How do you "nerd out" before your USF trip?

I don't know how old your kids are, but they could follow along in the new illustrated copies of the books.

LOL. My kids are 16, 18 and 21. They grew up on the movies. Getting them to read anything for the past 10 years has been futile. I got hooked on the books the same year they began printing for the USA releases. It was a great journey waiting for each one. Kids these days have it differently.

You guys help me a lot. This forum keeps me sane while waiting.

I also listen to the unofficial universal podcast, Dis Unplugged universal edition and watch Tim Tracker videos.

I also like to read reviews on TripAdvisor about Cabana Bay (where we will be staying in September).

My daughter and I are already on the 6th HP movie. I had never given that story a chance (but she has been a die hard Hermoine fan for years - even to she is only 7). I thought I would never ever get into the Harry Potter story - being a sports fanatic my self, but I guess parenthood changes you!

We will also watch ET, MIB and other movies leading up to our trip.

I also like to read about the park on Wikipedia and know the backstory of things.

I am always looking for new things to do, until we leave. Loving some of your ideas!

We do a family movie night every weekend for months before and watch a Universal movie (or two), including all the HPs, Mummy, Men in Black, Transformers, etc. We also all get new tshirts each trip.

You guys help me a lot. This forum keeps me sane while waiting.

I also listen to the unofficial universal podcast, Dis Unplugged universal edition and watch Tim Tracker videos.

I also like to read reviews on TripAdvisor about Cabana Bay (where we will be staying in September).

My daughter and I are already on the 6th HP movie. I had never given that story a chance (but she has been a die hard Hermoine fan for years - even to she is only 7). I thought I would never ever get into the Harry Potter story - being a sports fanatic my self, but I guess parenthood changes you!

We will also watch ET, MIB and other movies leading up to our trip.

I also like to read about the park on Wikipedia and know the backstory of things.

I am always looking for new things to do, until we leave. Loving some of your ideas!

I nerd out with the Tim Tracker videos! The Universal parks & Seaworld parks videos are my favorite!

There definitely isn't as much planning to do. But we always go to both Disney and USO so I do my planning for both together and while USO is simpler I still do a lot to get ready/get excited.

• I have a playlist for both Disney/USO. My songs from USO are park area loops, music from the HP movies score and soundtrack, songs from MIB movies. I don't have a lot of songs for USO on there, but I also pick songs that remind me of going on vacation in general.
  • I have an Instagram where I mainly post pictures from our trips and this time we vlogged so I've been editing and putting up vlogs from the last time (both are linked in the signature).
  • I always try to find themed clothes for USO too. I find a lot at Hot Topic, some on Etsy for Universal. Mainly Harry Potter stuff, but I've also got Jurassic Park stuff and stuff for Halloween Horror Nights, etc.
  • The Dis Universal vlogs are probably my favorite Universal ones. With those besides watching the new episode each week, they have episodes from the past devoted to each resort and another for what to eat there I like to watch the one that corresponds to where we're staying on the current trip to get ideas and see the place. Also TheTimtracker's like others have said, a lot of vloggers that do Disney ones also film ones in Universal from time to time. I know ThisOrlando Life has some too.
  • I like to watch the HP movies too and others represented in the park like The Mummy, Shrek, Spongebob, Despicable Me, Secret Life of Pets, ET, Transformers, Marvel movies, Terminator, even the Green Eggs and Ham stories etc for Seuss land, the movies represented in Halloween Horror Nights if you're going to that, and I always watch the Men In Black movies while we pack for every trip :rotfl:
  • Besides the HP books I recently started reading a book about the creation of USO. I'm not sure if everyone would find it interesting because it's more about the business side of things, but It's called JayBangs: How Jay Stein, MCA, and Universal Invented the Modern Theme Park and Beat Disney at It's Own Game. Also for Halloween Horror Nights I know that Christopher Ripley created a Survivor's Guide to HHN every year with a a lot of cool history on all the HHN's leading up to the current one. I think he also has a book on the Universal classic horror monsters too. I found all those on Amazon.
  • I still create a small itinerary for our days at USO too and make any dining reservations we can (even if they're not 100% needed), they have all the menus on their site and on Touringplans, (and here on a sticky on the USO boards); but if you like looking at menus when Disney planning there's a lot to look at for USO too.
  • I follow the trip report, USO planning, and resorts boards on here, and usually keep up a PTR/TR for our upcoming/recent trips.
  • If you're going to Halloween Horror Nights they haven't released all the information yet so checking for and reading about the new stuff as it comes out keeps me excited, and then watching the movies the houses/scarezones are based on.

What's not to be excited about Universal? Just as magical as Disney!
Glad more and more people are venturing out!
We obviously watch the HP movies. You could also watch any of the movies the rides are based off of -- Minions, ET, Spiderman, Transformers, Men in Black.
I also shop on etsy for a fun new shirt w/ a HP saying.. I've collected three so far lol Cheaper than buying them in the park. They also have some at Kohls too.
Researching the rides is fun too. And the delicious restaurants! There is a ton of great food here! We keep a snack list just like we do for Disney
Welcome to the club -- you'll be addicted once you go! We can't take a trip to FL w/out doing both US and Dis!

Snack list? :tongue: please share!!

I love listening to the park music, HP music, reading up on news for Universal, and watching walkthroughs of the park or videos of the rides on the way down there from home.

I bought some HP themed earrings on Etsy for our trip. I bought my DD a couple of HP tees. We will both bring our house lanyards and our wands.

• Menus! I love to read all the park and hotel menus.
  • I look up restaurants I'm interested in on Trip Advisor, not for reviews but for pictures. You can see a ton of food pics this way.
  • Make your own t-shirts! It's not hard. I downloaded various fonts like Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Seuss, etc. then made my own templates like "Mischief Managed" or whatever sayings/quotes you like. I just use a Word document for this. Then get iron on paper from Walmart or Michaels or any craft store etc. Michaels sells different colored t-shirts for iron-on for around $3.00 a piece. There is also a board on The Dis with really talented people that create some pretty awesome designs, some will even custom make a design for you. I have made dozens, but be warned this gets really addictive.
  • You tube videos. I like Tim Tracker and So. Cal 360. Don't let the last one fool you, even though it says So. Cal they do videos from parks all over the world. Lots of UNiversal and lately VB. They probably have the best POV ride videos of anyone out there, very high quality. Really helps if you are unsure about going on a ride.
  • Lists! I love making lists! There's this whole Pinterest thing with bullet lists done creatively in notebooks. I know it's weird but it's like a thing and it's cool. I make packing lists, snack lists (someone else mentioned this too!), ride lists, restaurant lists, souvenir lists, etc. Save them for using in a scrapbook after your trip.
  • Buy yourself one trip related item every month before your trip. Some suggestions might be a new swimsuit, park bag, flip flops, fun colored nail polish, travel guides. I keep an Amazon list called "Travel" of things I come across and pick one thing every month to buy.
  • Listen to HP audiobooks. I love the audiobooks. The narration is so good. The CD's are kind of expensive but if you have a Kindle Unlimited membership you can listen for free.
Have fun nerding out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!