How is this a good deal--explain

coachv

Disney Veteran
I have read mousesavers page and all the messages on this board and I have a question on a connections
voucher for a character meal. The mousesavers page said it was a good deal for the character voucher meal at
Crystal Palace, but the price at CP is 13.95 for an adult and 7.95 for kids. The voucher cost is 17.50 and 12.00.
Definitely not a savings. Can you use these and character meal besides breakfast. Just wondering!!!

You are quoting breakfast prices. Lunch/dinner prices are more like $20 for adults and $15 for kids, so you save a couple of bucks with the vouchers.

I'm assuming that you are talking about the "Breakfast Feature Meal" vouchers.

According to Deb Wills' site, the character breakfast at the CP is $15.99 for adults and $8.99 for children 3 - 11. Prices are from a 12/01 menu and tax, gratutity and beverages are extra.

The voucher includes tax and gratutity. Tax is 6% and the server receives a 15% gratutity (from what I've read elsewhere).

Including tax and gratutity brings the price of the character breakfast up to $19.35 without a beverage. If you get a beverage (most non-alcoholic beverages seem to run about $1.95 at the WDW restaurants) then the price of the meal becomes $21.71

Since the voucher is $17.50, you do save a few dollars.

Child's meal would be $10.88 without a beverage. I don't know what kid's beverages cost, so you may or may not save much (if any) on those.

Is it worth it? Up to you. I personally would not join the club if the only feature I planned to use was the Disney meal vouchers. JMHO. YMMV.

Mainly thought about the savings on the WDW hoppers and am looking into the savings on the meal vouchers. I had forgotten about the tax and tip amounts. So wrapped up last year in the wonder of WDW-I didn't notice the tip already included in the character meals. The vouchers seem like a good deal but also seem like a lot of trouble to do--knowing which restaurant is best and what time to eat. Last year we just ate kids meals or split entrees and had plenty to eat. I really loved the character meals and thought I would look into that aspect of the vouchers. Can't wait til June...............

offsite (HIFS) June '01
CBR June '02

I still don't see the whole deal about Connections. How does it the Entertainment book, which you could acquire for as litle as $20 - $25 in most areas?

Assuming you have your AAA and DC cards, what is the case for Connections?

Wanda

The breakfast meal vouchers save you a couple bucks tops. Not a huge savings - but a few bucks saved nonetheless. The real value in WDW meal vouchers from Connections is on the Quick and Casual lunch/dinner vouchers when used at the right spots. We used them on our last trip at Pepper Market at CS and Beaches & Cream at BC. The meals there would have been $50+, with the vouchers it cost $21 (for 2 adults).

Entertainment, DC, AAA won't get you that kind of discount on any meal.

As for the rest of Connections - you can save a lot if you order the certificates for restaurants and stores.

Entertainment, DC and AAA give you good discounts on SEVERAL meals, at many places! I am willing to bet they are comparable to Connections, for far less money

Wanda

Originally posted by Humpbacks1962
Entertainment, DC and AAA give you good discounts on SEVERAL meals, at many places!
Wanda

That's certainly true, but none of those give you discounts at any of the restaurants inside the WDW parks. Connections does. I still don't plan to join, but can see that it might make sense for those people who eat a lot of restaurant meals at WDW and/or can take advantage of the other savings the club offers.

The 10% lunch discount at EPCOT table service restaurants for annual passholders is unprecedented - I'm really happy to see it. Maybe the DC will add something similar in the near future.

Humpback 1962

I have connections and order the passes only. It is expensive but I use it for the other things too. Saved $150 at toys r us, $20 at Olive Garden $20 at Barnes & Noble etc. Have 5 in our family so saved plenty on the passes, also bought Seaworld tix from them.

If my Feb trip was more organized, I'd try the vouchers and get Bennigans, Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood for 20% off, but just too unsure of my plans to chance it.

My long-winded point...it's a great thing to join, but not for everyone!

Vivienne

CarolMN, I had not heard about the 10% deal on Epcot restaurants for AP holders. Where could I look to find more info about this? Thanks!

Originally posted by Liz
CarolMN, I had not heard about the 10% deal on Epcot restaurants for AP holders. Where could I look to find more info about this? Thanks!

It's in the February 2002 issue of the Mickey Monitor. There are quite a few new perks/benefits for annual passholders. Here's what it says about the EPCOT lunch discount:

10% lunch discount at EPCOT
"Bring up to three Guests to any EPCOT table service location for a discounted lunch. Hours vary by location, so ask when you book."

There are a few threads over on the Theme Parks Board that list more of the perks and I'm sure if you keep an eye on the boards, someone will post a link to the online version of the MM soon. (Haven't seen it yet).

Humpbacks - where can you get discounts on WDW restaurants with Entertainment?

DC does provide some discounts and they just got better - perhaps as good as some of the Connections vouchers - but I don't think as good as the discounts at Beaches & Cream or Pepper Market. I'd love to know if there are better discounts because we have DC.

Disneykidds,

I just noticed your town, I live in Hopewell, too. My kids go to Gayhead, 4th, 2nd and kindergarten.

Vivienne

I am going to be staying at CS this summer. Explain to me what you got at Peppers that cost $50 for two people. Sounds like a pretty good idea. Can't really picture what Peppers Market is other than what I have read. Definintely going to get connections passes-was going to get 4 day hopper but with their price I can get the 4 day hopper plus for the same price. Thanks for all the info.

offsite (HIFS) June '01
CSR June '02

disneygals - as the ride says, it's a small world....now I've got that @#$%^ song in my head. It is a great town.

coachv - That is great that you will be staying at CS. We were there for a couple nights last Nov. We love the resort. Pepper Market is not your typical food court. The vouchers work great there. We will even make a trip to CS just too use the vouchers at Pepper Market.

We ate there twice on our last trip. This is the set up. You have to be seated by a CM. There is limited table service. A waiter/waitress will bring you drinks, make sure you have silverware, etc. They will even fill your refillable mug (which we recommend getting). You get your food yourself. You go to the kitchen area where you can choose from many different types of food. Mexican, Chinese, pizza, a grill area with many items and a daily special, and other assorted things including salads, desserts, kids foods, etc. The food is always hot and fresh and is pretty good. The vouchers include an entree, side, dessert, and drink, including tax and tip. For many of the things at Pepper Market the vouchers work out to be a mediocre deal. If you get Chinese, Mexican, pizza, a burger - you really don't save much. However, over at the grill you can get some good stuff. One night I got the ribeye steak. That alone goes for about $17 or $18. Another night DW and I both got the prime rib special. A huge slab of prime rib that goes for about $16. They also have fresh tuna steaks cooked to order which are probably pretty good as well. Add in the Khalua creme brulee (my favorite) or whatever dessert you like and a drink and with tax and tip the total approached $50 quickly.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter