How old must children be to be "unattended" at the fort?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
For example, for kids to leave their site/cabin, get on the internal bus, and get a snack from the Settlement trading post, without an adult? Thanks!

Hum, this can be really opinionated and possibly cause a stir but hopefully not.

My girls are 12 and 6 and I wouldn't allow them to do it. A lot of places you go such as pools will have signs that may read "no one under the age of 12 allowed without supervision" but the example you give I cannot recall seeing any specific rule about riding an internal bus and buying stuff at the Settlement. Swimming at the pools, horseback riding, operating golf carts yes there is a minimum age / weight.

Just have to use your judgement. Some of the 12 y/o are more responsible than 15 y/o. Or even 25 y/o for that matter...

OP, you know your kids best as to whether they are mature enough to navigate around and not get distracted from their task at hand. The bus drivers are too busy spreading unsubstantiated gossip to keep up with them. :drive:

Bama Ed

It also makes a difference is there 1 or 2 or more. I'd let them go by themselves if they're old enough to do it at home. WDW is no different than home.

Hum, this can be really opinionated and possibly cause a stir but hopefully not.

My girls are 12 and 6 and I wouldn't allow them to do it. A lot of places you go such as pools will have signs that may read "no one under the age of 12 allowed without supervision" but the example you give I cannot recall seeing any specific rule about riding an internal bus and buying stuff at the Settlement. Swimming at the pools, horseback riding, operating golf carts yes there is a minimum age / weight.

Just have to use your judgement. Some of the 12 y/o are more responsible than 15 y/o. Or even 25 y/o for that matter...
Thanks! Yes, I know a lot of families/individuals have their own rules and opinions--but I was wondering if there was any official Disney policy. I will be at the Fort with my family in January and will probably order groceries to be delivered to our cabin. My husband and older kids will be taking a later flight and not arriving until late at night. I was just trying to think--if I needed to wait around for the groceries, but my younger kids (age 11 and 13) were hungry "RIGHT NOW" would it be ok to send them off to buy something to eat? :)

OP, you know your kids best as to whether they are mature enough to navigate around and not get distracted from their task at hand. The bus drivers are too busy spreading unsubstantiated gossip to keep up with them. :drive:

Bama Ed

Haha! Yes, I was just picturing the bus driver interrogating them as they get on the bus! "How old are you? Do your parents know where you are?"

For example, for kids to leave their site/cabin, get on the internal bus, and get a snack from the Settlement trading post, without an adult? Thanks!

Our oldest, a dd, would have been plenty capable of taking an internal bus at Disney to the trading post. At 13, she was very mature, and very trustworthy. Our ds 10 would have been fine with her. Our ds, at 13, alone - no!! You know your children best!

1) Our rules say 12-years-old.
2) But, "the rules are more like guidelines".
3) If the child can navigate on their own, almost any age is fine to be on-their-own.
4) And, with the atmosphere of The Fort, I would have no worry for their safety.

Our oldest, a dd, would have been plenty capable of taking an internal bus at Disney to the trading post. At 13, she was very mature, and very trustworthy. Our ds 10 would have been fine with her. Our ds, at 13, alone - no!! You know your children best!

This made me chuckle because my first thought when I saw this thread was, "depends on if they are girls or boys." Of course, it's not always the case, but girls are usually ready for such things at younger ages. My girls could navigate the bus system from resorts to parks and do what they wanted as teenagers. No way could my sons have handled it as young teens. They're doing good to handle it as adults. :tongue:

Back in the 70's, at the age of 8, with my 10 year old sister, we would ride the monorail from the Contemporary to MK and do the park alone until we used up all our tickets. We went every year, and I only have one memory of our parents every being in the park with us, and it was only for a short time because my mom wanted to ride IASW and see Country Bear Jamboree. My sister and I were NOT happy about using our tickets on IASW, as we both hated it.

Nobody ever said a word to us, at those ages, entering the park or riding alone. It was commonplace back then. Fast forward some years when I was a young teen bride on my honeymoon at Disney. While sitting on a bench, a CM asked me if I had lost my parents. I was embarrassed and horrified. When I told her that I was waiting on my husband, she was apologetic and commented that I looked so young. Thinking back on it now, I WAS so young, but felt like an adult at the time. Just shows how the times were already starting to change.

I think Disney put into effect a policy for being alone while in the parks of age 14. I see that TRS said 12 at the Fort.

Mine were roaming around at age 10 and 11 but were very familiar with the areas, had phones, looked like they were older - I had big and tall kids - girls 5 ft 9, boy 6ft3in at age 12, etc, but I still knew where they were going and for how long and was very strict about time they were to be gone.

I also subscribe to the idea that nowhere is completely risk free, not even the Fort and that common sense should be used. You should not live in fear but don't put yourself out there either.

I would however allow my hungry 11 and 13 year old ride the bus to the Meadows to get a snack and something for me also. I would also stay in contact via phone and count the minutes until they returned.

I think it is a very valid question. While I am paranoid about the pool and rarely leave mine.....I do let them wander pretty far on bikes when camping. Due to the size of the Fort....(although I have never actually been)....I have also put some thought into this....as to how far I would be comfortable letting them loop on their bikes.

not very helpful, but I do think it is a good ? to consider and put thought into.

At ages 11 and 13 yes I would let them "wander" around the Fort. Whether it was to the pool, comfort station, snack bar ect. I would have no problem letting kids that age have some freedom around the Fort or Disney parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter