How do you pack when flying?

mommymanda

Mouseketeer
We've been down to Disney twice now. Both times I crunch numbers, watch sites, fill my inbox with 'deals' and we end up driving because I just can't justify an additional $2000+ on the vacation to fly.

Our next trip is going to be Universal, and the general cost of that vacation is lower than Disney, so hubby (who I admit ends up being the 24h driver) has requested we REALLY try to fly this time.

We are a family of five, kids are 15, 9, and 6.

I live in southwestern Ontario so I am lucky enough to have a few states I can easily get to/fly out of to save a little.

However its all the extras that add up on me. Even the younger two have a hard time packing all their stuff into a suitcase together and pretty much need their own.

What tips do others have to help me figure out my exact flight cost? Mostly the add on for luggage? I don't want to under pack (no time for laundry while there) but the idea of adding $500 or so just for luggage that we need leaves me bitter.

TIA

We are a family of five too. You can travel with only carry on. All your kids are old enough to carry their own luggage. Carefully plan which outfits you'll need, then stick to it. Even when our twins were babies, I didn't check luggage. Not only would I not pay those fees, but it is so freeing to land and walk right out of the airport. It also makes the airport easier on the outbound leg; just print your boarding pass and head to the gate.

Five carry on bags is a ton of luggage space.

Have to agree, you have the two options noted above. Fly Southwest, great airline flown it many times or fly using only carry-on. You can always do a quick load of laundry if needed mid vacation. DH and I have flown the last few trips with only carry-on. The kids clothes are much smaller so even if you do need more they take up less space. You don't mention what time of year you are thinking about going that can make a difference.

If need be, you can always pack and pay for 1 regular suitcase as well as your (free) assortment of carry-on.

Pack the younger children's clothes as outfits, and put them in ziplock bags, and shrink them down as much as possible.

I used to pack almost all our clothes using ziplocks. Such a space saver.

But make sure you weigh your luggage before going to airport. You can easily go over the limit.

Get the RBC WestJet World Elite MasterCard. And get your husband to get one as well. Each has an annual fee of $99 (but sometimes you can get RBC to waive it for the first year).

Each card gives you:
- $250 WestJet dollars that you can use for your flight;
- One companion voucher which allows one person to fly on the same itinerary for $99+fees/taxes;
- Free first checked bag for each person on the same itinerary (up to 8 people if I remember correctly).

Essentially you are getting a net $302 ($250 WestJet dollars less the $99 annual fee per card), one free checked bag per person, and 2 of your 5 tickets at $99+fees/taxes.

I've done week long trips with just carry ons for my son and I, one was just a cruise and one a cruise/Disney combo. He's small, his clothes are small :) and we also have the personal items to fill with some items (usually a change of clothes for when we arrive, and possibly a swimsuit). I am planning to take one checked bag this time (and pay the fees) but I really hate paying those fees! I normally pack in a mix and match fashion, half each suitcase is his stuff and half is mine. I am looking forward to our just Disney week coming up. We won't need dress up clothes for dinner! Shorts, t-shirts, swimsuits and few odds and ends. Maybe I can do carry ons again lol. We'll see. I take small toiletries and leave them behind so they only go one direction, also snacks if needed. We also wear our heavier clothes (in the winter that makes a difference!), and we will wear our running shoes this time, pack sandals which take up less space.

I can't travel with just a carry on, unless it's just a weekend! So I would look at flying SW.

Do you have enough suitcases for everyone to have their own carry-on? Or backpacks big enough for the little one's clothes? You could check one large suitcase instead of bags for everyone and then use carry-ons for anything else. You might save enough not checking so many bags to justify some packing cubes to help divide up everyone's clothes (or improvise using pillow cases).

For the record, I fly whenever I can swing it because I would rather spend more time at the destination. The additional vacation time and less stress should factor into your equation, even though it doesn't have a specific monetary value.

There are 3 of us (DH, DS who is 12 and me). I've pretty much got the packing down to a fine art and we can easily pack enough for a week in one carry-on size suitcase each. The secret is rolling clothes and not over packing. That second one threw me for years and I still have a tendency to pack too much. Also, my makeup and other toiletries are a bit of a challenge.

Here is how we do it for both carry-on only and not.

Carry-on only:
Each person has 2 items of carry-on, 1 case and 1 backpack. (I shove a small purse in mine because I hate not having one!) I gave up trying to pack everyone's clothes in their own case and just found room for things wherever I could. DS never fills up a case so I use his extra room for other things. Every case (or backpack) has 1 plastic bag of liquids per person within easy reach for security. Everyone has their own electronic devices (and chargers!) in their own backpack.

When carry-on only won't work:
Same as above but pack one large case with as much as will fit and pack any extras in the carry-on cases. All liquids go into the checked bag. Just because you are checking a bag does not mean you can't also take a carry-on suitcase as well.

I never used to be able to pack for a week with just one carry-on case but after years of practice and learning to roll clothes, it can be done! You may find that with one checked bag and everyone using their carry-on allowance that you can get away with it.

Fly Southwest.... 2 free suitcases per person. But buy the earlybird check-in if you want to sit together on the plane.

If you go Jet Blue (or anyone else), just add $50 ($25 each way) per person, mentally, to the price of the ticket and you each get one suitcase.

DD8 travels with a carry on sized suitcase and a backpack. Plenty of room. we go to Disney in the cooler months so we wear our long pants, and sweater/ coats. DH and I took bigger cases with medical supplies (mine) and snacks/ breakfast items whc=ich get consumed. We do laundry during swim time as the laundry rooms are right next to the pools. Everyone helps sort and fold. Easy Peasy.

So this is my checklist, we are flying Sunwing and it is a pretty skimpy weight allowance 5ks. I also only want to bring a carryon as that way we don't have to wait around and will save about $80. We are going for a week in May, so clothes are light weight. Any ideas or reminders for me?

Travel, copy of car insurance and medical insurance

Roaming plans for phones - a must for all your apps

Copies of all your documents for each person and save in your phone, chargers.

Small flashlights for everybody,

Small foldable disposable ponchos

Zip loc bags to protect things from getting wet (like your phone)

Clothes for 4 days comfy shoes and alternate comfy shoes for wet and dry

Bring gum for airplanes, it is hard to get at MCO

Comfy hoody for the cold or to roll up as a pillow

Hat, sunglasses, if you drive a spare pair of prescription glasses, light long sleeve shirt to cover up

deodorant, tooth brush, dental floss, tooth paste, mouth wash- all travel size

(hotel should have shampoo and conditioner and soap)

Extra inhaler cause somebody might lose one

Roll on sunscreen, Bandaids in different sizes, a tensor band in case of mild sprain

Polysporin pink eye drops, Ear infection drops, aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofen - your choice

Equate or some brand of antibiotic ointment. Cortizone or anti itch cream, antihistamine, gravol, Imodium.

Mesh or cloth laundry bag for each carry on suitcase - if your suitcase should break you can keep your belongings contained and it makes it easier to unload when you get home.

Decorative duct tape, can hold you broken suitcase or shoes together, also good for putting a distinctive patch on your suitcase, removing lint or for covering peep holes or taping things to your bag that you don't want to lose.

Bounce sheet, Tide Pod and Lysol wipes or some sort of cleaning wipe in a small bag.

We only travel with carry on luggage and our Disney drawstring bag lined with 2 large Ziploc bags.

We divide the liquids so nobody is over the limit. We use our carry ons that we bought at Walmart 4 years ago and they have been great.

We generally, don't buy souvenirs except for bend a pennies at the end of the day with leftover change as we don’t have room in our carryons. Won't be buying anything wearable as will have to wear our stuff we brought or leave it.

We always fly from Buffalo and just stalk the Jet Blue and Southwest websites. If we are going for 2 weeks than we plan to drive.

I get a grocery order delivered to our resort with snacks, sunscreen, toiletries, etc. so I don't have to pack them.

DD (12) and I flew to Europe last year for 10 days with just carry on.

1. We stayed at an AirBnB apartment that had a washer/dryer, so I did laundry when we were half way through. Take a couple of Tide Pods and dryer sheets and you're good to go.
2. You can re-wear items. You need clean underwear, you can re-wear your shorts. (This might be less true in August in FL, but we were in Rome when it was over 30C and it was fine.)
3. Wear one pair of shoes, take only one other pair. You don't need 4 pairs of shoes.
4. Hotels have shampoo, soap, etc. Even if YOU are particular about what you use, chances are your kids aren't. Only take as much as you need.
5. Use packing cubes. Keeps everything organized and together. The ones at Dollarama are cheap and work just fine.

We are a carry on family only also. We went 10 days to japan with just carry on. We always roll all of our clothes. That helps a lot. Only take what you absolutely need not something you think you may or may not need.

@Mumketeer I saw a show where you can use duct tape to replace a broken wheel. So you’re covered in case that happens as well.

Overall I’d say you’re good to go. It may turn out that you’ve forgotten something but it’s probably available somewhere near you.

@Mumketeer I saw a show where you can use duct tape to replace a broken wheel. So you’re covered in case that happens as well.

Overall I’d say you’re good to go. It may turn out that you’ve forgotten something but it’s probably available somewhere near you.
Thanks Starvenger, was that a Red Green show? Actually, I started using duct tape in my travels years ago when my suitcase broke and I had no time for anything but duct tape, it worked well. I always have a roll in my car, my suitcase, at work wherever cause you just never know...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!