How far in advance is Aulani canceling reservations?

I just chatted with someone on the Aulani website about this. They would only say that they are taking reservations after 09/16 and that everyone with reservations before that date has been notified. I asked if 09/16 was a rolling date, since today is 08/15=30 days out, and she could not tell me. So I'm assuming we have to wait until 09/16 to find out when/if Aulani will re-open

It will be interesting to see how far out they’ll announce opening/continued closures. I happened to be on the DVC site today checking availability for next year, and all booking categories are blocked off through September 15th.

I just came here to find out the same info. I rented out my Aulani points this year across 3 reservations, the first of which is 9/19-9/22. I haven't heard from DVC or David's about it, but there's still no planned opening date, so I'm assuming they'll start canceling sooner than later.

I was scheduled for 9/8-9/18. They cancelled me last week with no notification that the reservation was cancelled I had to log in and it just wasn’t there anymore.
You will have to call to get points re-banked and get a refund for one time use points.

Update: I checked my account yesterday and the 9/19-9/22 reservation was active. I checked just now and it's gone. No email from DVC. I spent some time last night reading up on how David's has been handling these, and it wasn't pretty. I decided to be proactive and reply to David's using the original Rental Agreement email to let them know the reservation was canceled by DVC and offered to return the 70% payment already received in exchange for retaining my points for personal use. I hope the renters are doing their due diligence as well. Based on what I've read, I hope they dispute the charge with their credit card company. That's what I would do in this situation.

As for me... I'm tentatively planning a trip to WDW next month. Haven't been since 2016 and we NEED a vacation. We were supposed to cruise Alaska (hence why we rented our DVC points) and now we can't even go to Hawaii for who knows how long.

ETA: Fortunately, they were all Aug 2020 UY points, so I have until March to bank any I don't use. I'd feel very differently if my points were expiring or would be lost. My heart goes out to all caught in this mess.

Has anyone received any updates? My family and I have a trip booked for the first weekend in October. We rented DVC points through David’s Vacation Club and they have not been forthcoming. I’m wondering if anyone has starting receiving emails for October stays? When I called the Aulani a few weeks ago, I was told that they are closed through the end of September.

I would not expect an email from David's, at least not timely. My second rental reservation for 9/25-9/28 is still active but I expect it to fall off in the next few days. I also would not expect Aulani to reopen in a few weeks, even though officially they can't say otherwise. I have one last rental reserved end of November and I fully expect they will cancel that one, too. They are at the mercy of the government of Hawaii, and from the news I've read, that situation will not be changing any month soon.

Aulani just cancelled the Oct. 2 staycation group reservation so the closure will go past September.
Aulani is not going to go against Hawaiian mandates. But Aulani is a timeshare that has legal obligations to those that own at the timeshare. So the timeshare side is going to open as soon as feasibly possible. I'm surprised that they've cancelled an October 2nd reservation already. Not that I don't think it is inevitable, I'm surprised they committed to officially cancelling it. Officially the quarantine only extends to October 1st.

Aulani is not going to go against Hawaiian mandates. But Aulani is a timeshare that has legal obligations to those that own at the timeshare. So the timeshare side is going to open as soon as feasibly possible. I'm surprised that they've cancelled an October 2nd reservation already. Not that I don't think it is inevitable, I'm surprised they committed to officially cancelling it. Officially the quarantine only extends to October 1st.
I wonder if that reservation was on the Hotel side.

Another update: 15 days out, my renter's Sep. 25-28 reservation dropped off between 7:30 AM MST and 10:30 AM MST today. (Yes, I've been checking obsessively since I wanted to use those points for a WDW reservation.) It seemed inconsistent because they canceled my other renter's Sep. 22-25 reservation last Thursday when it was 19 days out. But now I'm wondering if they do it once a week on Thursday mornings! Not enough data points to be sure, so take that theory with a grain of salt.

Also note that as the DVC owner, I have received zero notification from DVC/Aulani about the canceled reservations. If I wasn't chomping at the bit to book my own vacation next month, I probably wouldn't even notice for a long time. If I hadn't come to the Disboards to read up about it, I'd have no idea what David's is doing for (to?) owners and renters. If I didn't keep my own records of what was rented to who and when, I certainly wouldn't be able to find that information on my DVC account. The reservations are GONE, no history to be found.

Last edited:
Ugh, not surprised at all, but I just noticed all DVC booking categories are blocked through October 17th. 😰

Another update: 15 days out, my renter's Sep. 25-28 reservation dropped off between 7:30 AM MST and 10:30 AM MST today. (Yes, I've been checking obsessively since I wanted to use those points for a WDW reservation.) It seemed inconsistent because they canceled my other renter's Sep. 22-25 reservation last Thursday when it was 19 days out. But now I'm wondering if they do it once a week on Thursday mornings! Not enough data points to be sure, so take that theory with a grain of salt.

Also note that as the DVC owner, I have received zero notification from DVC/Aulani about the canceled reservations. If I wasn't chomping at the bit to book my own vacation next month, I probably wouldn't even notice for a long time. If I hadn't come to the Disboards to read up about it, I'd have no idea what David's is doing for (to?) owners and renters. If I didn't keep my own records of what was rented to who and when, I certainly wouldn't be able to find that information on my DVC account. The reservations are GONE, no history to be found.

I had linked our reservation to the Aulani's website - I keep checking it to see if the reservation is still listed online. If they cancel the reservation, will it no longer appear there? If so, I'm thinking that will be the best way for me to determine whether or not our reservation is cancelled since I can't rely on David's Vacation Club Rental.

I just called for my reservation Check in Oct 5th, as I had not heard anything and Aulani confirmed to me it was cancelled.

I just called for my reservation Check in Oct 5th, as I had not heard anything and Aulani confirmed to me it was cancelled.

I just called them and all they would tell me is that are still accepting reservations for October. She also told me that she can’t tell me anything since it’s thru DVC. She told me to call DVC. But I know DVC won’t tell me anything, because I rented the points through David’s. What a nightmare.

I just called them and all they would tell me is that are still accepting reservations for October. She also told me that she can’t tell me anything since it’s thru DVC. She told me to call DVC. But I know DVC won’t tell me anything, because I rented the points through David’s. What a nightmare.
Mine was through David's as well. I just gave the guy my confirmation number and he told me it was cancelled but couldn't tell me anything else. David's has not said anything to me to date.

Mine was through David's as well. I just gave the guy my confirmation number and he told me it was cancelled but couldn't tell me anything else. David's has not said anything to me to date.

Did you call the main number for Aulani? A woman answered the phone and asked for my reservation number. When I gave it to her, she said that it was through DVC and she wouldn’t give me any info at all. Which is so bizarre! I’m on hold with DVC right now, but I may try to call the Aulani again and maybe I’ll be able to speak to someone else. It’s ridiculous that she can’t even tell me if the reservation is active. We were scheduled to check in Oct 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter