How easy is manuvering wheechair at POR?

Mouse's Shadow

DIS Veteran
This will be the first time we have traveled with my DS since an accident that has left him wheelchair bound. The pictures of POR rooms don't appear to allow for much room for a wc to get through. What are your experiences? Hearing that there are only kingsize beds available at the value resort makes me wonder about POR. We need double beds. Do you know if they are available at POR?

Handicapped accessible rooms are bigger than you would think. I use a wheelchair and have never had trouble manuevering at CSR.

First you call the special reservations line and tell them that you want to stay at POR and that you need a room with a roll in shower. They will tell you that all roll in shower rooms have king beds and you will be given the connecting room for free.

Please understand Disney is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts because it's such a magical places. They are doing this because it is the law under the ADA. There are so many people that don't understand that they are entitled to 2 rooms at any hotel they go to that only has a king bed in the handicap room. Sadly most hotel employees don't know this either their corporate offices do but I always hear the excuss that we haven't gotten around to sending a memo out to the hotels yet. 15 years after the ADA and they haven't gotten around to it!

I always carry a copy of the law that states that part of it.

Cindy

Michigan said:
I always carry a copy of the law that states that part of it.

Cindy
Cindy, do you have a link to that part of the law. I lost some of my links when I got a new computer and I haven't been able to find it again on the internet.
If you have it, I'll post a link to it in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Thanks

Here you go Sue the link is at the bottom of the page. I carry this with me if the only room with a rollin shower has a king bed I ask for the manager and show them the law. Sometimes they know the law but the desk people don't and sometimes the managers don't know the law but I show it to them and tell them they are more then welcome to call their corporate office and ask for the compliance staff.

9. Violations with respect to guest rooms generally
a. A second set of room number signs will be installed.
The new room number signs will be mounted on the wall
adjacent to the latch side of the door at a height
above the floor of 60 inches to the centerline.
b. i) In order to provide individuals with disabilities
a range of option equivalent to those available to
other individuals served by the hotel, including
the opportunity to stay in a sleeping room with
two beds, Johnson Creek Hospitality shall provide
to any guest with a disability who requests an
accessible room with two beds, one of its
accessible rooms (each of which has only one bed),
and an adjoining room (with one or two beds), for
the price of one room with two beds. Johnson
Creek Hospitality shall insure that all of its
front desk personnel are aware of this requirement
and comply with it. Complying with this
requirement will require Johnson Creek Hospitality
to reserve, until all other rooms are rented, not
only its accessible rooms, but also at least one
standard room adjoining an accessible room, so
that the option of an accessible room with two
beds will remain available to individuals with
disabilities.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/foia/diwi1.txt

You can find the above part in exhibit 2 section 9.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter