How do you manage the airports with a 1 and 3 year old+your luggage+the car seats and the strollers??

Rent the car seats and a nice double stroller in Orlando. Just take a cheap umbrella stroller for one year old at the airport. I realize that is more money - but IMO - I think getting rid of the hassle of the car seats is well worth the expense.

Also - play around with the car rental. Car seat rental prices can vary - and a "more expensive" car rental price could be offset by a lower price on car seat rental.

Do you think the 2 three hours segments with the hour in the middle was the best way to go for your family vs n/s? I ask because i'm planning a trip to Aulani and can't make up my mind if I should book n/s (would be 10 hours there) or a layover somewhere on the west coast or Phoenix. We would have 6 adults the kids would be 9, 7, 6 and 3. My oldest DD wants to fly n/s and my youngest wants a layover long enough to stretch, eat, bathroom breaks and let the kids burn off some energy.
Totally advantages to both! I think in general with my kids the advantage has been nonstop/longhaul flights usually have flight attendants that are so bend-over-backwards accomodating of the fact that you have children on a long flight and for my kids, the novelty of getting to eat a "meal" (or two!) on a flight is super exciting (and way less challenging than trying to wrangle kids for food in an airport restaurant; they're already seated and good to go). Our flights that are anything more than 8 hours have always had two meals I feel like. We totally prefer long haul for that reason, but we also tend to pick the least $$ flights so it doesn't always work out that way. Flying to Hawaii (at least if you go Hawaiian or Alaska Airlines) is also fun for kids because they come through with POG juice when you're close to landing which my kids were really into on our last Hawaii trip (they were just-turned-1,2 and 4 on that trip). Airplane food may be kind of awful but to my kids it was always exciting, ha! Likewise airplane bathrooms aren't fun but totally worth it to me over having to land/deplane for a bathroom break.

I used to travel solo with my 2 kids when they were toddlers. You don't need to bring all of that stuff, especially to Disney. If you are not planning on using the car seat on the plane, then there is no reason why you can't rent some or use DME. When my kids were young, DME was not around yet and I would take advantage of it since it is available. 1 double stroller would be easy to manage, especially with 2 adults. People do this every day. It is great that you want to help, but I truly think that they will be just fine.

I'll be a naysayer on the renting car seats. You really should get to read the user manual for any piece of emergency equipment you rely on before you have to, and know the history of anything you require to work for you during that time - especially recalls.

We have never used a car seat at Disney, but we also never rented a car or used an Uber. If that's part of your plans, then you do want to think about the logistics of moving a seat in and out or whatnot.
If you do decide to take them, look over your seats carefully. We have been able to connect the top tether to the lower anchors and sling them on like oversized backpacks. It has left our hands free to push a stroller, pull a suitcase, or wrangle a toddler.

Honestly - they'll be ok. Getting from the car to the luggage drop off is the worst part but it's part of making memories as a family :)

We traveled at the beginning of the year with kiddos the same age, we were very happy to have our strollers with us. Carrying a kid through the airport? No, thank you. Pushing them, giving them a snack or letting them chill/nap? Yes, please.

I assume they need the car seats? Friendly reminder for anyone reading this that you don't need car seats on Disney's Magical express or the buses around the parks/resorts.

I would gently remind your daughter than anything the kids need, can be ordered/delivered in Orlando. Amazon, local stores, everything is there. We always carry on about 2-3 days worth of basic necessities (change of clothing, enough diapers, meds, food, etc) juuuust in case but that's it.

EXACT same situation last year. Decided to only take one stroller and rent the other. We used the LATCH tether strap to hang the car seats from stroller and/or suitcase to have two less things to carry. 1 YO in stroller, 3 YO walking. A lot of work setting up when we got off the plane and again at baggage claim, but ultimately everything was fine. Honestly The walk from the parking shuttle at our airport to the baggage drop was the hardest part of the trip, everything else we managed.

If you use an off property park and ride they are awesome.. they help you load your items on the bus at your car and curbside at the airport help you unload it.

We (my DD, SIL, 3 yr old DGD and 1 yr old DGS) are going to Disney 10/3-14. I have decided to fly out the week before to meet up with my niece and her husband, but then I started to think about the logistics and am feeling pretty bad. What a hassle to park in long term parking, unload the car seats, strollers, 3 suitcases and 2 kids get it all into the shuttle. When they get to the airport my SIL will get a baggage cart but can 2 car seats, 3 suitcases all fit plus he'll have to push that and a stroller.? They want to gate check the strollers and car seats so that means getting them to the gate. Can you take a baggage cart through security? I called Delta baggage to see if they offered valet, lol, they don't but the Delta rep was so nice and sympathetic. She suggested calling Delta reservations and having them note our confirmation that our party needs assistance but I don't think they will help with kids all their stuff. I'm contemplating not changing my flight to meet up with my niece now because I just don't know how they will manage. It seems like there should be a service available! They are going to buy some lighter travel car seats but I don't think that will make that big of a difference. Any suggestions? Thanks!
My children are adults now, but your thread title sent shudders down my spine. I can’t offer any practical help but I am empathising. Good luck.

EXACT same situation last year. Decided to only take one stroller and rent the other. We used the LATCH tether strap to hang the car seats from stroller and/or suitcase to have two less things to carry. 1 YO in stroller, 3 YO walking. A lot of work setting up when we got off the plane and again at baggage claim, but ultimately everything was fine. Honestly The walk from the parking shuttle at our airport to the baggage drop was the hardest part of the trip, everything else we managed.
Yep, that is exactly the part I was concerned about.

My kids are older now, but we traveled with kids, strollers, car seats, baby formula, booster seats, etc for years.

We'd get a ride to the airport or use a car service. That way we can get dropped off curbside with all of our stuff.

When we had two in strollers, we bought lightweight, easily collapsible strollers that were great for the airport as well as the parks.

We bought car seat travel bags with shoulder straps so we could easily push the strollers while carrying the car seat bags and our carry on bags.

The biggest lesson I learned is to plan for how to get everyone through security as smoothly as possible. The first time we flew with three kids, the baby was only 5 months old. DH took the older kids and most of the stuff through security ahead of me, leaving just me, the diaper bag, and the baby in the stroller. TSA then told me I had to fold the stroller and put it on the belt to be xrayed. I hadn't planned for that. Whoops! DS was only 5 months, so not even sitting up unassisted and I couldn't fold the stroller one handed, so the poor TSA agent had to hold DS while I did that. I wish I had a picture of this poor guy - he was such a good sport but I don't think he'd ever held a baby before. He was holding him at arm's length as if the baby was on fire or something.

Also, as far as packing/carry ons/ etc, less is more. I know people think it's cute for the little ones to have their own backpacks for the plane ride, but honestly it's just more to keep track of.

Have a great trip!

Yep, that is exactly the part I was concerned about.

This is easy, just have one of the adults drop the others off and unload. Then go and park the car and meet back up. Most big hotels have sky caps that can help you once you are in the unload area.

We normally divide and conquer for the exact reasons you discuss. We drive up to drop off and do curbside check-in (normally they let us keep the car there as one is starting the check-in process and one is unloading. First thing, we g0t kids into the strollers and situated so they can watch the chaos. Car seats went into car seat bags and were checked (we decided not worth the hassle to haul through the airport). Carry-ons (usually diaper bag and backpacks) placed by strollers and then checked luggage came out. We'd usually have to switch around this point so the other could show ID. Then the person staying behind would move everything (with help from the other) to right inside the door. The other would go park the car in long term parking and shuttle back and meet up. If we couldn't do curbside, we'd move everything inside and that one person would wait while the other parked in long-term. It was always less hassle that way. Nowadays our airport has a luggage check-in/drop-off in long term parking so it is super easy.

I know you can't take a luggage cart through so I'd consider potentially bringing an umbrella stroller and bungee cording a car seat to it for easy transport to the gate and someone uses a carseat bag with straps or wheels to carry it to the gate. Or give up the ghost and check it. I would always buffer our carseats with diapers and beach towels (FYI, that all is considered part of the carseat if in the carseat bag so frees up luggage space).

We normally divide and conquer for the exact reasons you discuss. We drive up to drop off and do curbside check-in (normally they let us keep the car there as one is starting the check-in process and one is unloading. First thing, we g0t kids into the strollers and situated so they can watch the chaos. Car seats went into car seat bags and were checked (we decided not worth the hassle to haul through the airport). Carry-ons (usually diaper bag and backpacks) placed by strollers and then checked luggage came out. We'd usually have to switch around this point so the other could show ID. Then the person staying behind would move everything (with help from the other) to right inside the door. The other would go park the car in long term parking and shuttle back and meet up. If we couldn't do curbside, we'd move everything inside and that one person would wait while the other parked in long-term. It was always less hassle that way. Nowadays our airport has a luggage check-in/drop-off in long term parking so it is super easy.

I know you can't take a luggage cart through so I'd consider potentially bringing an umbrella stroller and bungee cording a car seat to it for easy transport to the gate and someone uses a carseat bag with straps or wheels to carry it to the gate. Or give up the ghost and check it. I would always buffer our carseats with diapers and beach towels (FYI, that all is considered part of the carseat if in the carseat bag so frees up luggage space).
No curbside where we are flying out, boo. I have never heard of checking luggage at long term parking that is awesome. Every airport that offers l/t parking should offer that. The airports are really not as family friendly as they could be, jmho. They decided to not take the car seats. They are going to buy new light weight car seats from Amazon and have them delivered either to my house in FL or the resort (they would then take ME). They would have to bring them back on the plane but I'll be with them then so having 3 adults will make it easier. Although we will have way too much luggage (with 4 car seats) to fit in one car so I'm sure I'm going to have to pay parking for 17 days, it is always something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter