How long did your engagement last?

It's funny that you put this up yesterday, since it was my 23rd anniversary. We were engaged for 2 months, to the day. We had only known each other for a total of 5 months.

For those of you who had short engagements: did you have a small wedding?

I’m in the UK and when we got married in 2000 many venues, photographers etc were booked 2 years in advance; I know it is still the same here now, and suspect that it is common in many places. Of course it is possible to arrange a wedding in less time than that, so I’m just curious.

Just over 9 months. Engaged in August, married in May. We had been dating and discussed getting married several times. I was still surprised when he proposed though. He also let me quit working when we got married, so I wanted to get married before DD's summer vacation began. Mine and DD's birthdays are on the 22nd, so when I saw May 22nd was a Saturday, it was perfect.

We got engaged 9 months after meeting, but the engagement lasted 2 years. We were still living in MD at the time, he got laid off and moved back to Buffalo, in the meantime I graduated college and started a job to save some money, then moved to Buffalo the following year. Then we bought a house, had to plan the wedding from another state (wedding was back in MD), so all of that took some time. This September will be our 11th anniversary.

I’m in the UK and when we got married in 2000 many venues, photographers etc were booked 2 years in advance; I know it is still the same here now, and suspect that it is common in many places. Of course it is possible to arrange a wedding in less time than that, so I’m just curious.

Yes, we had a small destination wedding/elopement. Our daughter is getting married this November after getting engaged this past December. We had a hard time finding a venue in that time frame. Other than the venue, we have not had any problem booking a photographer, a cake baker, a DJ, florist, or a caterer. Only 8 months to go!

9 months. Basically beginning of senior year of college and then we got married right after graduation.

But I've noticed that engagements often seem to be longer now. I think it's because people don't feel compelled to wait till they are married to live together, etc. Instead engagement seems to sometimes be more of a relationship status now.

Married for 22 years and going strong - will stay married till we die <3

For us - all we cared about was getting married and beginning our lives together. The details of the wedding were secondary. Our wedding was simple mid afternoon church ceremony with about 125 guests and a cake and punch reception.

6 weeks...We met online in July, both broke up with the hanging on SO's we were sort of with. Met in person in August. Got engaged in September, Married in October, Pregnant in November. Sold my house in December, his in April, moved to a new one in May, had a baby in June.

Craziest year of my life but wouldn't trade it for a thing! That was now almost 15 years ago :love:

We had to pay for our own wedding because my mother had passed away and my father was dying.

We were married in the same church as my parents. Free. My friend who was an opera singer performed at the ceremony. My husband borrowed antique cars from a friend to transport us. My sister lived in a large home with a lot of land with beautiful gardens, pergola, and pool. We rented a gigantic white tent, twinkle lights, and a dance floor. We borrowed tables and chairs from the church. We got the alcohol at a deep discount from family friends who owned a liquor store. The stunning wedding cake was a gift from a friend who was a baker. My photographer was an old friend who happened to be a professional wedding photographer. My gown and seven bridesmaids dresses were discounted by a friend of a friend who owned a bridal shop. I paid $700 for a $1200 wedding gown in 1993. Great deal! The same friend hooked us up with lovely discounted engraved invitations, monogrammed napkins and matchbooks. I bought 20 lead crystal candleholders and tapered candles at Xtreme Discounts. I made my own veil from tulle, silk flowers, pearls, sequins, and a glue gun that I bought from a craft store. I haggled with the florist and caterer who both gave us a stellar deal. We got “Rent a DJ” for a great price. After all the favors and discounts, we had a beautiful wedding with 100 guests for only $7,000!

Our honeymoon was in a friend’s winter home in Boca Raton, Florida. It had 3 bedrooms, master bathroom with a bidet and jacuzzi, a gorgeous pool. We drove to Florida in my unairconditioned car in July.

So we managed to pull off a beautiful wedding thanks to a lot of generous friends, family, and vendors.

Last edited:
6 months. Started dating April 1, 1989. Engaged that Thanksgiving. Married Memorial Day weekend 1990.

Celebrating 28 years this May.

About 14 months.

Dated for 7 years (including the engagement year).

Got engaged March 1999 on a hammock that is no longer in front of Tokelau. Got married in May 2000.

14 months... and it felt like forever, especially since we'd been already been dating for 2 years.

We became engaged the week after Valentine's Day in February 1994 & were married in April 1995.

Next month will be 23 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter