How much walking in WDW?

I know I did a nowhere from 7-10 miles each day. The walking wasn't bad, but the sore feet and occasional blisters slow me down.

We don't "train". Our first trip the kids were 10 and 7. We never did a stroller and we got tired before they did (hubs and I were in our 30's). I think the biggest thing is to be realistic. You won't do it all. If the kids get cranky and need an afternoon break then take it. KNow which attractions you can do to have a break in each park and still keep the kids semi-interested (like Hall of Presidents, Living with the Land, etc). And if you miss one of your must do's remember there is always next trip.

yeah, 10-12 miles a day is pretty regular at WDW. Even at DLP we did 10+ most days.
Luckily, we walk a lot at home, so no need to train, but, you REALLY need to not take new shoes to WDW, that's the biggest thing.
As long as you have comfy shoes, and shoes that are dry / dry out fast, then it's fine IME.

We were doing about 20k steps a day. I think that is around 10miles.

The key is to get in your lunch and late afternoon breaks in. Also be strategic about touring. Try not to zig zag from one corner of park to other.

My family is all bigger, and none of us exercise. I'm a waiter so the walking never bothers me, I'm used to it. My brother has an office job, and he tires out easily. My parents are in their 60s and do pretty well. They maybe take it a little slower during the day, or go back a little early at night. My nephew is always right there with me. When he was 5 he whined a little about walking so much, but ever since (last time he was there he was 11) he's on the go with me from early until close.

I’m pretty fit overall with a few issues, and my Fitbit shows 10-13 miles per day. That doesn’t include the time standing still in queues, which I think is harder than the actual walking. Even some of the queues are LONG, like the Little Mermaid ride in MK. I bet walking to the ride, through the queue, and back out is over 1/2 mile altogether.

In
I’m pretty fit overall with a few issues, and my Fitbit shows 10-13 miles per day. That doesn’t include the time standing still in queues, which I think is harder than the actual walking. Even some of the queues are LONG, like the Little Mermaid ride in MK. I bet walking to the ride, through the queue, and back out is over 1/2 mile altogether.
Right? That and Nemo. I get FP for those just to get a short walk

When my kids were that age, we did about 10 to 12 miles a day. An umbrella stroller helps a lot and as previously posted, is easy to transport. It also means that you are the one doing the 10 to 12 miles and the kids may 1/2 to 2/3rds of that. Also, I agree with the frequent break ideas - pool time, nap time, lay around and enjoy the sun time.
Dropped our daughter off at the college program at the end of January and in the 2 full days we had, we did 13 miles one day and 16 the next. So, yeah we try to get some extra tread mill time in before we go.

First walking in WDW is alot. But as mentioned it is doable and broke up in between breaks and waiting in lines. Secondly, stroller or no stroller. I used strollers on 6 trips with my kids aged 1-8 (3 of them, 2 years apart). We used single, double, jogging and umbrella strollers. We drove on all those trips and adding a stroller was not an issue.

Benefits of the strollers. I am fairly strong and always have a hectic agenda so it can be easier to load up the slow movers and go. Secondly we needed a place to put diapers, a cooler with waters, and snacks and sandwiches, jackets and even a small foldable stool for Grandma (she used for the parade). Needless to say I rolled through WDW like a gypsy boss completely aware of the disdain and hatred some others had for my setup and strollers in general.

The stroller is also nice for parade viewing on crowded days. It provides shade but more importantly as the crowds smash in and late arrivals jockey for that one square inch of space in front of your 3 year old, they cannot get in the stroller. So you always have that square footage for your kid(s).

But when my last kid got to age 3 we went with the umbrella stroller. Snacks and refillable water bottles moved to a backpack. I loved the ease and diminutive size but missed a storage area.

Now with a stroller you just don't hop on a ride with the zombie hoard walkers. You gotta park that baby somewhere and hope it's there when you return. Sometimes you enter an attraction a Disney CM takes your stroller to the exit side for you. Sometimes the CM's consolidate the strollers and move them a bit, but you shouldn't have more than a few minutes to find it. But whichever adult gets the stroller they usually do more walking, fetching of the child's chariot, if you will.

Only you know your kids, their capabilities and your tolerance of said attitudes. Their physical size is also an issue, smaller ok...heavier get to walking 'cause pushing them is gonna get old really quickly.

Finally check https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/rules-updates-parks-resorts/ for stroller size requirements versus your model(s). As crowds increase the rules are tightening.

Last edited:
We average about 10 miles per day on our WDW trips. Be sure your shoes are made for walking and occasional rain because it sure makes a difference.

Something about Disney makes you feel like you aren't walking 20,000 plus steps a day! It is more about the shoes. Don't get new shoes before the trip- wear broken in shoes. I also think one umbrella stroller will serve you better as you will set the expectation that at least one kid is walking at all times. Kids are pretty resilient until they see an easy way out. Enjoy your trip!

You're going to be fine. Don't commando tour, build in swimming time, and sit down when you feel like it. We stopped with a stroller at 3 b/c my kid just wasn't much for a stroller anywhere. You have to go slower.

Your kids are going to sleep like logs.

I'm also not entirely convinced that the step counters are accurate b/c you spend a lot of time shuffling in line but not really walking those steps. That said, it's a lot of walking on concrete and even the fittest members of my family have tired legs.

We are training. Our biggest mileage last time was 16 miles in a day and we averaged around 7 / 9. Me and DH went to DW for our honeymoon years ago and I did a 15 / 16 hour day in Primark (dont know if there is anything similar in USA but it's a UK v cheap store) sandals. I shredded my feet to the point where now I have an ongoing issue with the ligaments in my feet. Now me and DH always make sure a few weeks in advance we are prepared for a 10 mile walk and no more cheap shoes!

If you're the one pushing the stroller, it can be pretty strenuous. We were there for 10 days 2 years ago, and pushing a double stroller with 100 pounds worth of child/bag/stroller weight for 5-10 miles a day, you'll start to feel it. I think my body knew exactly how far I could push it, as the only time I remember really feeling it was as we were walking up the hill coming out of the International Gateway heading back to the BWV on our last night. It is a good idea to "train" for a few months before you go. My family and I used to take "Disney walks" for the few months leading up to our trips.

If you're the one pushing the stroller, it can be pretty strenuous. We were there for 10 days 2 years ago, and pushing a double stroller with 100 pounds worth of child/bag/stroller weight for 5-10 miles a day, you'll start to feel it. I think my body knew exactly how far I could push it, as the only time I remember really feeling it was as we were walking up the hill coming out of the International Gateway heading back to the BWV on our last night. It is a good idea to "train" for a few months before you go. My family and I used to take "Disney walks" for the few months leading up to our trips.

This is a bit of my concern. I'm wondering if it's better to "park" the stroller in some midway point and then grab it if the kids start losing it a bit. Or maybe proactively grab it every 1.5 hours or something? Not quite sure what would be a good plan, hmm.

We did 71 miles in 9 days, 7 park days in June according to our Fitbit. My kids were 5 and 6, very typical kids, not super hikers/athletes. We walked to McDonald's a few times beforehand to “train” but that’s like 3 blocks away- haha! We budgeted to rent a stroller if needed, but never did. They didn’t complain one single time. I think a lot of kids wouldn’t think to ask for a stroller if it wasn’t offered. We did plan our days to minimize walking and did a 2 park days, one day off pattern.

You will walk a lot as other's have said. But it will be the adults who will have trouble. Your kids will do fine. I would not bring a stroller because as said, your kids will do fine and all it does and puts their weight on you to push. I

f you are really worried about it you can start walking with your kids and not tell them they are walking for Disney. You are just walking to walk. And this also gives you time to spend with your kids every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter