How Do You Do the Two Week Trip?

dakotix

DIS Dad #852 from Central Massachusetts
I'm curious how others spend those amazing 10-day to two week trips to Disney? Last time we did this we opted to take our parents for part of the trip. It was fun but for our next long trip we are not planning to include extended family. I'm curious how both couples and families plan these types of trips.

I'm curious how others spend those amazing 10-day to two week trips to Disney? Last time we did this we opted to take our parents for part of the trip. It was fun but for our next long trip we are not planning to include extended family. I'm curious how both couples and families plan these types of trips.

We are doing an 11 day trip starting on Saturday. We are doing no parks on our first and last day as we are staying in Fort Wilderness with our camper so we will require some time to setup and tear down. That leaves us with 9 full days. We are spending two days at each park except for HS (only one day - since there are no rides to go on). The other two days are hanging around our resort one day and the other is Disney Springs. We toyed with the idea of doing Universal one day but the cost for one day was crazy so we scratched that.

We are doing an 11 day trip starting on Saturday. We are doing no parks on our first and last day as we are staying in Fort Wilderness with our camper so we will require some time to setup and tear down. That leaves us with 9 full days. We are spending two days at each park except for HS (only one day - since there are no rides to go on). The other two days are hanging around our resort one day and the other is Disney Springs. We toyed with the idea of doing Universal one day but the cost for one day was crazy so we scratched that.

That's similar to what we're planning although we usually do park-free day or two in the middle of our trip. We usually plan a late flight on the last day so we can spend the morning at the MK.

Enjoy your trip! Jealous!

Going for 10 days starting Nov 26. It will be my boyfriend's first time and my 7th. He has absolutely no idea about anything so is no help planning anything for the trip. I have given him books and websites to look at, but I think because it is 6 months away he is having trouble getting "excited" right now. Anyway, having been there 6 times I know there is a lot to do and I am the "go go go" on vacation type, where you need a vacation when you get home from your vacation. He is a "relax relax relax" vacation type, which is tough at Disney. LOL I have had to make dining reservations on previous trips, but the fastpass system is different. I hate that you have to plan so much, miss the days of just hopping on whatever bus comes first. I am hoping I can try to make it a little slower paced for him with 10 days and not have to rush around to get everything done. We have a super early flight the first day, so we can get in some park time right away.

This s
Going for 10 days starting Nov 26. It will be my boyfriend's first time and my 7th. He has absolutely no idea about anything so is no help planning anything for the trip. I have given him books and websites to look at, but I think because it is 6 months away he is having trouble getting "excited" right now. Anyway, having been there 6 times I know there is a lot to do and I am the "go go go" on vacation type, where you need a vacation when you get home from your vacation. He is a "relax relax relax" vacation type, which is tough at Disney. LOL I have had to make dining reservations on previous trips, but the fastpass system is different. I hate that you have to plan so much, miss the days of just hopping on whatever bus comes first. I am hoping I can try to make it a little slower paced for him with 10 days and not have to rush around to get everything done. We have a super early flight the first day, so we can get in some park time right away.

This story mirrors how I introduced my husband to Disney. He was absolutely confused by my zeal to plan everything out and was completely bewildered at my excitement during it all. In his mind it was a trip that not unlike going to Six Flags. He had no idea.

On the way home from Disney he was dancing a jig (literally) at Orlando International Airport Mickey ears and all. His mouse ears stayed on his head on the flight home, on the drive home. I think he actually may have slept in them. My reaction was simply "Mission Accomplished". We've been to Disney every year (sometimes twice a year) ever since.

I'm doing a 10 day this August I will try to post how it was. We are going my whole family, My sister's whole family and a friend. So 14 total people. But we aren't planning on doing everything together just some meals and some days.

Having done the 2 week trip, twice. I realized that 11 to 12 days is best for us.
We do 2 days and day 3 is to relax. Either at the resort, water park, or leisurely drives somewhere. We tend to sleep late and go to bed early on the 3rd day.
Travel days are utilized like day 3.

We did a two week trip for our first trip as a family. We only did a park every other day. On our off days we slept in, went to the pool, Disney Springs, dinner at other resorts, the hotel arcades. My daughter can get overstimulated and even at home if she’s going all week and on the weekend she’ll burn out. Some days we just hang out in the condo and she plays with her toys and watches TV!

We come from the UK to do all Disney and Universal parks, first day is write off as we are flying for most of it, so we land, check in, eat at a restaurant at DS, then hit the hay, day after to get over the jet lag we go shopping at the malls.

Then it's parks parks parks, we slot in the water parks between every couple of main parks so we can relax and have slight lie ins, but it is pretty relentless.

Wouldn't have it any other way though if I'm honest pirate:

By the end of Day 3, I hit a wall. So, I tour three days, take a chill day. Repeat.

We come from the UK to do all Disney and Universal parks, first day is write off as we are flying for most of it, so we land, check in, eat at a restaurant at DS, then hit the hay, day after to get over the jet lag we go shopping at the malls.

Then it's parks parks parks, we slot in the water parks between every couple of main parks so we can relax and have slight lie ins, but it is pretty relentless.

Wouldn't have it any other way though if I'm honest pirate:

Yea our instinct is to go go go! But we force ourselves to relax every few days. This is a vacation afterall!

After many yearly 6-7 night visits, DW and I made a couple of 10 night visits to WDW. They were quite relaxed. To start off, we arrived a bit later in the day then we previously did. That allowed for a more relaxed travel day, not having to get up before dawn. We planned for a couple of "off" days during our stay where we slept in and then decided what we wanted to do. One of the days was a wash day where we spent some time in the laundry. Since it was neither our first or last trip we had no urgency to do "everything". We planned for morning EMH rope drops at each of the four parks. Since we stayed at the Boardwalk with hoppers (or AP's) we wandered over to Epcot a lot. We also took a day and rope dropped SeaWorld. That left us a couple of days to return to whatever park we wanted.

Another thing I did was take an additional day or two off from work before and after the trip to allow myself to prepare for and recover from the travel.

Last edited:
We just did 10 nights. We had over night flights to arrive so we're at our room by 10am and rested and swam. Day 2 HS,Day 3 AK, Day 4 DS/rest, Day 5 MK(8am to 12pm!), Day 6. Rest/DS dinner. Day 7 EP, Day 8 MK, Day 9 Bb, day 10 lunch DS rest/pool day. Day 11 movie as DS and flight home that afternoon.

We did 10 nights 3 years ago and are doing 11 nights in September. Our arrival days are always low key - mid afternoon arrival, check in, check out the resort a bit and then head to DS for dinner. Since we are going for so many days we don't feel like we need to jump out of bed for rope drop or early breakfast reservations. We try to be at breakfast by 1030a. Prior to arrival we set up the park we plan to go to and stay until park close. We plan at least 1 day at Universal Studios, 1 day at the pool and 1 day at DS.

We arrive Monday for a 10-day trip. We don’t plan any parks on our first or last day. On our first day we like to get settled in, explore the resort, swim, and eat a nice dinner. On our last day we like to sleep in, pack, eat a nice lunch, and then head home. We always plan for one down day in the middle of our trip to sleep in. We sometimes hit up a water park later in the day. The other days we hit the parks at rope drop, head back to the resort to rest and swim, and then back out to a different park to finish out the day.

The beauty of longer trips is we get to relax and enjoy the trip. We don’t feel like we have to keep going, going, going to see and do everything. We appreciate and need a more laid back and easy-going trip.

Lots of stop and smell the roses moments: hidden mickeys, watching the street shows, not stressing about weather/rain. You don’t feel compelled to “do it all” because you know you’ll be back in a few days.

Enjoy your resort. Go to Disney Springs. Play mini golf. Go into stores you never knew existed. Play SOTMK at MK or Agent P at Epcot.

It’s a very different kind of trip and I wish everyone had an opportunity to try it once.

We just returned from a 10 night trip (me, dh, ds 18 and ds 12). On arrival day, we just relaxed around the resort. Then we did 3 park days, rest day, 2 park days, rest, and then 3 more days (late flight on last day). Only park we rope dropped was MK since we were staying at the Floridian and would take an afternoon nap those days. All other park days, we would sleep in a little and get there mid-morning and stay out till closing.

We found this trip to be more relaxing. Were never in a rush to get things done and took our time just enjoying the atmosphere, watching more of the shows, etc. In the past, we would take week long trips so I felt the few extra days this time around allowed us to tour at a more leisurely pace.

Enjoy your trip.

We take our time. We don’t ever feel like if we take an afternoon break that we are missing out. It feels more like vacation to me.

After many yearly 6-7 night visits, DW and I made a couple of 10 night visits to WDW. They were quite relaxed. To start off, we arrived a bit later in the day then we previously did. That allowed for a more relaxed travel day, not having to get up before dawn. We planned for a couple of "off" days during our stay where we slept in and then decided what we wanted to do. One of the days was a wash day where we spent some time in the laundry. Since it was neither our first or last trip we had no urgency to do "everything". We planned for morning EMH rope drops at each of the four parks. Since we stayed at the Boardwalk with hoppers (or AP's) we wandered over to Epcot a lot. We also took a day and rope dropped SeaWorld. That left us a couple of days to return to whatever park we wanted.

Another thing I did was take an additional day or two off from work before and after the trip to allow myself to prepare for and recover from the travel.

There is so much benefit to this. Our trip to Disneyland last fall was much shorter (only five days including travel days), but we had a full weekend at home on either end. I thought I'd be going stir-crazy the weekend leading up to the trip, but it was actually perfect--I had so much less travel anxiety than I usually do because I had ample time to get ready. Then getting home on Friday and knowing that all we had to do that weekend was pick up the dogs on Saturday and rest until work on Monday made it a much smoother return. I'm planning a trip abroad for this fall and I've given myself both a prep day and a recovery day. Totally worth the extra vacation hours.

We are on the west coast and have been to DLR many times, but only once to WDW which was Nov 2017 and for only 5 days. In October we are going for 14 days and have 10 day hoppers.
First day travel and relaxing at resort, POFQ.
Day 2 - Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom
Day 3 - Epcot
Day 4 - Visit the monorail resorts
Day 5 - Hollywood studios for most of the day, then relax at hotel
Day 6 - Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom
Day 7 - Epcot
Day 8 - Move to Coronado Springs and meet up with family, then Fort Wilderness, Trail's End Brunch, horseback riding, nighttime entertainment
Day 9 - Hollywood studios, Boardwalk, Epcot
Day 10 - Magic Kingdom
Day 11 - Animal Kingdom
Day 12 - visit Polynesian and Grand Floridian morning, Magic Kingdom evening
Day 13 - Magic Kingdom, Epcot with Frozen dessert party if offered.
Day 14 - Disney Springs, leave for MCO at 3:30.
We plan to take our time each day, head back to hotel if needed on rope drop days for some down time.
All is subject to change according to how crowded the parks are and if we get tired sooner rather than later. We will enjoy the resorts when we want to take a break from the crowds.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!