while Disney sucked. Seriously.

I will also say that I personally stopped watching mot of the Best and Worst shows a long time ago because they seemed like they were mostly really reaching for things to talk about, and rank, and I got bored and apathetic, because I felt that being projected out to me. Just IMHO, and maybe, since I didn't watch it, the WEDWay episode (see what I did there?) :o;) fell victim to that.

My simple definitions.

Overrated: Long wait time. Awful experience.

Underrated: Short wait time. Great experience.

One last point, if Disney has seen enough interest to create ride specific merchandise, it isn’t underrated by Disney or the fans. It’s possible to have ride specific merchandise and be overrated, yes but that level of attention makes it hard to call it underrated.

That is an interesting point, and certainly points to those rides not being underrated by a certain group of people

Actually with the people mover I have also seen wait times much higher in recent years than in the past. I think it used to be underrated but is now properly rated

One last point, if Disney has seen enough interest to create ride specific merchandise, it isn’t underrated by Disney or the fans.

I would love a die cast Peoplemover, like they have die cast Monorails, parking lot trams, buses, planes, Test Track cars, Skyliner cars, etc.
Even better, use the existing powered monorail set they have, and make a Peoplemover version that works on the same track.

I would love a die cast Peoplemover, like they have die cast Monorails, parking lot trams, buses, planes, Test Track cars, Skyliner cars, etc.
Even better, use the existing powered monorail set they have, and make a Peoplemover version that works on the same track.

Can it have a speaker in it with the classic soundtrack guy going "Noooowwwww approaching" every 15 seconds? Now THAT I'd hand a whole lot of money over for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter