How much walking in WDW?

Jen81NYC

Mouseketeer
Hi, planning first trip for April with DH and two boys (7 and 4). When looking at some of the other posts, I’ve noticed people talking about “prepping” for the trip by taking extra walks, etc. We’re surprising the kiddos with a one week trip so wondering just how exhausting the physical part really is since we won’t be preparing them. Will it be somewhat tiring but doable? Or not a big deal unless you’re not accustomed to walking? (my kids are used to walking since we live in the city and don’t have a car but they don’t do many long walks in the winter). We are getting double strollers just in case but definitely not enthused about pushing a double stroller for 6 days. Just curious how exhausting it really is for people in regular shape.

Thanks!

When I was in my 20’s... Day one I thought...oh..this is not bad...day two...oh i am getting tired now...day three...ow.
Day 4 **** this I am staying at the pool.

For me, I used to take public transportation to work and walked about 1-2 miles each way carrying a 5 lb tote bag. This did not prepare me for the TEN to TWELVE miles i walked/stood moving around WDW. the hardest thing for me is steps, standing and hills. Even when I was in the best of shape in my teens my feet still hurt after the second day.

Now that I am driving to work and not walking nearly that much, I will start “training” about a year before the trip and get myself up to 5 miles a day if I can per walking session.

I average about ten miles a day in WDW. I'm accustomed to walking a lot, but Disney has me on my feet much longer than normal. The standing, stopping, walking cycle is a little more tiring than just walking would be. I don't get it too bad when I'm in the park, but there's aches when I'm back at the hotel.

We took our kids for the first time when they were 5. The walking is ok it’s the standing in line that makes them crazy. If you already walk a fair bit they will be fine in my opinion.
we tend to average 30,000-40,000 steps a day when we go. We go all day.

We went last March and according to our Fit Bits here is our mileage:
Day #1: HS and Disney Springs: 9.7 miles
Day #2: MK and EPCOT: 10.3 miles
Day #3: EPCOT: 10.8 miles
Day #4: MK: 9.4 miles
Day #5: HS and EPCOT: 9.9 miles
Day #6: MK and AK: 10.2 miles

TOTAL: Miles: 60.3 130,291 steps Calories: 19,144

We are getting double strollers just in case
Something to consider - when our kids were about these ages (7&5), we brought a small umbrella stroller instead of the double stroller we'd brought on the previous visit. It was so much easier to manage and the kids took turns riding in it (okay, there were a couple times when they both begged to ride and I ended up pushing with DD2 sitting on DD1's lap). Anyway, it was just so much easier to carry around, store, and maneuver that I just thought I'd mention it. Have fun!

Hi OP, congrats on your first trip! We took our kids at age 5 AND 7 and they never used a stroller. We just rested if they were tired. It's doable and more fun than trying to navigate a double wide stroller, IMO. You will just have to see how they do. There is a lot of walking, BUT it is broken up, not all at once. The walk to the bus stop, the walk from there to security then the walking in the parks. But with rest stops and resting while in line and on the rides, it should be fine. My husband and I are in our 70's and we do great by taking it slow and resting. I know that 10 miles plus sounds horrific, but it is not all at once or none of us could do that.

We do 10-12 miles. We are neither young or in shape but walking at Disney is doable.
No way, no how do I push around a 7 yo and a 4 yo together, unless they are REALLY small for their age. THAT would tire me out. Especially when their young and healthy legs are perfectly capable of walking longer than I am.
I may rent one for the 4 yo if they nap but that's it. Kids can run for hours, walking at Disney is nothing for them.

My teen runs cross country and track, but we have always "prepped". Afternoon walks in the neighborhood then weekend trips that allow for more walking than weekdays (nature trials, parks, etc.). I try to make it fun, but I also recognize that you are on your feet for several hours 5-10 miles a day, and tolerating the heat if going during the summer months.

We average between 7 and 10 miles at WDW daily. It's easier than just walking 10 straight miles because it's walk a bit, sit down to eat, walk a bit, stand in line, sit on the ride, walk a bit, etc. It's also harder because of the just standing waiting. We have two littles currently 4.5 and 6.5 and just got back from a 6 day trip; they did great with the youngest one wanting to be carried at the very end of the night walking back to the hotel and maybe one other time each day if it was a long uninterrupted trek (the walk to Hollywood Studios from BC for example).

At home our kids walk at least a mile a day and regularly go on 3-4 mile hikes on the weekends so they walk more than a lot of kids around here but nothing too crazy.

We have gone once/year since 2017 and never used a stroller - the first time the youngest was 1.5 so we carried her in a carrier about half the time and the oldest at 3.5 kept up the entire day due to, I assume, unbridled enthusiasm. If you have kids who don't whine and complain about walking I think it's way easier NOT to have a stroller, but it depends so much on your model of kid!

I am 68 years old, retired and in decent health, hip replacement in June 2017, and slightly on the heavier side. I stay fairly active with the grandkids, but I didn't walk much in advance this year. For July 2018 my Fitbit logged: Day #1: MK 11.49 miles, Day #2: HS 9.48 miles, Day #3: AK 10.51 miles, Day#4: MK 10.58 miles , Day #5: EP 11.4 miles Of course I was somewhat tired each night, but I wasn't exhausted.

We have a trip in September. We are bringing our youngest. He is a cashier so he is used to standing but I told him he needs to start doing some walking outside once the weather warms up to prepare. I know how he gets and I know from past trips to prep him early for the walking. I think it's just easier to be prepared. When my kids were younger it was a non-issue, I think because they have so much more energy and that excitement and the sugar rushes last longer.

I'm a pretty regular distance runner and for me, the standing still in lines is way worse on my legs and back than the walking. But it's a lot of walking. And the ground is largely concrete which can make a big difference even for just standing around.
That said, yes we normally walk 7-10+ miles per day. And the first time we went, we thought we wouldn't need a stroller for our 5 & 7 year old but boy were we wrong. After a few days we caved and rented a double stroller each day because they were good soldiers but you could see they were just wiped out. Not really what you want when you're supposed to be having fun.
Edited to add I think my advice would be to plan to use a stroller some days when you really plan to cover a lot of ground, or a few days in once they may peter out, but not necessarily every day. It depends on how gung ho you are while touring. If you are people who take breaks, maybe you don't need it. We were focused on getting our money's worth our first few trips so it was go go go.

Last edited:
According to our apple watches, we average 10 miles a day- some days are a mile over or under depending on the park, weather, and lines of course.
I've taken my kids at all ages- you might end up renting a stroller in the evenings for the four year old- mine did not use a stroller for the entire day after about age 3.
You said you are going in April- to me that is a plus. We have been in Nov, Dec, January/Feb, and summer- the summer heat really takes it out of you and definitely makes you more tired. However the Christmas crowds are a whole other beast- I've never been in April but I would think the weather won't be terribly hot (nothing like summer) and crowds should not be like holiday crowds- so I think that will help.
My DH and I have walked daily in prep for a trip- but my kids never have- especially at that age- they were very active anyway.
You will see their limits - and when they tire out- just rent a stroller for the rest of the day. The stroller may be necessary for the four year old and naps too- we've never gone back to the room for breaks- just always found a quiet, shady spot and the kids napped in the stroller- they were so tired it didn't matter where they were lol
Yes, Disney is definitely exhausting- they will be tired and they will probably complain about it a little- but they will be so happy to be there and experience everything.
4 and 7 are great ages for Disney- soak up every moment!

It depends how much you want to do.
It also makes a big difference how much criss crossing you do across the park.
We average 20 to 30k steps a day. EPCOT tends to be on the higher side.

For us, it isn't so much that the walking is tiring - we both work out several times a week and have relatively good endurance - it's the feet. At the end of the day, the bottoms of our feet really hurt and burn and it's easy to get blisters on toes, heels and tops of feet. I routinely travel with a number of different types of bandages and blister bandages in particular. We use at least some of them on every WDW trip even though we definitely make sure to take breaks during the day. I take ice packs with me and put them in the fridge. It helps a lot at the end of day to just sit with them on your feet to take down any heat and swelling.

I'd just take a single stroller. Even a light day of touring can easily be 5 miles and some days might be 10. I think, but I'm not sure - the trek from the TTC, to MK, once around MK and back to the car - I think that's about 3-5 miles.

It’s a lot of walking. We try to schedule an “off” day when possible (although Disney Springs doesn’t seem like an “off” day to my DH ..... lots of walking there too! o_O ). But that’s not always possible on short trips or when traveling with kids. We spend a lot of time at Epcot and the AK. When I caution WDW first-timers to prepare for lots of time on their feet (those that plan to spend every day at a theme park), they can be skeptical. But waiting in line counts too! Choose comfortable, supportive footwear and rest when you can.

Last edited:
Our first family trip was when the kids were 5 and 7 - that was about 10 years ago - so the crowds were less and I'm guessing we spent more time "doing things" and less time waiting. That may have made a difference, but my kids never used a stroller and never complained about the walking. They were so in awe of everything, they were always excited to see what was next - we pretty much did commando touring for 6 days straight. We were exhausted by the end for sure. No fitbits back then so can't tell you the miles we did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!