How early at airport?

Disneycrazymom

DIS Veteran
How early do you think we will need to arrive at the airport for a 2:30 pm flight? Will 2 hours be enough or should I plan on 3? Thank you!:D

It depends on the airport and the airline you are using. Most airline sites are giving "get there this many hours before your flight" information. You might want to go to the airline's web site and check, or check your airport's web site.

If your airline has curbside check-in, be sure to check the line there first. When we arrived in December around 10:45am for a 1:00pm flight on a Friday, there was no one at the USAir curbside check-in, the skycap walked over and lifted the bags out of the trunk. Long line inside. We were at the gate before 11:30, that was even after returning the rental car.

In addition to airport and airline, the other unknown variable in your question is what day of the week? But, yes, local information for your specific airport/airline will be best. Of course, it depends on the current "state of alert" as well, but generally you shouldn't need more than two hours at that time of day. As the whole security process becomes federalized (implementing standards/processes won't happen overnight), things might become more thorough (e.g. slower), but your best bet is to check local resources a few days before your departure. In addition to the airport itself, local travel agencies (including AAA) should have a good idea of what the current picture is.

By the way, that old WDW tip of using the left queue (when two lines appear to be about the same length) seems to be true for security checks, too!

Thank you all for the wise advise. I called American, and was told 1 and 1/2 hours for our 2:30 flight on a Wed out of StL. I don't really think that will be enough time for us, we have 2 children and my 82 year old grandfather, so we will go about 2 hours ahead. Thanks again.:D

I go along with the poster that suggested curb side check in. It is wonderful and saves a ton of time, especially with a senior citizen.
Remember, tip the sky cap about 1.00-1.50 per bag. :)

Yes, I like that idea too. We will have so much less to carry inside. If we have checked our luggage outside, can we go directly to the gate? We have paper tickets and no boarding passes. :D

As long as you have a paper ticket for each person ... otherwise, they won't let you past the security check point.

If you have an eticket receipt or itinerary you can use that also to get through security. Then get your boarding pass at the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter