How do you folks do it?

crazyash83

Mouseketeer
Good Day yall!

I am beginning to start the pre-planning phase of the 50th-anniversary trip but this time we are doing it differently! I usually do the whole Disney vacation package (I am Canadian btw) with everything pretty much included, dining plan, memory maker, etc. But this time my fiance and I plan to drive from Ontario, Canada, pay OOP for everything... unclear if we plan to stay on property or do the Disney Springs hotel area thingy. I also would like to visit Universal to break up the crowds at Disney.
So I am asking how do you budget for 2 adults who wish to party it up for the 50th?!?! How much do you typically spend for a week (6 days, 7 nights) on food, merch, drinks? Should we get Magic Maker again for the special events that will prolly be happening due to the anniversary? I want to take my fiance to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party AND Universals Halloween Horror Nights, any advice budget-wise there too?

Thank you all and you will be seeing me more around the boards as time does surely fly!

Good Day yall!

I am beginning to start the pre-planning phase of the 50th-anniversary trip but this time we are doing it differently! I usually do the whole Disney vacation package (I am Canadian btw) with everything pretty much included, dining plan, memory maker, etc. But this time my fiance and I plan to drive from Ontario, Canada, pay OOP for everything... unclear if we plan to stay on property or do the Disney Springs hotel area thingy. I also would like to visit Universal to break up the crowds at Disney.
So I am asking how do you budget for 2 adults who wish to party it up for the 50th?!?! How much do you typically spend for a week (6 days, 7 nights) on food, merch, drinks? Should we get Magic Maker again for the special events that will prolly be happening due to the anniversary? I want to take my fiance to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party AND Universals Halloween Horror Nights, any advice budget-wise there too?

Thank you all and you will be seeing me more around the boards as time does surely fly!
Define what you want to do to “ party it up”.

Are you going to want to hit the night spots in Disney Springs and enjoy specialty alcoholic drinks in the parks? Or will you be content to get an order of beer and wine delivered to your hotel room by Instacart?

Will you attend dessert parties and watch fireworks from reserved viewing spots, or will you grab an ice cream at Ample Hills and watch the fireworks from the bridge near the International Gateway at Epcot to save on park admission or grab a Dole Whip at Captain Cooks and watch from the Poly beach?

Are nightly table service meals at signature restaurants a must-do, or will you share QS meals instead? Or maybe you’ll be happy to pack light lunches each day to take into the parks.

How do you plan to get around Orlando? Uber/Lyft? Public transportation? Don’t forget about toll roads and parking fees if you’re driving your own car. Onsite guests pay to park their cars overnight at their resort. Offsite guests will pay to park in the theme park lots and may have to pay for parking at their resort

Will you splurge on Early Morning Magic or after-hours events? Or will regular park hours be enough for you? Is being able to hop to another park on the same day high on your list of priorities? One AP might be cost effective just for the merchandise and dining discounts, and free parking at the theme parks. Memory Maker is included as an AP benefit right now. But the benefits can change and are not guaranteed. Do the math for yourself to see if one is worth buying.

You can have a heck of a trip by plussing out everything or you can have a wonderful trip by ignoring all of the upselling that Disney does. It really depends on where your priorities lie.

Last edited:
I make a set budget and then plan within that budget. That budget will dictate how long we stay, what level of resort we stay at, how many sit down meals we will have, if we do any extras like a party or DAH, etc.

If not it could and would get out of control.

Determine your budget. Then try to figure out how to do some things cheaper, such as your stay because you don't really hang out in your room that much. Splurge for what is important to you. Honestly, Universal adds so much more in cost than staying at Disney for 2 more days. I like Universal but I don't love it. I don't like simulator rides. But, if I was to go again to Universal it would be trip dedicated to Universal and maybe throw in Seaworld. I like to leave my Disney trips to strictly Disney. Down days at Disney might be resort hopping, pool, Disney Springs, mini golf, waterpark, etc.. Universal, tickets and parking, probably adds around $275/person for 2 days. But, if money is not a problem than go for it!
Just thoughts! :)

Am I correct in that Memory Maker allows you to download as many photos as you want? If thats what it is, I wouldn't spend extra for it. I would wait to see how many photos you actually end up taking and wanting to print off, probably less than you might imagine.

Overall, when it comes to a trip I try to figure out whats important that I want to do while there. If you are looking to go to parks often and attend parties, maybe staying on property or something close by would be for the best so you have access to transportation. You said you are driving, so there will be fees for parking for sure on property, so you'll wan to look into that. I never recommend the dining plan, I find that I was just eating to eat after a while and to use up my credits than actually being hungry. I always bring money on a Disney Gift Card. I am unsure as to how it is in Canada, but using your target red card you save 5% when purchasing Gift Cards ($100 GC for $95), every little bit counts and also you are still setting money aside for your trip. You can take a look at the Budget Boards GC forum for other ideas for GC's as I think there are some for Universal Studios. If there are some restaurants I want to go eat at, I look at the menu and usually choose something I know we would normally eat, or sometimes the most expensive meal and budget for that. I just use my magic band and charge everything to my room, if I am staying on property. If I am not staying on property, I hand them my GC and have them charge that.

When it comes to the MNSSHP, if you purchase a ticket you can enter the park at 4pm. even though the party doesn't actually start until later. I always suggest not wasting your time with going to a park that day and just taking it easy, have a late lunch, maybe a swim and then head to MK at 4pm as the party runs atleast until after 12am and you can save some money that way.

Other ways to save money....
Did you know that if you buy a two day disney pass and include the water parks and more (I think they changed the name but you get the jist) you can spend two whole days at parks and an additional two whole days at the water parks? Thats 4 days worth of stuff to do, for the price of 2 days ish.
Have you thought about packing some snacks or some easy meals since you are driving to keep the costs of food down?
As I stated above...Gift Cards Gift Cards Gift Cards, they can save you money and help you to make sure you have your money set aside for your trip and not using a credit card or something, which can cost you money.

I agree about determining your priorities and your budget -- and sticking to them! Make clear what things are negotiable and what things aren't, e.g. We have to do ______, but I'm willing to compromise on _____. Budget (round way up!) for the non-negotiable things, then start working to lower the price on the other things.

I would stay on-site at Universal for that portion of your trip. The unlimited express pass (like a fast pass) make it worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter