How do you pack as many toys as possible to take to WDW on a plane?

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi, I'm just as bad as the kids as far as taking toys from home on vacation. In April 2001, I felt bad for dd who I didn't get to bring some fav toys because we tried to pack little. Housekeeping sets up the toys so nicely each day! I'd like to bring more toys next time but how and what to bring? Should I stick to lots of Beanie Babies? Thanks!

yes, beanies are easily packable and kids love em
what resort will you be at?
THe all stars resort do really cute things with them in the window.
have a great time;)

If you are going to do much shopping there, I would suggest letting her pick a few favorites and sticking to the "less is better" I let each of my kids take two toys, but by the end of the week all three of their beds were covered with stuff! Beanies are available in all the parks and in the resort gift shops - you can accumulate them quickly :) and they are a relatively cheap souvenir you DD. Have fun :)

AT 13 months and 18 months I brought lots of toys. Then I learned that we weren't in the room enough for him to really play with them. So at 24 months I brought a few favorite but not a lot. We bought tons of stuff there and he never noticed.

I did bring a toy bag for the plane. We just traveled last weekend - 4 hour ride - and I didn't quite bring enough so will pack more for our 5 hour ride to DW. I find that if I need toys while I am at where I am going he will usually play with the plane toys just fine. He picks what he wants before we leave so they are his favorite ones. And, he loves to read books and color.

mcdonalds happy meal toys for kids under 3 are great toys to bring, there the fisher price ones that are smaller than the original ones they are really nice and who cares if you lose one, we have about 6 of them and they are disney bound.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

my kids are now 17 and 20 but i have years of trial and error experience and we ahve been to disney bunches, i found the best thing was to let them pack their own back pack with whatever toys they wanted and they still do that with cd's or video games etc. it worked beautifully and they had to be responsible for whatever they brought. have fun with your kids we have had and continue to have a blast with ours.

Pokeysmom is right. If your DD has a backpack, let her pack it with stuff she wants to take. My DD, who is 7 now, has done well with that plan through the years. She likes to bring Barbie dolls and clothes, beanies, crayons, and stickers. Mousekeeping has always done cute things with the Barbies.

I let my 6yo son pack his own backpack with a few rules. The items cannot make noise if you want to use them on the plane and only one stuffed animal. The one stuffed animal is because we somehow manage to come home with at least 2 or 3 more than we arrive with. I also request room to pack a small bag of munchies in his bag for him. I do pack a suprise gift in my carry-on for the way there and back. Last month, my husband found a small Mickey Mouse electronic Yahtzee game. My son played with it on the plane to and from Disney. It also was a lifesaver when waiting for food, parades, etc. He never took anything out of his backpack that he packed except for his stuffed animal!

With the new security you don't want to have a lot of stuff to carry on. Especially any electronic toys/devices. I have heard that they take more time to get through. Our flight is about 2 1/2 hours and I am bring a chapter book for the 7 yo and some small picture books for my 4 YO. Maybe a small pad of paper and pens. Oh, and plenty of snacks. We are travelling at lunch time and SW airlines does not provide a meal.

The other caution I have for airplane toys is they are a pain in the neck if they keep dropping them on the floor.

As far as the room goes, we did not need any toys when we went in 99. By the time we got back to the room they just fell into bed.

We always brought a few stuffed animals that we bought at WDW with the idea that they were visiting home and some books for DS. He reads before he falls asleep just like his parents.

A couple weeks ago we carried on some electronic toys...yahtzee game, etc. We didn't have any problems in security. In fact, the screener commented about his hot wheel cars as the bag went through.

They did say, though, that at SWA the computer picks out certain itineraries and they then do complete searches on those individuals. If you were the lucky one then it could take you quite some time to get through.

I thought it was nice of SWA, though, if that happens to you, at least on our last flight, they let those individuals board in the pre-board instead of waiting to board with their number.

If your kids are younger and will be in the carseat the whole time, we found that we could put a small blanket from the pocket on the back of the seat to under the carseat to make kinda like a "catcher" thing. That way the toys didn't go all the way down to the floor. Just an idea incase you have little ones. We always bought a separate seat so he was never on our laps.

Depending on the ages our your children/child ...
I found a travel size Guess Who game which my 6 year old DD can play with my 9 year old DS.

Gameboys can also be a lifesaver. You can turn the noise (volume down) off when playing the gameboy.
I would recomend 2 or 3 games for a plane ride 3 - 5 hours long, extra batteries, a gameboy light and a
gameboy travel case to keep everything in.

A deck of cards does not take up much room. My kids play will play go fish and a game called "garbage" with them.

Older chidren could bring a map of the US or eastern seaboard. Ask the stuardess every 30 minutes where
you are .... over CO ? Over NJ ? Over VA ? A marker will be helpful to the child to mark the progress of the plane.
An older child may be able to figure out miles/hour - learn some math while traveling.

Just some thooughts ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter