How much do you miss on site perks?

How much does it impact your planning not having the 60 day fastpass+ and missing out on Extra Magic Hours? Those are my biggest concerns with staying off property. We are planning a trip for 2022 (yes, it is a long way out but we need the time to save the money!) for an extended family trip, 7 adults and 5 kids. It would really loosen up the budget if we stayed off site and rented a house or stayed at a non Disney resort. Disney is my families priority, although not necessarily everyone in our group, so not being on property might give others the space they want to explore other Florida attractions.
There are so many non Disney Hotels with EMH that you don't really miss EMH if you stay at those hotels.
I like the Doubletree because the rooms are big plus suites and you get bus transportation and EMH and prices are reasonable. I think that has the best/price to value ratio, and is great if you are collecting Hilton points.

I am currently planning/budgeting for what is likely going to be a one-off magical holiday to the US in 2024! WDW for ~17 days, with a NY 4-night stay. Party will be 4 Adults, 3 Teenagers and an 11 year old. Obviously cost is a factor but we would also like to benefit from the flexibility of splitting up if staying onsite. Have any of you mixed your holiday locations so you did maybe 7 nights on-site and 7 nights off site? I wonder if because you purchase the 14 day pass when on site, if the system is clever enough to known the second 7 days you are no longer on-site and cannot benefit from EMH and FP? Or if we did this, do we go hard in the first week on site, and relax (ish) a little more with some off site fun as well. A couple of what will be many newbie questions for this great forum.

I am currently planning/budgeting for what is likely going to be a one-off magical holiday to the US in 2024! WDW for ~17 days, with a NY 4-night stay. Party will be 4 Adults, 3 Teenagers and an 11 year old. Obviously cost is a factor but we would also like to benefit from the flexibility of splitting up if staying onsite. Have any of you mixed your holiday locations so you did maybe 7 nights on-site and 7 nights off site? I wonder if because you purchase the 14 day pass when on site, if the system is clever enough to known the second 7 days you are no longer on-site and cannot benefit from EMH and FP? Or if we did this, do we go hard in the first week on site, and relax (ish) a little more with some off site fun as well. A couple of what will be many newbie questions for this great forum.
No more FP anyway and EMH are currently just 30 min. What you lose is the ability to book ILL at 7am, so you will be locked out of the most popular rides in the park unless you stand in line. Currently there is only one ILL per park but it is supposed to go back to 2. Also dining reservations are made based on length of stay so you may have trouble booking certain table service restaurants.

Clearly the caveat is that we have no idea what 2024 will look like, but those are the main differences now.

I've been an offsite visitor for a long time. What I really missed in March 2022 though over spring break was (1) not being able to rope drop. All those onsite visitors got to line up a 1/2 hour before I did and I really missed the rope drop advantage. A 40 minute wait for Test Track at park opening for us and a 35 minute wait for Space Mountain. In the past this was walk on for us. (2) I didn't like driving this time around. Seems like there are more crazy drivers than in the past and I hated it that lights were out not allowing left turns and that from my offsite condo I had to do a right turn on no light, cross over three lanes, and then wait for someone to let me in doing a u turn over and over all week. (I love the great condo deals offsite, but OMG this almost makes we want to stay onsite. I won't do it because of cost, but it's actually really tempting). (3) we couldn't get any of the $LL. That meant an hour and a 1/2 wait in line for those in our party who wanted to do Remmy. We didn't even try for 7DMT. And we didn't go to DHS or AK on this trip, but I'm sure for the $LL it would have been the same thing.

Parking was our biggest issue.. I was paying parking at our offsite hotel then paying parking at the parks each day... it added up quick. I know if you had a house that would not apply but when you are running your numbers keep it in mind... . We stay at swan dolphin most of the time cause it's the best of both worlds... and with older kids we like the extended hours at Epcot and MK. You can also look into renting dvc points if you are worried about it. We are not allowed to post the company's name I used but you can find it in a google search of renting dvc points ot check out that thread.

We are not allowed to post the company's name I used but you can find it in a google search of renting dvc points ot check out that thread.
Renting DVC points when I've done the math has typically been three times as expensive as renting a lovely offsite timeshare condo. Love staying in condos, but as a budget Orlando traveler, the onsite condos are not something that I'd consider with the offsite ones being such nice places to stay for super reasonable costs. All that said there are definitely onsite perks that are nice that I'd like and no rope drop had me feeling a little bit like a second class citizen, but I'm just not willing to pay for the perks (they don't fit into the budget that I allocate for an Orlando trip either). // Do note though that this has been the case for me before all the recent changes too. I'm not a new offsite visitor.

Regarding recent changes as an offsite visitor, I liked the $15 LLs better than fastpass+ as an offsite visitor (more value than the old fastpass + as an offsite visitor even though I was paying for that -- really saw it as necessary at a busy time and got value from it), but per previous post I really missed not being the first people in the parks and having the rope drop advantage that onsite only has now. This is the first time in 50 years as an offsite visitor I couldn't be a rope dropper at WDW, and I did miss that for sure, but still I didn't miss it enough that I'd plan to pay onsite prices in the future. (Note that in about 40 visits to Orlando, I have stayed at Fort Wilderness three times (kid staying in my parent's motorhome), the Contemporary three times (seminar for DH - his company paying for our room), and Port Orleans once (seminar for DH at Contemporary in overflow area as Contemporary was booked up, so it's not that I've never ever stayed onsite -- onsite 7 times, offsite 33 times). It is true, though, that I have never paid to stay onsite with my own budget dollars, and only stayed onsite when someone else was paying for me -- It's probably my bean counter personality and me thinking the onsite premium is currently and has always been too high). I should mention that I do a lot of non-Disney stuff on Orlando trips too -- I visit other non-Disney parks (love SeaWorld in particular by the way), visit relatives in the area too (I have relatives who live right in Orlando and relatives who live in Tampa too). In six full days spring break March 2022, I just did two days at WDW and four days that I didn't set foot on WDW property. Given that I want to stay one place the whole time, that would make paying a premium to be onsite when 2/3rds of my time isn't even at WDW a pretty poor proposition from a budgetary / convenience stand point too.

Is there a post with all of the different acronyms used on this forum? I have guessed a couple from googling but not sure what ILL is, and I guess the ride acronyms will make sense when we get as far as looking at parks and rides. Thanks.

Wow this is a lot and you really should start a new thread for this query. I will say that if you are at WDW for ~17 days, you don't really need those on-site perks; you'll have plenty of days to get everything you want done. And with 17 days, you're going to want more space than a simple WDW hotel room. Unless money is no object--then rent a couple two bedroom on-property villas. (But even then, wouldn't you rather have a five-bedroom house with a private pool for less?)

I will add this: I am assuming the 11 year old will always be with an adult, and that you are OK with everyone else taking Ubers when a car is not available. If no one can take an Uber, then you need to stay on property.

And yes, Disney is smart enough to know which days you are on property.

Is there a post with all of the different acronyms used on this forum? I have guessed a couple from googling but not sure what ILL is, and I guess the ride acronyms will make sense when we get as far as looking at parks and rides. Thanks.
ILL = Individual Lightning Lane. Currently there's one ride in each park that's an ILL (or ILL$)--7 Dwarfs Mine Train (7DMT or SMDT) in MK, Star Wars Rise of the Resistance (RotR) in DHS, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure (Remy or sometimes Rat) in Epcot, and Avatar Flight of Passage (FoP) in DAK.

MK = Magic Kingdom
DAK = Disney's Animal Kingdom
DHS = Disney's Hollywood Studios

There must be an acronym thread somewhere on this board, so I'm hoping someone else will chime in with the info.

BTW (hah! another acronym), ILL$ are a separate purchase from Genie+ (G+) and you do not need to purchase Genie+ in order to purchase an ILL.

Renting DVC points when I've done the math has typically been three times as expensive as renting a lovely offsite timeshare condo. Love staying in condos, but as a budget Orlando traveler, the onsite condos are not something that I'd consider with the offsite ones being such nice places to stay for super reasonable costs. All that said there are definitely onsite perks that are nice that I'd like and no rope drop had me feeling a little bit like a second class citizen, but I'm just not willing to pay for the perks (they don't fit into the budget that I allocate for an Orlando trip either). // Do note though that this has been the case for me before all the recent changes too. I'm not a new offsite visitor.

Regarding recent changes as an offsite visitor, I liked the $15 LLs better than fastpass+ as an offsite visitor (more value than the old fastpass + as an offsite visitor even though I was paying for that -- really saw it as necessary at a busy time and got value from it), but per previous post I really missed not being the first people in the parks and having the rope drop advantage that onsite only has now. This is the first time in 50 years as an offsite visitor I couldn't be a rope dropper at WDW, and I did miss that for sure, but still I didn't miss it enough that I'd plan to pay onsite prices in the future. (Note that in about 40 visits to Orlando, I have stayed at Fort Wilderness three times (kid staying in my parent's motorhome), the Contemporary three times (seminar for DH - his company paying for our room), and Port Orleans once (seminar for DH at Contemporary in overflow area as Contemporary was booked up, so it's not that I've never ever stayed onsite -- onsite 7 times, offsite 33 times). It is true, though, that I have never paid to stay onsite with my own budget dollars, and only stayed onsite when someone else was paying for me -- It's probably my bean counter personality and me thinking the onsite premium is currently and has always been too high). I should mention that I do a lot of non-Disney stuff on Orlando trips too -- I visit other non-Disney parks (love SeaWorld in particular by the way), visit relatives in the area too (I have relatives who live right in Orlando and relatives who live in Tampa too). In six full days spring break March 2022, I just did two days at WDW and four days that I didn't set foot on WDW property. Given that I want to stay one place the whole time, that would make paying a premium to be onsite when 2/3rds of my time isn't even at WDW a pretty poor proposition from a budgetary / convenience stand point too.
It is true.. but we really enjoy staying onsite.. I enjoy not having to drive anywhere and I can trust Disney resorts. I have had so many issues with old delaplated properties in central Florida.
Renting dvc was cheaper than direct from Disney and kept us onsite.

Wow this is a lot and you really should start a new thread for this query. I will say that if you are at WDW for ~17 days, you don't really need those on-site perks; you'll have plenty of days to get everything you want done. And with 17 days, you're going to want more space than a simple WDW hotel room. Unless money is no object--then rent a couple two bedroom on-property villas. (But even then, wouldn't you rather have a five-bedroom house with a private pool for less?)

I will add this: I am assuming the 11 year old will always be with an adult, and that you are OK with everyone else taking Ubers when a car is not available. If no one can take an Uber, then you need to stay on property.

And yes, Disney is smart enough to know which days you are on property.
I agree that especially since you'll be at WDW for a while and can take your time, the perks won't really matter. We stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (look for the thread on this) which is inside Disney gates, has fabulous pools and grounds and is literally next to Riviera/Caribbean beach. If I were going to be there as long as you, I would definitely go this route, as they are full on condos with kitchens, laundry, etc., but at a great resort that is above Disney deluxe resorts when it comes to pools, hot tubs and activities. Once we started vacationing like this, I won't do it any other way, even for one week! I miss true "rope drop" but you'll be fine without it. Have fun!

I agree that especially since you'll be at WDW for a while and can take your time, the perks won't really matter. We stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (look for the thread on this) which is inside Disney gates, has fabulous pools and grounds and is literally next to Riviera/Caribbean beach. If I were going to be there as long as you, I would definitely go this route, as they are full on condos with kitchens, laundry, etc., but at a great resort that is above Disney deluxe resorts when it comes to pools, hot tubs and activities. Once we started vacationing like this, I won't do it any other way, even for one week! I miss true "rope drop" but you'll be fine without it. Have fun!
And I just wanted to add that we have stayed on site, we just stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge in October for a whole week by renting DVC, but Bonnet Creek is still my "go to", as we're traveling with six of us and can get a 4 bedroom unit for less than one room at AKL.

I have a feeling that you may discover that staying off property is more affordable so you could probably go more often. If you stay at a timeshare resort with activities and other entertainment you wont need so many Disney visits. Rent a car, take a drive to the beach and spend the day. In fact go explore other areas of Florida besides Orlando. Also having full kitchens saves on dining out for every meal. Buy deli meat or salad stuff, etc. Order from Walmart a week before you go and pick up. Things like a case of bottled water for $5 sure beats paying $2 a bottle. Buy a box of frozen ice cream bars in Walmart for $3 or $4 instead of $4 each at the parks. Also, the dining choices off-site are far better in quality food than what Disney serves. Have pizza and other take out delivered. Kids love eating on balconies overlooking a pool. Go to the lobby and pick up a family board game to play on the balcony. Its more fun to do that in Florida on vacation!! Go to a Olive Garden for far less than you would pay at Mama Melrose at Disney. You may even discover an Orlando Italian restaurant that isn't a chain. Needles to say You are going to be surprised how much money you will save and still have a fantastic time. Also, having more space than a room with 2 beds and 1 bath in it also helps. Change your mindset from having to go on a DISNEY ONLY vacation. Instead, go for an Orlando vacation and stop by Disney while you are in Orlando. Florida is FULL of things to do and see from sun up until sun down. Needless to say all the activities that are available for the kids to participate in at the resort. I highly recommend stays at timeshare resorts instead of a private home. Mainly for the entertainment and activities alone. Private home communities do not provide entertainment and activities for guests like timeshare resorts do. It makes it part of the vacation. And at the end of the day, you have a master bedroom with a jacuzzi tub to relax in, instead of deciding how to wind down in a cramped room with 2 beds and 1 bathroom.
Any suggestions on what timeshare to stay at? Thanks!

There are so many non Disney Hotels with EMH that you don't really miss EMH if you stay at those hotels.
I like the Doubletree because the rooms are big plus suites and you get bus transportation and EMH and prices are reasonable. I think that has the best/price to value ratio, and is great if you are collecting Hilton points.
Which Doubletree do you prefer?

Sheraton vistana I drive , with advice from others we got a killer deal on skyauction.com ($600 for a week 2 bedroom living)
Sheraton vistana on idrive us across the freeway from DS. Kids loved it

How much does it impact your planning not having the 60 day fastpass+ and missing out on Extra Magic Hours? Those are my biggest concerns with staying off property. We are planning a trip for 2022 (yes, it is a long way out but we need the time to save the money!) for an extended family trip, 7 adults and 5 kids. It would really loosen up the budget if we stayed off site and rented a house or stayed at a non Disney resort. Disney is my families priority, although not necessarily everyone in our group, so not being on property might give others the space they want to explore other Florida attractions.
Extra Evening hours are only available at the elite deluxe hotels and Swolphin now so that really downgrades the rest of the disney hotels that only get 30 minute morning hours.

I recommend WBC if you still want to have the "on-site feel" without the "on-site price tag". I have also enjoyed Orange Lake resort. I have yet to stay at any of the Sheraton Vistana resorts but they get good reviews. Also the Marriott Grande Vista is another place on my list to visit one day. These are all timeshare resort properties which I prefer. Someone mentioned trying www.skyauction.com. I also recommend TUG and Redweek. I am sure you will find some options. Have fun planning and good luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts